Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2013, 07:39 AM
    Hello again, Steve

So, you think I'm talking about MATH? Dude!

This divide will NEVER be breached...

excon
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2013, 07:51 AM
    Dude, you're the one fixated on a number, what's your point?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2013, 08:08 AM
    Hello again, Steve:

In the country I live in, we count stuff. Whereas 1 or 2 might be acceptable, a number like 26 might NOT be acceptable. If we didn't count, we'd never know what's acceptable, and what's not.

I'm just pointing out that VOLUME matters. Apparently, however, I'm pointing it out to people who don't KNOW that volume matters, or don't CARE.

But, that's why I'm here - to point out the TRUTH.

Excon
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 5, 2013, 08:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    Is there some magic number threshold we should be looking for?
    The point is the bad guy with a gun can kill a lot more people than a bad guy with a knife. The point is a bad guy that wants to inflict a lot of damage finds a gun, not a knife and that magic number threshold are PEOPLE, who have people in their lives that will be deeply affected by the actions of the bad guy with a gun, instead of a knife.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2013, 08:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    The point is the bad guy with a gun can kill a lot more people than a bad guy with a knife. The point is a bad guy that wants to inflict a lot of damage finds a gun, not a knife and that magic number threshold are PEOPLE, who have people in their lives that will be deeply affected by the actions of the bad guy with a gun, instead of a knife.
    Chicago has gun laws on the books... why don't they enforce those first.

And incidentally... IED's are very easy to make, and far more effective than any gun Joe Average can buy is... want to ban every possible thing that can be used to make those too? Good luck trying.
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2013, 08:56 AM
    Dudes, I think I've heard your point about a thousand times in the last two months, but until now you've not quantified what number of people you might be able to kill is acceptable. I see that number is "1 or 2."

Okie dokie...
    Expert

Mar 5, 2013, 09:07 AM
    One is to many, and grounds for intervention.

Chicago's problem is poverty. Where there is poverty you will find guns, drugs, and criminals. Poverty is a breeding ground for the worst in humans and it doesn't matter where the poverty is or what part of the world it is.
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2013, 09:20 AM
    So why then libs want to keep them dependent on government?
    Expert

Mar 5, 2013, 09:49 AM
    There is no shame in temporary help and guidance since that's all they have. Dependency come when there are NO other options that are viable, and you have to concede the economy with a tight jobs market is not a viable option to poverty, and charity falls short too.

For sure something is terribly wrong when the working people need assistance from government programs. That's a big red flag that something ain't right when it comes to the way we deal with the American people.

If we agree that America needs jobs, and government shouldn't be job creators, then who should we demand jobs from, and what do we do for those that languish without a job? If we don't have a better strategy than the one we have now, then we beg for more dependence, more poverty, and even more competition from the underground economy that poverty has created over a very long time.

All of this in the wake of many jobs being lost and new people put into the poverty that being jobless creates. We libs don't want anyone dependent on government, but we dohave to support and guide those through nofault of their own, find themselves between a rock and hard place.

You cannot make a job as a condition for that help when there are no jobs.
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2013, 09:51 AM
    It doesn't become dependence until they have been on welfare beyond 3 generations apparently.
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2013, 10:06 AM
    Speaking of poisoning the well, who said anything about there being shame in temporary assistance or any other kind? You know good and well I don't believe that. The problem is your side doesn't know the meaning of the word "temporary" and your president is more interested in his legacy than his people.
    Expert

Mar 5, 2013, 10:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    It doesn't become dependence untill they have been on welfare beyond 3 generations apparently.
    And until the poverty issue is solved you will always have a poor class. And when economic conditions worsen, that poor class grows. To blame generations of failed policy on the latest administration is pretty biased and extremely ignorant. It just looks worse because the problem has grown.
    Expert

Mar 5, 2013, 10:17 AM
    Speaking of poisoning the well, who said anything about there being shame in temporary assistance or any other kind? You know good and well I don't believe that. The problem is your side doesn't know the meaning of the word "temporary" and your president is more interested in his legacy than his people.
    Who supples the outcome of a job?? There is NO solution to poverty without a JOB being available.
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2013, 10:26 AM
    Who supples the outcome of a job???? There is NO solution to poverty without a JOB being available.
    It's your guy that wants to make a show of scaring and inflicting pain on Americans instead of creating jobs.
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2013, 10:42 AM
    And until the poverty issue is solved you will always have a poor class. And when economic conditions worsen, that poor class grows. To blame generations of failed policy on the latest adminstration is pretty biased and extremely ignorant. It just looks worse because the problem has grown.
    How about they get off their butts and get a job... there are plenty of jobs out there... 22 million illegals work in them... some of those are good paying jobs.

But then the Illegals have something the welfare bums don't.

A work ethinc... because you have to get out of bed in the morning if you have a job.

If you are defending the welfare bums... you obviously don't know many of them... 99.9% of them have no other problem other than terminal laziness.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 5, 2013, 11:02 AM
    If you are defending the welfare bums...you obviously don't know many of them.....99.9% of them have no other problem other than terminal laziness.
    Do you know any personally? I do. The homeless/"welfare bums" passing through Libraryland are usually alcoholics or mentally ill or both.
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2013, 11:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Do you know any personally? I do. The homeless/"welfare bums" passing through Libraryland are usually alcoholics or mentally ill or both.
    I grew up around a lot of 2nd and third generation welfare bums... I knew their entire families EXTREMELY well... I knew enough of them well enough to know any argument to the contrary is total BS.

They are all happy to sit on their butts and get handouts so they can cruise through life without having to get up early or break a sweat.

And also.. how are Homeless people collecting welfare anyway... you need an address to collect welfare... how are they collecting it without a place to even rent? What are they wasting all that money on anyway?

If they are mentally ill... thank the Democrats for turning them loose, if they refuse to take their meds... then its all on them and I don't give a hoot,. if they are drunks... thats their own fault... give them some methanol to speed them along. THey had plenty of opportunity to get treatment before they ended up homeless...

If they were truly disabled they would be on SSI disability... welfare is what the able bodied lazy people use to mooch off the system.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 5, 2013, 11:34 AM
    and also..how are Homeless people collecting welfare anyway...you need an adress to collect welfare...how are they collecting it without a place to even rent? What are they wasting all that money on anyway?
    The PADS (county shelter) headquarters is one address. People's Resource Center (multi-function site for low-income and homeless) is another. Some have friends and relatives who get mail for them. They buy food at area grocery stores and clothing at the Salvation Army or other charity stores. They take cabs from shelter to shelter (no decent bus service in this county). The checks aren't overwhelming huge.
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2013, 12:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    The PADS (county shelter) headquarters is one address. People's Resource Center (multi-function site for low-income and homeless) is another. Some have friends and relatives who get mail for them. They buy food at area grocery stores and clothing at the Salvation Army or other charity stores. They take cabs from shelter to shelter (no decent bus service in this county). The checks aren't overwhelming huge.
    Welfare checks are big enough to rent a place and live on... and are bigger than someone working a single minimum wage job would earn.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2013, 01:50 PM
    Welfare checks are big enough to rent a place and live on.....and are bigger than someone working a single minimum wage job would earn.
    Now there is a real indication of what is wrong with the system, the minimum wage should be way more than welfare as an incentive for people to work, where I come from welfare is about half the minimum wage and unemployment about a third

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gun Control... it didn't take long [ 1292 Answers ]

I won't go into hysterics that Obama is going to take away our guns. Just one question. If the US backs a UN Treaty to restrict small arms ,what is the law of the land ? The treaty ,or the Constitution of the land... specifically the 2nd Amendment ? After Obama win, U.S. backs new U.N....

Gun control. My thoughts. Just shoot me now. This thread won't end well. [ 332 Answers ]

Okay, I do have thoughts on gun control, and I promised to start a thread where we could discuss guns, and peoples thoughts on guns. But I didn't start the thread about the Connecticut massacre to discuss gun control. That was about the families and their loss. So, to keep that Connecticut...

Gun control by fiat? [ 17 Answers ]

Who needs a congress? King Obama is reportedly working on gun control "under the radar" by way of executive order or regulatory means. WaPo did a story on White House gun control czar Steve Crowley which had this little tidbit that just almost escaped notice. I'm sure that is "under the...

Gun Control [ 29 Answers ]

Hello: The killer we've been talking about was subdued AFTER he emptied his magazine and before he could insert another. He was using 30 round clips. THOSE clips were illegal under the Assault Weapons Ban that EXPIRED under Bush and was not reinstated. If it HAD been reinstated, the killer...

Gun control and socialized medicine in Europe [ 1 Answers ]

Are any countries in Europe that do not have either gun control laws or socialized medicine? I know they're very "europe-y" things to do, but I don't know if the EU requires them, or if a bunch of countries just decided to institute them. (I know the exact polices vary a bit, so I'm guessing it's...

View more questions Search