Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jhdavidsen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2007, 02:15 PM
    Ceiling fixture, one wire too many
    I'm having trouble installing a new ceiling light where one once was. The new fixture has two white and two black, plus a ground wire. The ceiling opening has two white, two black, a ground and one red wire. The ceiling light is controlled by a wall switch. Wiring black to black and white to white (not attaching the red) results in the ceiling fixture not working. Wiring fixture black to ceiling red, and white to white results in the ceiling fixture not working. Rather than going through all the combinations, what is the proper wiring?
    ken8786 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2007, 02:36 PM
    Read the insurrections for the fan and determine the hot and neutral wires. Turn on the switch using a meter determine the hot and neutral wires. Then hook up to fan following instructions. Different fans have varied instructions depending on the fan.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2007, 02:38 PM
    One switch, or was there another one on the other side of the room that controlled the light too? Open up the box at the switch and post back with what wires are in the box and how they are connected.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 21, 2007, 04:29 PM
    Was the previous fixture a ceiling fan with a light?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2007, 05:53 PM
    You could test light fixture and bulb with an extension cord. If it works, hook the 2 whites on light together with the white(s) in ceiling. Then try the red. If it doesn't work, remove switch and note wire colors. Black and Red I hope.
    Menhuin Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2011, 08:53 AM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    No it is not and was not a fan. Just a simple two wire light fixture that came down. I have tried to put the same one back (as I failed with the new one) now the old one will not turn off.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 22, 2011, 05:05 PM

Menhuin, you sure you have the right post, this was 4 years ago from a guy named davidsen.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to connect a ceiling light fixture [ 14 Answers ]

I just hooked-up a new light fixture but it doesn't work. Any ideas? The bulb is OK, and other lights on the circuit work. The ceiling has three wires, two of which are twisted together, which I believe is for the dimmer. The fixture has two wires; I connected one to one from the ceiling, and the...

Adding second ceiling fixture [ 1 Answers ]

My kitchen has 1 fluorescent ceiling fixture and I want to replace it with 2 chandeliers. How do I add the 2nd box for the new light? ( it's 3 feet away from the existing box)

Water in Ceiling Light Fixture [ 2 Answers ]

A light fixture in a bedroom closet blew a bulb and upon opening the fixture I found water/moisture dripping form the conduit. The ceiling conduit goes into the attic and it is very cold and dry this time of year. There IS NO SIGN OF WATER IN THE ATTIC. Everything is bone dry and no water marks...

Ceiling fixture [ 1 Answers ]

I have a light switch that controls the electrical sockets in the wall. I had an existing electrical box in the ceiling and I put a light up but it would not work. So I put up a ceiling fan thinking it would work because of the pull string. Well nothing is working and I don't know what I should...

Ceiling fan light fixture [ 1 Answers ]

Trying to replace the ceiling fan light fixture in this house... how do I get the plastic connectors off the wiring to put on new connectors - the connectors in the light kit I bought do not fit the wiring in the ceiling fan, so I need to replace the connectors, right? I'm soooooooo clueless!

View more questions Search