Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    happy2003 Posts: 43, Reputation: 8

Dec 29, 2008, 01:19 PM
    Graduate School Recommendation Letters
    I'm having a tough time with an issue arising from gathering these letters. I have been out of school for more than a year and I am not in contact with my former professors. Most schools say professional recommendations are good as well. I've been working mostly as a freelancer since graduating, and just recently took an administrative job 3 months ago. Two of these freelance clients have agreed to write me stellar recommendations as I have done a lot of work for both of them, we have a good working relationship, and I can continue doing projects for them while attending school.

The problem? One of these schools wants a current resume and letter from the applicants present employer. This is my catch 22. My current employer knows nothing about my grad school aspirations, and would certainly be unhappy that I would be leaving POSSIBLY in six months to attend school. Acceptance isn't guaranteed of course, and I like this job. How do I go about approaching this without totally rocking the boat?
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2008, 01:23 PM

Well it sounds to me like maybe you should tell your employer you're going to be leaving for grad school before you ask for their help. It sounds like you're on the right track though. Is there any way you can get in contact with your former professors?
    happy2003 Posts: 43, Reputation: 8

Dec 30, 2008, 09:26 AM

UPDATE: I guess you really don't know how people are going to react until you talk to them...

I came into work early to talk to my boss. I just let him know that I am applying to graduate school and some programs are in different cities, some are online. Also, I assured him that I enjoyed my job. Surprisingly, he appreciated me telling him my plans, he understood that I'm not guaranteed admission anywhere, and he said that it was admirable that a young person wants to further their education. So he agreed to write the required letter for the east coast school confirming that I work here and I am a good employee. Keep your fingers crossed for me...

I'm surprised because this man is very difficult... and hard to read...
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2008, 11:32 AM

Well good for you! Aren't you glad you talked to him about it? Most employers, I think, support education, even if it's not in the field that you are working. For example, my husband was at a job last year that paid for him to take classes for video game design. He worked in a factory.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is Graduate school education necessary for a Lady? [ 4 Answers ]

In time when people think ladies should attain the level 1st Degrees and start taking care of their children.I don't think it will be proper for the girls to go as high as the Masters and PhD level.1st degree is important for their base and they can take care of their matrimonial homes and thiking...

Graduate school admission [ 2 Answers ]

Hi , I am an international student applying for masters in biotechnology and a second option as masters in computerscience.I am trying for a graduate school in California.I did not manage to get a good score in GRE (880/1600) and my toefl score is 94/120 .I have a good GPA.do I stand a chance...

Looking for a Graduate School Of Ed. For Ph.D. [ 3 Answers ]

Have been a teacher for many years and am now getting into teaching Educ. Courses at the college level. I want to begin pursuing a doctorate (preferably Ph.D. Ed.D. fine too). Problem is I will be likely (although not certainly) moving in the next 1-2 years. Meaning I don't want to start a...

Son didn't graduate high school what to do? [ 7 Answers ]

:( Hello my son dropped out of school at the end of his senior year. He thought he was doing the right thing We live in Ky. He got a job in Fl. Making 25 an hour. This is good for a 18 year old boy so he thought. The company got in trouble now he has no job or diploma. He now has no job. This...

View more questions Search