Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    akshaysrinivasan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2007, 06:25 AM
    Choice of Field for Higher Studies
    Respected Sir/Madam,

I am Akshay Srinivasan and I am doing my 2nd year in B.Tech Biotechnology in India.I took up this course as I was fascinated by it.Now I am a little confused as what I exactly need to be doing for my future studies.

I was not a Biology student in my intermediate.I had done computers with mathematics instead.But I have a lot of interest in the subject and I am doing well in it in my college.I am very interested in the field of "genetics".But I am a little confused as to if I really do have the right basics for this subject or no.I wanted to start my preparations for GRE in a month's time,but I wanted to have a clear view of what I really want.I have also been thinking of MBA after my B Tech,but would just like to know as to what background I would get into then and if it would also be a good choice.I am at the moment a little confused and would be grateful if I could get some help on this issue.

Thanking You,
    Akshay Srinivasan
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Dec 4, 2007, 07:41 AM
    There are two areas for you to consider: what discipline to you want to pursue, and what kind of work do you want to do? The education you'll need for academic research in biotechnology is different than the education you'll need to do work in industry in microbiology, for example.

Ask yourself if you want to emphasize the biology side of your career, the technology side, or both. An MBA would mean you'll be doing management - in biotech that would mean working on the business side of things with little direct contact with research & applications.

Best approach is to determine which fields you're interested in first. Not having the right basics is not a huge deal, if you're prepared to pick up a few more courses to fill in the holes. Some university programs will admit you on a provisional basis and require you to complete the missing undergrad courses within your first year.

You can research specific jobs here:

O*NET OnLine Help

Type biotechnologist, geneticist, etc. in the Occupation Quick Search field at the upper right. This will give you information about education required, earning potential, job market, skills required, etc. For specific requirements for a university, look at the grad school catalog available on their website.

Vasily

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to get into the Health care field/ Sonography is it a good choice? [ 5 Answers ]

I am going to start school in January at a Community College and I want to major in Pre Diagnostic medical Sonography do you think this would be a good career path? And do you think that Sonographers are always guaranteed jobs? If not what would be a better field to study in Health care while I...

How can I jump higher? [ 3 Answers ]

How can I jump higher? Are high leapers born or made? Is it too late for me to become a pretty good player now that I'm 23? Am I starting training too late?

Higher studies [ 1 Answers ]

I want to do MBA in course,as am working as software engineer,I want to do MBA for my higher studies in course,I have a doute which stream in MBA is best suite for my career. Regards, ...

Higher studies [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everybody, Am doing my bachelor degree in Biotechnology (B.Tech) And willing to do my higher studies in UK. I need to know top 10 universities offering MS Biotechnology with scholarship facilities Help me...

A Higher Standard [ 7 Answers ]

My friends and I do a bunch of reading of inspirational materials. Here's one a friend sent to me that I think its particularly powerful. Most of my life I've been a closet slob.... Then I got married.... I enrolled in a twelve-step program for slobs. ("My name is Max, I hate to vacuum.") A...

View more questions Search