Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2013, 08:25 PM
    Stop talking out of your hat, if there is one thing that is extremely difficult to change it is our constitution, it has only been changed on rare occasions. We have rights, the same rights you had when you defeated King George. What will be swept away is anyone who gets above themselves and sometimes we don't have to wait for an election for that to happen, in fact, I think I see it happening now, another night of the long knives approaches
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2013, 08:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    Stop talking out of your hat, if there is one thing that is extremely difficult to change it is our constitution, it has only been changed on rare occasions. We have rights, the same rights you had when you defeated King George. What will be swept away is anyone who gets above themselves and sometimes we don't have to wait for an election for that to happen, in fact, I think I see it happening now, another night of the long knives approaches
    Yeah... time for another revision of the week... how much is left of what you had 10 years ago... much less since your independence? Apparently nothing is sacrosanct in your constitution. Based on your own statements.

That's were we differ greatly... most of ours IS sacrosanct. Or at least so difficult to change... it takes a long time AND a huge effort along with massive support among the voters.
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2013, 08:46 PM
    What part of difficult to alter don't you understand, that makes all of it's clauses sacrosanct. You are off in la la land, revision of the week?

The only Constitutional debate at the moment is whether to include recognition of first peoples or original inhabitants who aren't recognised as a separate people in the constitution. Some time in the future we may revisit the republic debate

The only changes to our rights in recent times are the same sort of changes you suffered after 9/11 and they weren't constitutional changes because our parliament has the power to make laws pertaining to criminal acts
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 14, 2013, 08:52 PM
    The constitution was not written to be worshiped, it a guide to building a more perfect. Like our nation its an ongoing works in process despite right wing disbelief that it gets better, or the lack of willingness to move forward, not back.

Thank god their numbers are dwindling so the collective noise they make is and will be less deafening. Leave 'em alone and they will eat their own.
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2013, 12:12 AM
    I have to disagree that your Constitution is like old wine, it gets better with age or that it is improving. What I find amazing is after this long you have to constantly refer to it. We have learn't the rules and we rarely refer to it. That won't always be so here but there has been no serious attempt to alter it in ten, maybe, twenty years.You see we have to get a majority of voters and a majority of states, something like your electoral college, it is very difficult to do
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 15, 2013, 02:38 AM
    That's what happens when a bunch of immigrants from many cultures are thrown together Clete, there are frictions and conflicts to be resolved. The once dominant immigrants are no longer at the top of the food chain assimilating the lesser ones. The constitution is all they have to hold onto besides their guns and the rich.

But the constitutions says that slave and master are equals but master still doesn't want to share. Because then he must submit to assimilation himself. That will take a while.
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2013, 03:20 AM
    Do you really think that is the problem, we have as many cultures and peoples and no reason to retreat into our constitutional fortress, in another hundred years it may be different

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What does my dream mean, Friend/Murder/Friend watches own murder. [ 9 Answers ]

In my dream I murdered one of my really good friends, but in the end when I was standing next to my friends body, that same friend was alive standing next to me and telling me thank you so much for killing her...

80's Cop comedy. Cop thinks he has fatal disease so takes risks? Title? [ 1 Answers ]

Should be an easy one for the experts, title should explain it all, but cop thinks he has fatal disease and 6 months to live, (because of mix up at doctor), also if he dies in action his family gets more money, so he takes many crazy risks during his work as a cop. Sorry can't even picture the...

Charged with attempt murder of cop [ 2 Answers ]

On march 29th of 2007,icame home from work at 2:30pm on anice sunny day.I picked up a6 pack of beer and was going to fix aproblem with my well.I'm a plumber.I came in the house and could not find the keys to my garage,so I asked the girl that was living with me at the time where they were,she had...

2 part movie, murderer dressed as cop or maybe was cop [ 1 Answers ]

Can't think of the name. Was a two nighter, 4 hours. Murderer had a police uniform on, so people trusted him. Remember a winnebago ( I think) was the getaway for people that had been kidnapped by bad cop. Large mean dogs also, dobermans, I think. Bad guy sort of looked like mean doc on scrubs,...

Murder movie about a cop that is a killer? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm not really sure if it was supposed to be a movie but I assume it was. I saw this about a year or two ago. I remember towards the beginning of it the murderer (who could not be seen because it was not known who he was) said "We were only 12 at the time, no one would have suspected us." That...

View more questions Search