Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 11, 2021, 09:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Read the Matthew 25 passage to find out. Read John 3:16 to find out. Read the list of scriptures I posted to find out.
    After they read literalist JL's pronouncement, the mountains and hills burst into song, and all the trees of the field clapped their hands. (Is. 55:12)
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2021, 12:04 PM
    Oh come on. You’re not stupid. Making a statement figurative simply because you don’t like it is nonsense. You know better. You’re making yourself look silly.

Matthew 25 is plainly not meant to be taken figuratively. It’s a sign of desperation to suggest it is. Same is true of John 3:16.

It’s just another failed use of being unable to answer the message, you attack the messenger. Sad. I expected more from you.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 11, 2021, 12:29 PM
    Oh come on. You’re not stupid. Making a statement figurative simply because you don’t like it is nonsense. You know better. You’re making yourself look silly.

Matthew 25 is plainly not meant to be taken figuratively. It’s a sign of desperation to suggest it is. Same is true of John 3:16.

It’s just another failed use of being unable to answer the message, you attack the messenger. Sad. I expected more from you.
    As Jonathan Swift so eloquently said in “Polite Conversation”, “There are none so blind as JL and those who will not see” -- paraphrased from Jeremiah 5:12: “Hear now this, oh foolish people, and without understanding; which have eyes, and see not; which have ears and hear not.”
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2021, 12:33 PM
    And again. No answers to serious questions, so you resort to silly personal attacks. Won’t work. People are smarter than that. You abandoned the texts in question to chase rabbits. Given the choice between believing you or believing Jesus, I’m going with Jesus.

Besides, I am choosing to take your statement figuratively to mean that you fully agree with my view of the subject.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2021, 01:52 PM
    To love your neighbor certainly does not abrogate the judgement of God

Jesus said the second commandment - Love thy neighbor as thyself - was like the first which was to Love God with your whole mind, heart, and soul.

Every person who has ever read this knows instantly that "neighbor" means all other people. Especially when "as thyself" is prominently included in the commandment. In spite of this commandment to love your neighbor, you have Jesus condemning to hell for eternity those neighbors who believe differently than you. They may have never heard of Jesus, lived before Jesus lived, or simply didn't believe in Jesus. Jesus condemning these people to eternal punishment in hell is as far from an act of love as is possible. If you maintain that God the Father is the ultimate judge who does the condemning, than you are faced with the contradiction of God the Father denying the commandment of God the Son.

Jesus praying for the forgiveness specifically of those who crucified Him doesn't either. That was pretty weak.
    On the cross, Jesus, God the Son, asked his father, God the Father, "to forgive them, for they know not what they do".
    According to you, when these unbelievers died Jesus would condemn them to hell for eternal punishment. If Jesus asked they be forgiven and God the Father already forgave them, why would God (the judge) or Jesus (God the Son) send them to hell?
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2021, 02:49 PM
    I haven’t condemned anyone to anything. Nothing is according to me. I have quoted Jesus whom you do not believe. Posting the two great commandments does nothing to amend his statements. I have no regard for what you think. I have regard for the words of Christ. The one who established the two great commandments also spoke of hell and judgment as very real. You are cherry-picking only what you like. Thanks for giving WG a demonstration of the real thing.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 11, 2021, 02:54 PM
    I haven’t condemned anyone to anything. Nothing is aacoeding to me. I have quoted Jesus whom you do not believe. Posting the two great commandments does nothing to amend his statements.
    No, you've cherry-picked Jesus' words and tweaked His meaning to fit your personal beliefs and hopes.
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2021, 02:59 PM
    I haven’t ascribed meaning. I have provided a tidal wave of the words of Jesus and the New Testament. You have rejected it since it does not agree with you. Too bad. There’s really nothing else to be said. Pitiful excuses don’t amount to clear thinking.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 11, 2021, 03:03 PM
    I haven’t ascribed meaning. I have provided a tidal wave of the words of Jesus and the New Testament. You have rejected it since it does not agree with you.
    I have rejected your understanding of Jesus' words.
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2021, 03:09 PM
    I haven’t given you my understanding. I simply supplied his words. You reject them.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 11, 2021, 03:12 PM
    I haven’t given you my understanding. I simply supplied his words. You reject them.
    Your LITERAL understanding....
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2021, 03:13 PM
    I have given you no description at all. You have rejected his words.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 11, 2021, 03:17 PM
    I have given you no description at all. You have rejected his words.
    Your LITERAL understanding of the verses you've cherrypicked to prove your point....
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2021, 03:23 PM
    I have not given you my understanding literal or otherwise. You have rejected Christ.

And your cherry pick contention of 35 verses is simply stupid. You know better than that.

But I tell you what. You post all the verses that say there is no hell or judgment and we can discuss it. Until then there is nothing left to discuss.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 11, 2021, 03:41 PM
    Until then there is nothing left to discuss.
    Okey doke. I'll wave to you from heaven.
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2021, 03:45 PM
    Typical reply.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 11, 2021, 03:52 PM
    Typical reply.
    And he always wants the last word....
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2021, 03:54 PM
    I haven’t condemned anyone to anything.
    You support the false teaching on hell. Same thing. You are quick to call others cowards, yet you yourself refuse to explain your belief other than "The Bible told me so". Nothing is more cowardly.

Posting the two great commandments does nothing to amend his statements.
    They amend YOUR support of eternal punishment in hell for unbelievers. The two great commandments are the exact opposite of your belief. How do you explain the contradiction between Jesus' commandment and Matthew's line you love to quote? Both can't be true. You can go along with Matthew. I'll follow Jesus.

I have regard for the words of Christ. The one who established the two great commandments also spoke of hell and judgment as very real.
    Then explain why the two contradict each other. You can't, can you? I'm not trying to embarrass you. I'm trying to open your eyes.

You are cherry-picking only what you like.
    No, my Bible verses represent the main thrust of Jesus' message, no way are they cherry-picking. They also represent the long evolution of the OT to the NT of Christ.
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2021, 05:04 PM
    I haven’t supported anything. I haven’t told you my beliefs. I have posted the MANY passages where Jesus spoke on the subject. You reject him so you reject his word and even characterize it as a false teaching. So the words spoken by Christ are a false teaching since it doesn’t agree with you. Incredible.

They don’t contradict. One speaks of love and others of judgment. They are not mutually exclusive.

when you refer to two passages and ignore 35 then you are cherry picking.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 11, 2021, 05:28 PM
    when you refer to two passages and ignore 35 then you are cherry picking.
    When you refer to 35 verses and ignore the remaining 31,067 and what God was telling us in them, you are cherry picking.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lexmark genesis s815 [ 1 Answers ]

This same thing is happening to my printer... Lexmark genesis s815. All pages are printing blank. The ink is showing as full on the screen but it is not being delivered to print the pages... I am extremely fed up now. I have installed everything properly, this is my third Lexmark printer, so I know...

Translations of the meaning 'Genesis' [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm looking for various translations of the meaning of Genesis (Birth, creation). The question overlaps into religious groups (Janana - Hindi). Can you help? Thanks.

Lifespans in Genesis (Bere****) [ 48 Answers ]

At synagogue recently there was a reading from the Torah about the age of Noah when he died. It said that he lived to be 950 years old. Afterwards I read some other passages from Genesis and lots of other people had super long lives, too. So: Did people just live longer then? Or, Did they...

View more questions Search