Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 27, 2020, 05:41 AM
    That was pretty good JL. Took a minute to soak in, but I got it! 8D

Post #79 response

1. You make a mountain from a molehill, and crazy to mix english standards with math standards. Dissapointing comparison.

2. It was my honest opinion, but more accurately Athos's honest opinion I agreed with. Thus my vote which I didn't have to hold my nose to make. Can't you just vote NO without the jibber jabber?
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2020, 05:48 AM
    It was my honest opinion, but more accurately Athos's honest opinion I agreed with.
    Opinion about what? He had many of them. If you are agreeing with his opinion of Trump, then that's to be expected. Please, please tell me you are not agreeing with his ideas about direct quotations and paraphrasing.

Tell me again what the "8D" means. I am old.

You make a mountain from a molehill,
    You might be right about that. To explain, we have an old saying in Mississippi that I'm sure you are familiar with. "Don't pour water (we actually use a different word) out of your boot on my head and try to tell me it's raining." Well, don't use a direct quote and then try to tell me it's a paraphrase. The truth still matters.

crazy to mix english standards with math standards. Dissapointing comparison.
    Talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill. Goodness.
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2020, 06:23 AM
    Another laugh.

Expert

Apr 27, 2020, 06:35 AM
    Now that was a hoot!

Tell me again what the "8D" means. I am old.
    Turn your head sideways and see if it makes sense you old coot!
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2020, 10:21 AM
    Smiley face???
    Expert

Apr 27, 2020, 12:22 PM
    Actually its a huge grin face. 8) is a smiley face.
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2020, 01:33 PM
    Gosh!! It's all so complicated. 8D
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2020, 05:36 PM
    {:()>
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2020, 05:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Evidently in your world copying and pasting exactly another person's words amounts to a liberal paraphrase.
    Trouble reading? Here is what I said. If you had followed my instructions, you would learn something.

You are clueless in many things. As a literalist, there is much beyond paraphrasing that you miss. Trump communicates to his flock in more ways than one. Google "dog whistle" to learn one way.

Note: "...beyond paraphrasing..."

Employing provocative and inaccurate descriptions of a person's words is completely honest...in your world, at least.
    I was describing Trump's incitement to his supporters to "liberate" Virginia. They obeyed, as the picture clearly shows, armed with AR-15s and AK-47s and toting pro-Trump signs. Reports from all over the country described the incident exactly as I did. Why you characterize my words as inaccurate is simply another indication of your inability (or refusal) to comprehend the obvious.
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2020, 05:44 PM
    refusal to comprehend the obvious.
    got it in one
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2020, 05:44 PM
    It's alright Athos. I realize your world is a very different place. Hope you enjoy it. I'm just glad I don't live there where a paraphrase and a direct quote are interchangeable. For example, I stated, "I quoted Athos exactly." Your ridiculous reply was, ""Somebody is confused. " Well, you were write about somebody being confused. The somebody was you.

As to the pres, here is your QUOTE.

"Trump calls for insurrection."

"Republicans will turn a blind eye. But history books will say: In April of 2020, when the pandemic had already claimed 35,000 lives, the President of the United States incited people to storm their statehouses with AR-15s and AK-47s."

Never called for insurrection. Never called for guns. Never called for anyone to storm a statehouse. Your description was ridiculous.
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2020, 05:59 PM
    Never called for insurrection. Never called for guns. Never called for anyone to storm a statehouse. Your description was ridiculous.
    You still don't get it. I suggested you read up on "dog whistle"
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 27, 2020, 06:31 PM
    It's alright Athos. I realize your world is a very different place. Hope you enjoy it. I'm just glad I don't live there where a paraphrase and a direct quote are interchangeable.
    That is not what Athos and I have said. They are NOT interchangeable!
    JL said -- As to the pres, here is your QUOTE.

"Trump calls for insurrection."

"Republicans will turn a blind eye. But history books will say: In April of 2020, when the pandemic had already claimed 35,000 lives, the President of the United States incited people to storm their statehouses with AR-15s and AK-47s."

"Incite," according to Dictionary.com et al. is defined as "to stir, encourage, or urge on."

Trump definitely stirred and encouraged his base to "liberate," which they interpreted to mean make signs, pull their semi-automatics out from under the bed, flout social-distancing orders, eschew protective masks, and assemble with signs and guns (while coughing and sneezing on each other?) to storm government buildings.

(Haven't we already been down this road but with fish-tank cleaner. disinfectants, and UV light?)
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2020, 06:46 PM
    They are NOT interchangeable!
    Well I'm glad you finally see the light. So when Tal puts words within quotation marks, he is not paraphrasing as you said he was in post 43. We are making progress at last.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 27, 2020, 07:16 PM
    Well I'm glad you finally see the light. So when Tal puts words within quotation marks, he is not paraphrasing as you said he was in post 43. We are making progress at last.
    You really don't get it, do you.
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2020, 07:19 PM
    I get this very well. "So when Tal puts words within quotation marks, he is not paraphrasing as you said he was in post 43." That I get very plainly.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 27, 2020, 07:23 PM
    I get this very well. "So when Tal puts words within quotation marks, he is not paraphrasing as you said he was in post 43." That I get very plainly.
    Nope. You've missed the boat.

And do you see the mistake in this sentence of yours in your post I quoted in #43?

"And, I suppose, in your's as well, and that's a scary thought."
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2020, 07:55 PM

What you posted and I copied.

Trump Calls for Insurrection

Republicans will turn a blind eye. But history books will say: In April of 2020, when the pandemic had already claimed 35,000 lives, the President of the United States incited people to storm their statehouses with AR-15s and AK-47s.

It's not my intention to "bash" anyone, but she knows what has caused this problem in the past few days. When she claims, for instance, that I "liberally" paraphrased you when in fact I copied and pasted your exact statement, then it has become past ridiculous.
    You claimed I quoted Trump. I did no such thing. You insisted. So I went back and re-read the entire two threads - this one and the one about insurrection. What you claimed was my quoting Trump were MY OWN WORDS. You then copied those charging me with quoting Trump.

At one point (already pointed out to you) you even denied that I quoted Trump. Your anger is leading you far astray and into the world of self-delusion.

Jl, this discussion on quotation and paraphrase, etc., among you and WG and Tal has become another obsession by you. They are both correct on the issue but you just can't let it go.

You are the King of nit-pickers.
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2020, 09:38 PM
    You are the King of nit-pickers.
    No, he is the king of nits, he just likes to argue, and to do so he will twist what you say. It is useless debating him
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2020, 03:43 AM
    You claimed I quoted Trump. I did no such thing. You insisted.
    That's already been straightened out. This discussion is not about that. If any of you want to believe that a quote is a paraphrase, then go for it. When WG claims that words within quotation marks are a paraphrase, and you consider that to be correct, then that's a fantasy world I don't want to live in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lyrics "now the rain." " I was watching for the people"... "started to pray"... [ 1 Answers ]

This was a song that used to play on 'western music' in early 90's. It was sung by a male with a chorus... can someone help me please...

Please convert "Evolution", "Transformation", "Phoenix" in Sanskrit [ 0 Answers ]

Please convert 1. "Evolution", 2."Transformation", 3."Phoenix" in Sanskrit God bless - this will be used for a tattoo

Collector's Guild LTD, NY- "original etching" "Pour Roby" Picasso "Star Scene" J Moro [ 0 Answers ]

Both pictures have stickers on the back stating with a "certification seal" that the Picasso is a original etching and the Joan Miro is a lithograph. Moro looks real to me but I can't take the frames off to feel if the paint is real or maybe I don't know what a lithograph should feel like just a...

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

View more questions Search