Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2007, 06:54 PM
    I am no longer clueless! :) Anyone reading this thread will find this passage about the Atocha enlightening. Talk about whetting an appetite for adverture, artifacts, fortune, inspiring one to perservere, this articile in full, will. Hope you enjoy the read.
    Atocha.com :: History of the Nuestra Seņora de Atocha

In 1973, three silver bars were found, and they matched the weights and tally numbers found on the Atocha's manifest, which had been transcribed from the original in Seville. This verified that Fisher was close to the major part of the wrecksite. In 1975, his son Dirk found five bronze cannon whose markings would clinch identification with the Atocha. Only days later, Dirk and his wife Angel, with diver Rick Gage, were killed when one of the salvage boats capsized. Yet Fisher and his intrepid crew persevered.

By 1980, they had found a significant portion of the remains of the Santa Margarita -- with a fortune in gold bars, jewelry and silver coins. On May 12, 1980, Fisher's son Kane discovered a complete section of the Margarita's wooden hull weighted down by ballast stones, iron cannon balls and artifacts of 17th century Spain.

On July 20, 1985, Kane Fisher, captain of the salvage vessel Dauntless, sent a jubilant message to his father's headquarters, "Put away the charts; we've found the main pile!" Ecstatic crew members described the find as looking like a reef of silver bars. Within days, the shipper's marks on the bars were matched to the Atocha's cargo manifest, confirming Kane's triumphant claim. At long last, the wreck's "motherlode" had been found -- and the excavation of what was widely referred to as the "shipwreck of the century" began.

Quickly, Duncan Mathewson, Mel Fisher's chief archaeologist, assembled a team of archaeologists and conservators from across the country to ensure that the artifacts and treasure were excavated and preserved properly. Because the material had lain on the ocean floor for three and a half centuries, much of it was in an extremely unstable state; immediate preservation treatment was required to prevent its destruction after it left its saltwater tomb.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2007, 08:45 PM
    Glad you are feeling better, and hope you have a speedy recovery! I found your story of the area and forts very interesting. In my genealogy research, I found that one of Daniel Boone's nephews who had done some work with Daniel Boone, married a daughter of a guy that is my direct ancestor known as Irish John Alford. Though it is not in my direct line, I find it very interesting. I also have a Captain Henry Farley in the family tree, who was active in Virginia around the revolutionary war, as well as in Indian battles. He evidently constructed a fort named for him. On my son's side of the family tree, there is a guy who was in charge of constructing or blacksmithing the large iron chains that were used at West Point to block ships from going up the river. Family rumors on that line also are that George Washington learned to survey from that family named "Call". There is no evidence that I know of to prove this, but it is a great family story... the story also goes on to say that when George Washington was very young, he ran off to join the British navy, and his mother sent some of the "Call" family to go get him and return him home. Again I do not know if there is any way to verify that story but it would be great to find additional support.
    Later on in years, the family of "Call" also was active in the Mormon church when they were in Kirtland, Ohio. Although my son's direct ancestor did not go west or join the church, many of those with the same last name did. I have not been able to identify the relationship of my son's direct ancestor to those who did move west. I believe he was a brother, or some close relation, because of living in the same small area. He even worked on road repairs along with people with the same last name and others believed to be Brigham Young's children... as those entries only cited Brigham Young's... so perhaps the money was given to the church, but I do not know... who did join the church.

One story that has been passed down in that family is that when either Brigham Young or Joseph Smith were in Kirtland, they had a revival or outdoor sermon where the minister was going to demonstrate his faith in God by walking on water. Well my son's direct ancestor was with some other boys before hand, and discovered some boards placed under the surface of the water... the boards were moved so that when the walking on water was tried, the person fell off and into the water as the boys watched from a distance making a memorable story that has been passed along for generations.
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2007, 10:07 PM
    Thank you for your well wishes. I am doing much better than I thought I might after yesterday. One of the guys who hit us told my husband, "I saw your wife and she was really bounced around inside that car a lot." We were hit by two different cars and spun around. I have the bruises to prove it and the soreness but got my neck adjusted, muscle spasms addressed and feeling so much better tonight. I thank the Lord no one was really hurt badly. I am glad you enjoyed the fort stories. When we first moved here from Missouri, I was totally drawn to the fort. I have always been a tomboy and enjoyed riding horses, motorcycles, climbing trees, hunting, fishing, etc. When I was little, I would put a piece of cardboard on the spokes of my bike with a clothespin to make it sound like a motorcycle then my daddy bought me one when I was 14. I know that movies have influenced us a lot regarding the 'old west' and such but even having that knowledge, even though it is Hollywood truth, has made me more aware and interested in artifacts, heritage, history, etc. so I count that as good. :) I have tried to introduce all of this to my children and now my grandchildren. I know we need to appreciate the present and appreciate the future but I think we also need not to forget the past and the paths our ancestors forged for us to be where we are today. I can't imagine cutting through dense timber to get a wagon through but many did, not having a clue what lie ahead. Well, I am getting carried away as usual.

Great stories Oneguy! It would be great if you could find documentation to support some of these stories and who knows... as you share on the post, maybe someone with knowledge of the same story will come across your post and... well... there you go!! :) I would like to hear more about Captain Henry Farley. Have you researched him much? Keep us posted as you have more to share.
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2007, 12:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    I believe the 3 Gourges Dam is mostly for Power Generation, probably water distribution also.
    What I see a problem currently, is the need to Deal with Hoover Dam, Millions gallons of water goes to Feeding Vegas, and then the Lights, Electricity. There is only so much water.
    The level is currently very low. Do you give up water or electricity first?
    Hope the don't have a drought. I love Nevada, I hope Growth slows.

Oneguyinohio, That gold may be in the river, also that tree may be a stump, or a depression where it was removed?
    Here is a link to current auctions for those atlasses. Didn't see the price I got them for, but they are available:

treasure atlas, Maps, Atlases, Globes, Consumer Electronics items on eBay.com.

Jrebel, oneguyin ohio, anyone else. Give location near you, and will see what I have, and Post back. I just got volunteered to go to store, will check back later. Take Care.
    I was a bit overwhelmed looking at all the books available. I could sure use your advice on the best ones to purchase if you have time. Thank you.
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2007, 12:26 AM
    I know that the Captain Farley I previously mentioned had at least 20 children, and one branch of that Farley line (perhaps a brother) started the Farley Candy company that I think is still making candy today... maybe that is why I have such a sweet tooth?

Oh, and evidently Henry Clay is also a cousin in the family tree... so I felt a strong draw when I visited some of the rooms where the congress used to meet... certainly gave me a lot to imagine and think about!
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2007, 09:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by oneguyinohio
    I know that the Captain Farley I previously mentioned had at least 20 children, and one branch of that Farley line (perhaps a brother) started the Farley Candy company that I think is still making candy today... maybe that is why I have such a sweet tooth?

Oh, and evidently Henry Clay is also a cousin in the family tree... so I felt a strong draw when I visited some of the rooms where the congress used to meet... certainly gave me a lot to imagine and think about!
    Sounds like you have a lot of information to begin a really accurate search for family history. Keep us posted. :)
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2007, 10:03 PM
    Well, I've been into the family history stuff for over 20 years on and off. I do a little digging from time to time... My mom is getting it pretty well organized now.
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2007, 10:07 PM
    Well, I've been into the family history stuff for over 20 years on and off. I do a little digging from time to time... My mom is getting it pretty well organized now.
    Do you have any documents that tie things together? I would be interested to know a little about how you proceed with your searches. Do you use ancestry.com or Bible entries of family history, births and deaths, letters? As usual, Oneguy, I am full of questions! I am not looking for a formula of "how to", just interested in what path you and your family have taken in your search.
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2007, 10:24 PM
    A lot of online stuff including books and census records. I joined ancestry.com a few months ago but most of it came from other sources and online boards. A lot of going to court houses and searching old records of marriage, birth, etc.

Newspapers on microfilm are also fun for me... I came across the treasure story I previously mentioned while doing genealogy hunting...

Also spent time at family history center looking through early Mormon records.

I have also been fortunate to connect with others who have common lines and have done parts that link with mine.

I thought of another article I found on my son's line... his gr-gr-gr-gr-grandfather was stabbed to death by a man over an argument about a pawned gun... the killer was the one who didn't pay but wanted his gun back... so the killer was hung from the town hanging hill... and my son lives very near that town. It was the last hanging in the area.
    His family has lived very close for many generations.
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2007, 10:49 PM
    A lot of online stuff including books and census records. I joined ancestry.com a few months ago but most of it came from other sources and online boards. A lot of going to court houses and searching old records of marriage, birth, etc.

Newspapers on microfilm are also fun for me... I came across the treasure story I previously mentioned while doing geneology hunting...

Also spent time at family history center looking through early Mormon records.

I have also been fortunate to connect with others who have common lines and have done parts that link with mine.

I thought of another article I found on my son's line... his gr-gr-gr-gr-grandfather was stabbed to death by a man over an argument about a pawned gun... the killer was the one who didn't pay but wanted his gun back... so the killer was hung from the town hanging hill.... and my son lives very near that town. It was the last hanging in the area.
    His family has lived very close for many generations.
    Thanks for the information on how you go about your search. I am patient with art and hunting for artifacts but doubt I have it in me to do what you do... though I admire the drive and ability very much. I would imagine, not only stories, history and such are uncovered in such a search but who knows when you might come upon a clue. This is sort of off the thread topic a bit I guess but did you watch the movie, "National Treasure"? I heard some people say they thought it was hokey but I loved it. I would love to be involved in such a hunt and that family continued it for years through several generations. (Don't worry, I realize it is fiction!! LOL :p ) It is just easy for me to get into a movie like that and put myself in their place in my head and go with it and really enjoy the thought processes that went into the writer coming up with the plot and details, so intricate.

Again this is sort of off the subject but my husband's dad's cousin (we always called him uncle so that was confusing for me but anyway... moving on) thought he and his mother had been abandoned all of his growing up years into late adulthood. He was a intense little man. Didn't seem to smile much and was not a trusting person too much. He trusted my husband's dad thoroughly though. He had been married for years and one day, received a call. It seems that a man had died in California and had given a death bed confession. A group of men had met in a cabin by a certain spring in the sand hills of an area not far from us. They were playing cards, gambling, etc. One of the men in the cabin was this cousin's father, intending to gamble then return home. He never returned. The man in California stated that they were drinking and he and the cousin got into a fight and the man in California shot him to death and buried him under the wooden floor of the cabin. He always felt bad about it and needed to confess what he had done. So this cousin of my husband's dad came to realize that his dad had not abandoned him at all but was murdered late at night and buried under the floors of the cabin. When my husband and I found out about it, we, of course, went searching. We found the natural spring with no problem and followed the description of where the cabin had stood. There was no cabin and not having enough details, was unable to pinpoint even where the foundation could have been. I always wanted to find "Uncle Ben's" dad. I thought it would help give Ben more closure to a long story that clouded his life through the years. Just like in the story I shared about the guy traveling the three rivers on the map I posted earlier, he found all the landmarks, well, most of them, to be the same as on the old map, the cane breaks, markers, etc. we even found a grouping of berry bushes that had been described in the story when the man in California was trying to clear his conscience.

When my ship comes in so to speak, and time allows, I will be getting a nice metal detector and check out even places around like that. Who knows, maybe we can still find the place the cabin once stood. If they were gambling and did it a lot, perhaps there are coins that might indicate activity of gambling in that area. :)
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2007, 11:07 PM
    That kind of search would be very exciting!

I didn't get to see the movie. Perhaps another time?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2007, 07:46 AM
    Jrebel, Hope all is well. I was born in North East Oklahoma. A lot of buried gold in your area. I would get volume 8 of the atlasses:
    treasure atlas, Maps, Atlases, Globes, Nonfiction Books items on eBay.com

Can you and oneguyfromohio provide County you want info, looked for river emptying into Erie, many, many stories in both of your areas.

Something you could do for fun? Is go to geocashing.com, register, then click "hide or seek treasure". Click "seek", enter your zip code, and it will list things hid in your area. You will be given GPS coordinates, and a clue that needs to be decyphered, Easy to decypher with the conversion also on page, kids can do it. You are suppose to look with your GPS. I have been a little lazy, and will copy and paste coordinates to Google Earth. In the US, the coordinates will be North lattitudes and West Longitudes, example, I live near N25.000.000, W 80.000.000. So After I copy and paste to Google earth, I delete the N and the W, and add a - to west longitudes. Example for me, it would be 25.000.000, -80.000.000, then go to that coordinate, and zoom in. Lazy way to look for the treasure with no GPS.
    Will dig up more info. So many stories, so little time. Take Care
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2007, 10:17 AM
    jrebel, Hope all is well. I was born in North East Oklahoma. A lot of burried gold in your area. I would get volume 8 of the atlasses:
    treasure atlas, Maps, Atlases, Globes, Nonfiction Books items on eBay.com

Can you and oneguyfromohio provide County you want info, looked for river emptying into Erie, many, many stories in both of your areas.

Something you could do for fun? is goto geocashing.com, register, then click "hide or seek treasure". click "seek", enter your zip code, and it will list things hid in your area. You will be given GPS coordinates, and a clue that needs to be decyphered, Easy to decypher with the conversion also on page, kids can do it. You are suppose to look with your GPS. I have been a little lazy, and will copy and paste coordinates to Google Earth. In the US, the coordinates will be North lattitudes and West Longitudes, example, I live near N25.000.000, W 80.000.000. So After I copy and paste to google earth, I delete the N and the W, and add a - to west longitudes. Example for me, it would be 25.000.000, -80.000.000, then goto that coordinate, and zoom in. Lazy way to look for the treasure with no GPS.
    Will dig up more info. So many stories, so little time. Take Care
    I woke this morning thinking about this thread. I am a little intuitive. As always, I loved reading your post. Muskogee County would be my area. Thank you for letting me know which volume to purchase. It will take me a bit to digest the information you have provided here. When you mention the GPS, are you referring to just the GPS one might have in their car? I bet my son-in-law can help me understand your instructions... I am geared toward archeology and "finds" and such by my love of history and my pioneer spirit but scientific mind, I do not possess. :confused: LOL

I appreciate your info and shared interest. I understand "so little time" so appreciate even more you and all others taking the time to share on this thread. It is just exciting to me to have people to share with and read your (their) experiences in our individual quests. "HAPPY NEW YEAR" and may each of us find our treasures either of the heart, of gold, or special artifacts this new year but above all, peace in our spirit. Best to each of you who have posted or are viewing this thread. Hope to hear from many more.
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2007, 12:12 PM
    Specific counties in Ohio that I am most interested in are Lake, Portage, Defiance, and Paulding
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2007, 12:22 PM
    Specific counties in Ohio that I am most interested in are Lake, Portage, Defiance, and Paulding
    Hi there, I went on eBay on the link that Strat provided and placed a bid on the volume he recommended for Oklahoma. I will know in a couple of hours if I got the book. Sure hope all this leads you and I to some exciting finds.
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2007, 04:47 PM
    Jrebel,
    Good luck, some are "Buy it Now" makes it yours, if price is right. You should also Search
    On Ebay "Oklahoma" in books category, some interesting stuff. 1 Auction I am bidding on now. You never know what you run into on auction sites. Very nice, old, stuff. Books and maps are searches you should do under "Oklahoma" on Ebay once and a while.

Oneguyfromohio,
    Lake: In 1862, 3 robbers made off with(at that time) $50,000 in gold, A fight over the division, left 2 dead, the survivorburried the ingots near the west bank of theGrand River, about 1 or 2 milesSouth of Lake erieAbout 3 foot deep, 20 or 30 paces NW of a large Oak tree, near the rivers West Bank.
    Lake:Indian relics and artifacts can be found at Indian Point, East of Painesville, also used as a French Trading Post from 1750-1760
    Portage: The Hopkins Mill, near Garrettsville, built 1804 popular for gamblers and picknickers said to have coins, relics, and artifacts.
    Defiance: 1780's there was a trading post on the bend of the Maumee River, on highway 24, about 7 miles from Defiance State Park, on Girty's Island is said to have numerous treasures.
    Paulding: Along the Maumee and Auglaize Rivers are indian artifacts.
    Jrebel, I have more for you, Get Better.
    Everyone have an Excellent New Year>
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2007, 09:54 PM
    [QUOTE=Stratmando]
    In 1862, 3 robbers made off with(at that time) $50,000 in gold, A fight over the division, left 2 dead, the survivorburried the ingots near the west bank of theGrand River, about 1 or 2 milesSouth of Lake erieAbout 3 foot deep, 20 or 30 paces NW of a large Oak tree, near the rivers West Bank.
    QUOTE]

This sounds very much like the old story that I was mentioning earlier. Next time I get a day off when it is warm, along that river, I want to take a little walk...
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2007, 10:45 PM
    [QUOTE=oneguyinohio]
    In 1862, 3 robbers made off with(at that time) $50,000 in gold, A fight over the division, left 2 dead, the survivorburried the ingots near the west bank of theGrand River, about 1 or 2 milesSouth of Lake erieAbout 3 foot deep, 20 or 30 paces NW of a large Oak tree, near the rivers West Bank.
    QUOTE]

This sounds very much like the old story that I was mentioning earlier. Next time I get a day off when it is warm, along that river, I want to take a little walk...
    Hey Oneguy... that walk might prove very profitable! LOL

Much luck on that venture.
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2007, 10:48 PM
    jrebel,
    Good luck, some are "Buy it Now" makes it yours, if price is right. you should also Search
    on Ebay "Oklahoma" in books category, some interesting stuff. 1 Auction I am bidding on now. You never know what you run into on auction sites. Very nice, old, stuff. Books and maps are searches you should do under "Oklahoma" on Ebay once and a while.

Oneguyfromohio,
    Lake: In 1862, 3 robbers made off with(at that time) $50,000 in gold, A fight over the division, left 2 dead, the survivorburried the ingots near the west bank of theGrand River, about 1 or 2 milesSouth of Lake erieAbout 3 foot deep, 20 or 30 paces NW of a large Oak tree, near the rivers West Bank.
    Lake:Indian relics and artifacts can be found at Indian Point, East of Painesville, also used as a French Trading Post from 1750-1760
    Portage: The Hopkins Mill, near Garrettsville, built 1804 popular for gamblers and picknickers said to have coins, relics, and artifacts.
    Defiance: 1780's ther was a trading post on the bend of the Maumee River, on highway 24, about 7 miles from Defiance State Park, on Girty's Island is said to have numerous treasures.
    Paulding: Along the Maumee and Auglaize Rivers are indian artifacts.
    Jrebel, I have more for you, Get Better.
    Everyone have an Excellent New Year>
    Ok, I got the book!! Should be here in a few days. It will be interesting even if I don't find specifics for this area. I will be glad to get the book. Thanks for all the info. Looking forward to more posts from you when you have time. Other surrounding counties here are Haskell, Wagoner and Cherokee County. Maybe that book will have some information on these counties.
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2008, 07:32 AM
    Jrebel, Sure glad you won that book, Saved me a whole lot of writing. Last several days, have been reading just Oklahoma Stories. Lots of Caves, Gold, You will love the History behind these stories as well. The Counties you mention are Loaded.
    Perhaps you can send me a gold coin, should the weight of it all be too much for you.
    Good Luck Friend. That is what I tell my friends when they play the Lottery, "Good Luck, FREIND"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Operation Arrowhead Ripper [ 9 Answers ]

A major battle is taking place in Baquba ,a city in Baghdad's northern "suburbs" . Multi-National Force - Iraq - Task Force Lightning strikes al-Qaeda {Operation Arrowhead Ripper } The NY Slimes reported that 2000 troops are involved .They are wrong . There are no fewer than 10,000 US...

She is 12, he is 15(?) and are active... [ 1 Answers ]

While throwing away my "junk mail" yesterday I stood in front of the dumpster and heard some noise behind it. I went about my business as if not noticed. They realized they were caught and began to cloth them self's. I called my mgr. of the apts. And said what I believe to be the actions of the...

Active x [ 3 Answers ]

My friend is having trouble getting into certain sites--even becoming a member of Yahoo. I couldn't log into Yahoo on his computer with my ID and password. What is the problem with his computer? Does the following message that popped up on his computer have anything to do with the problem? He...

View more questions Search