Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    olivejoshme Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

May 18, 2007, 12:40 PM
    Pay in advance?
    I've seen a few job listings in the classifieds stating that if you pay an upfront fee they will get you a job. I was wary about this, but that is what my mother said she did 23 years ago to get the job she currently has.

I just saw another listing in the paper (And called this one) because it is a 'government job' with USPS. I called them and they said it would be a one time fee of $35.28+S&H (turns out to be $20 more) for a packet of information on testing, testing centers, and application information for the USPS in my area. They also stated that if I do not get a job with USPS in my area within 1 year they will fully refund my money with an additional $35.

Has anyone else done this or should I be worried it is a scam? They say you can pay with credit card or check by phone. I really would be interested in such a job, but $58 and change is something I cannot afford to just have scammed - let alone I would have to do a check by phone, a direct link to any money that I do have saved. I would like your input please.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2007, 12:51 PM
    I won't go so far as to say they are scams. I will just say that they don't always deliver on their promises. How could they? They don't know your skills or background.

If you are looking for a job with the government. This is a great site. USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 18, 2007, 12:55 PM
    To get a job with the USPS all you have to do is sit for the test, and score high enough and have an application in. All you are paying for in this package is how to do what you can do free.

This is common where web sites charge to get your birth certifictes or social security cards, Oftenin nothing fraud about them, but these places do not do the hiring they merely sell you info you can get free.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 18, 2007, 02:17 PM
    Are those places asking for an upfront fee a licensed employment agency? When my husband and I moved to Spokane, WA. We used one of those private agencies simply because we did not know where to start. We filled out the applications, they lined up the interviews and within two weeks we both had employment. BUT we checked that place out - asked to see references from both employers and people who used them to obtain employment. We checked with the state of WA to see if they were licensed to do business. You need to do some homework - don't trust an ad.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 18, 2007, 05:20 PM
    Yes there are good real employment agencies, they have offices, and will teach you proper resumes, how to dress, help teach you to interview

They have client companies that often hire people from them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Workmans compensation advance [ 1 Answers ]

I am on workmans comp. and since my injury I have fallen behind on my bills (I'm only getting 1/3 of what I was bringing home) I did ask my lawyer to request a advance from my settlement money. My lawyer was unsure of how long it would take to get a response from work comp. so I was just wondering...

Advance maths [ 2 Answers ]

Need some help with vectors and functions or any website with these information relating to vectors and functions. VECTORS -addition, subtraction, and multiplication of vectors by a scalar -displacement and position vectors -magnitude of a vector -equal. Parallel and perpendicular vectors ...

Pretax accounts for newborns (in advance?) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My wife and I are expecting a child in a few months. We would like to purchase the necessary equipment -- car seats, strollers etc -- with pre-tax dollars. 1) Am I allowed to use my own pretax account (set up in my name) for these expenses? AND/OR

View more questions Search