Ask
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Jan 30, 2010, 02:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by arcura View Post
    JoeT,
    You got that very well right.
    galveston,
    Study some history please.
    The Catholic Church is lead by the Holy Spirit and thus inspired promulgated the Holy Bible for the world to use.
    Priests of The Church have healed the sick, thousands of them over the years.
    The Catholic Church is well known for casting out devils via exorcism.
    AND there are many disciples of Christ in The Church who do lead holy lives.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    How do Catholics receive the Holy Ghost?

Is there any specified manner in which this happens?

How can you tell it has happened?

(These are not argumentive questions, I really want to know. Depending on your answer, I may want to discuss it later!:))
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2010, 04:46 PM

sndbay ,
    I said that we Catholics ask saints to pray for us just as you might ask someone to pray for you.
    Perhaps you didn't know that the ward pray means ask and ask means pray.
    There is NOTHING wrong with asking others to pray for us.
    galveston,
    There are a lot of people who think that they know they are saved who will be surprised. Know-so belief is misleading.
    If you do not forgive others you will not be forgiven and if not forgiven you WILL NOT be saved.
    So Jesus says, so I believe.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2010, 05:26 AM
    sndbay ,
    I said that we Catholics ask saints to pray for us just as you might ask someone to pray for you.

Fred
    Perhaps you did not read my post. I have been told by other Catholics that they do indeed pray to the saints.

The doctrine of man have taught, that St. Anthony was a perfect imitator of Jesus. That he was given the power to help find items that are lost. And in addition to that, they pray in hope to this saint, that he prevents the lost of the salvation.

This is false teaching!

This false teaching is not written in the Word of God. No scripture interpretation tells us that we pray to saints no longer in the flesh. Nor do we ask those that are deceased to help us in being saved from lossing salvation.

If you care to suggest differently, then I would expect scripture to back it up.

We obvious disagree where this teaching is concerned, and I leave the disagree in discernment for what I will be accountable.

~in Christ
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2010, 07:31 AM

sndbay,
    Sorry, but I did read your post but apparently you read only the part of mine that you quoted.
    The Catholic teaching on this IS Scripture based.
    If I asked you as a Christian and therefore a saint to pray for me would you refuse?
    The ask is to pray. To Pray is to ask.
    Please try to understand that simple truth.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2010, 09:24 AM
    sndbay,

If I asked you as a Christian and therefore a saint to pray for me would you refuse?
    The ask is to pray. To Pray is to ask.

Fred
    No Fred I would not refuse your request to me, because I am at the present time here, and not deceased from the flesh.

However do you ask in prayer to St. Anthony who is deceased from the flesh to help you? Do you believe St Anthony is a perfect imitator of Jesus, that can help keep you from being a lost soul?

Please reference the Word of God in your answers.

Do we disagree in our answers?

~in Christ

Jan 31, 2010, 03:50 PM
    JoeT,
    You got that very well right.
    galveston,
    Study some history please.
    The Catholic Church is lead by the Holy Spirit and thus inspired promulgated the Holy Bible for the world to use.
    Priests of The Church have healed the sick, thousands of them over the years.
    The Catholic Church is well known for casting out devils via exorcism.
    AND there are many disciples of Christ in The Church who do lead holy lives.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Hope you don't mind me emphasizing your first sentence.

I think this shows a mistake common among all religions, that what happened in the past justifies us in the present. That is just not so.

God is the God of the present.

We see it in the Old Testament, in this passage applied to individuals.

Ezek 3:20
    20 Again, When a righteous man doth turn from his righteousness, and commit iniquity, and I lay a stumblingblock before him, he shall die: because thou hast not given him warning, he shall die in his sin, and his righteousness which he hath done shall not be remembered; but his blood will I require at thine hand.
    (KJV)

In the New Testament, applied to the individual:

John 5:14
    14 Afterward Jesus findeth him in the temple, and said unto him, Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee.
    (KJV)

John 8:10-11
    10 When Jesus had lifted himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? Hath no man condemned thee?
    11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.
    (KJV)

Again, in the New Testament, applied to the Pastor and his church:

Rev 2:4-5
    4 Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.
    5 Remember therefore whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.
    (KJV)

Notice in the context that the church at Ephesus had its doctrine right, everything was correct EXCEPT that pastor and church had LEFT the "first love", and unless they repented, Jesus would remove that candlestick.

Removal of the candlestick would mean that this church could no longer be the representative of Jesus Christ.

Many churches fall into this category.

So I ask again, are the works of Jesus being done by YOUR church (whichever one that may be) today? Yesterday just won't cut it!

PS, Fred, you are a great guy, but it is not I that have to forgive in this instance. I have not been offended or neglected, it is Jesus that has been set aside in so many of our churches, and we need to repent of that and get back to that first love for Him.
    JoeT777 Posts: 1,248, Reputation: 44
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2010, 04:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by galveston View Post
    How do Catholics receive the Holy Ghost?
    What makes you think it would be any different from the way non-Catholic would receive the Holy Spirit?

The Holy Spirit is the Third Person in the Holy Trinity. As such He is consubstantial (homoousion), which is to say, the same essence as God. The Catholic Church believes that the Holy Spirit offers two kinds of gifts, the sanctification for an individual, and a chrismata; an extraordinary unwarranted gift(s). These 'gifts' or graces have permanent and lasting qualities some of which include wisdom, understanding of God's revelation or truth, a spiritual prudence, fortitude, knowledge, and piety, i.e. “ fruit of the Spirit is, charity, joy, peace, patience, benignity, goodness, longanimity [patient endurance of hardship], mildness, faith, modesty, continency, chastity.” (Gal. 5:22-23). While these are normally thought of as 'supernatural' graces, they can be reflected only in our nature.

Is there any specified manner in which this happens?
    No special way, some are born with such graces, some 'work' to merit such graces; some receive prayer requests for the graces of the Holy Spirit, i.e. it is the will of God whether you receive such graces.

How can you tell it has happened?
    Sometimes you can't discern where or how a special gift came from. To discriminate between the gifts of the Holy Spirit and those from other spirit s(we're talking about the bad guys here) is relatively easy. If the grace or insight given conforms to the teaching Magisterium of the Church then the grace is of God. As Christ stated a house divided cannot stand – logically Third Person in the Trinity will not contradict the other Two Persons in the Trinity. Which explains why many Catholics hold the Protestant Schism in such bad light, it can't be shown as a move to 'unity' in the One True Church of Jesus Christ. Consequently, one need only look at the Church's teaching on faith and morals to discern between 'good' or 'bad'.

If these graces are 'private' in nature then we are not bound to them. For example, if you jump up and say that for the benefit of my salvation, I must recognize privately held understanding of 'Scripture' because it is of the Holy Spirit, I am not bound by those understandings. That particular insight given as a grace was meant for you alone. However, if the Holy Spirit makes it known through the Church that, as an example, Mary was Ever Virgin, then I am bound to 'conform my understanding' to that of the Church's. Notice that this doesn't mean to change my views against my good conscience, I need only conform them so that they align to the Church. If in good conscience I still can't come to the Church's understanding, then I am duty bound to be quite in public on this one subject. I can still discuss it, argue over it, or hash it out in private but a good Catholic must never substitute my own views for that of the Church. This should explain why so many times I've responded with quotes from the doctrine of the Church in response to your comments – If I'm to represent what the Church says, then I must tell you what the Church says – not what JoeT wants you to hear. If I express my personal views as different, I am bound to properly show how they contrast with the proper view of the Church. Unlike the Protestant or Evangelical disposition, Catholics do not hold that the sole rule of faith is Scriptural. And if it were, then what use do we have of the Holy Spirit? Aren't Scriptures black and white in matters of faith?

JoeT
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2010, 04:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sndbay View Post
    Perhaps you did not read my post. I have been told by other Catholics that they do indeed pray to the saints.

The doctrine of man have taught, that St. Anthony was a perfect imitator of Jesus. That he was given the power to help find items that are lost. And in addition to that, they pray in hope to this saint, that he prevents the lost of the salvation.

This is false teaching!

This false teaching is not written in the Word of God. No scripture interpretation tells us that we pray to saints no longer in the flesh. Nor do we ask those that are deceased to help us in being saved from lossing salvation.

If you care to suggest differently, then I would expect scripture to back it up.

We obvious disagree where this teaching is concerned, and I leave the disagree in discernment for what I will be accountable.

~in Christ
    Maybe it would be best to leave to the Catholic what Catholics believe. Catholics do not worship Saints or assign divinity to Saints. Once baptized, Catholics believe that they are of the Kingdom of God. That Kingdom extends from heaven through purgatory and across the earth – that is all of God's creation, heaven and earth is part of His Kingdom.

As I see it, one of the hardest concepts for the non-Catholic (mostly evangelical – and not all by any stretch of the imagination) is that the Kingdom of God resides here on earth in the form of the Catholic Church as well as in heaven. The Kingdom itself is all creation, heaven and earth. Dividing the Kingdom of Heaven from the Kingdom on earth presents several problems. One implies that God no longer holds dominion over the earth; another is to say that God has no dominion in the matters of mankind; yet another is that it separates us from our brothers and sisters who sleep in Christ from those that live in Christ. The Catholic Church doesn't make this distinction. It holds that the population of God's Kingdom includes those of us here on the earth, you might say marching forward; these are called the Church Militant. Those souls which are asleep and destined for heaven but with the stain of sin must become clean before entering heaven, that is purged. These are the members of the Church in purgatory we call the Church Suffering. These souls need our prayers for completion of the processes of purgation–I don't present 'purgatory' here for your contention or argument – rather a Catholic matter of fact. Then there are those whose souls who reside in heaven, which is also God's Kingdom. These members of the Kingdom we call the Church Triumphant. All are living souls, alive in Christ. Thus, we pray, or implore, or entreat, or urge, or beg those already in heaven to pray for us. This is little different than asking your neighbor to pray for you – a thing Catholics do too. While Catholics regard angels and saints as above us in rank or station, they are just as equal to us in the eyes of God as your elected public servant is above you in station, yet equal. And, like the public servant, we expect these angels and saints to, as it were, pass our petitions upward. In so doing we are united in our faith, one people seeking the mercy of God.

JoeT
    Maggie 3 Posts: 262, Reputation: 41

Jan 31, 2010, 06:06 PM
    Rev. 22:18 & 19 For"I testify to everyone who hears the words of
    the prophecy of this book; If anyone adds to these things, God will
    add to him the plagues that are written in this book; and if anyone takes away from the words of this book of prophecy, God shall take away
    his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things
    which are written in this book."

Prov. 30:5&6 " Every word of God can be trusted. He protects thoes
    who come to Him for safety. Do not add to His Words. If you do, He will correct you and prove that you are a liar."

Why would anyone depart from God's Word.

Hebrews 4:12 " For the Word of God is living and powerful, and shapper than any two-edged sowrd, piercing even to the division
    of the soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner
    of the thoughts and intents of the heart."

Love and Blessings, Maggie 3
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2010, 09:33 PM
    It seems to me that there may be several reasons why Jesus established The Church. How many reasons can you think of as to why he did?
    I can think of only one reason why God established the Church. It has to do with the promises made to Abraham, Moses, and David. His plan is laid out in the sheep skin of Moses’ Tabernacle and stone of David’s Temple. The physical layout gives us clues to God’s plan, the sacrifices offered to God are returned in His Kingdom as Hope in the form of twelve Apostles.

Think about it, given the time, I think I can explain.

JoeT
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2010, 09:47 PM

JoeT,
    Thanks for those posts. They are very well said.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2010, 05:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeT777 View Post
    The physical layout gives us clues to God's plan, the sacrifices offered to God are returned in His Kingdom as Hope in the form of twelve Apostles.
    I question this Joe
    Hope in the the form of twelve Apostles?

Are you in belief that the Apostiles were somehow God's hope, because they offered their service in sacrifice, and in return for God?

(The Apostles served having the Holy Spirit,(gifted to them) and they served the gospel in Christ Jesus(Romans 1:9)

The Word of God says, Hope is in the gospel that is Christ Jesus

1 Peter 1:21 Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.

When hope is found within us we then are purified, we rest in that hope which is in Christ, and HE made us pure because we are begotten again in HIM, thus even as HE is pure we became pure in HIM. (1 Peter 1:16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy)

1 John 3:3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as HE is pure.

~in Christ
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2010, 07:37 AM
    That Kingdom extends from heaven through purgatory and across the earth – that is all of God's creation, heaven and earth is part of His Kingdom.

JoeT
    This is another possible thread question. Because it draws question as to where in the scripture of God's Word would this be founded. I read no where in the gospel, of thoughts concerning purgatory. (purgatory is not spoken of in God's Word, and thus was not inspired by God)

I believe in Heaven, and acknowledge we are flesh on Earth. I believe we can be raised when baptism in spiritual awareness, a good conscience toward God, and begotten again as children of God. And I believe we as children of God are one with Christ, not of this world, but likeness to a third heaven or another world as likeness to Noah's finding a place washed from raiment of the world in sin, in having white raiment.

2 Corinthians 12:2
    I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth) such an one caught up to the third heaven.

Revel 3:18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

John 17:9-16 I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine And all mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am glorified in them. And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled. And now come I to thee; and these things I speak in the world, that they might have my joy fulfilled in themselves. I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evilThey are not of the world, even as I am not of the world..

We then are sanctify, completeness in spirtual awareness, and hold stedfast in the fullness of Christ Jesus. Christ dwells within the adopt children of God who are holy because Christ is holy. His Kingdom on earth in which the veil was open for us to walk having the spirit, with liberty to come before the Father in Heaven in worship and prayer.

~in Christ

Feb 1, 2010, 10:45 AM
    What makes you think it would be any different from the way non-Catholic would receive the Holy Spirit?

The Holy Spirit is the Third Person in the Holy Trinity. As such He is consubstantial (homoousion), which is to say, the same essence as God. The Catholic Church believes that the Holy Spirit offers two kinds of gifts, the sanctification for an individual, and a chrismata; an extraordinary unwarranted gift(s). These ‘gifts’ or graces have permanent and lasting qualities some of which include wisdom, understanding of God’s revelation or truth, a spiritual prudence, fortitude, knowledge, and piety, i.e., “ fruit of the Spirit is, charity, joy, peace, patience, benignity, goodness, longanimity [patient endurance of hardship], mildness, faith, modesty, continency, chastity.” (Gal. 5:22-23). While these are normally thought of as ‘supernatural’ graces, they can be reflected only in our nature.

No special way, some are born with such graces, some ‘work’ to merit such graces; some receive prayer requests for the graces of the Holy Spirit, i.e., it is the will of God whether or not you receive such graces.

Sometimes you can’t discern where or how a special gift came from. To discriminate between the gifts of the Holy Spirit and those from other spirit s(we’re talking about the bad guys here) is relatively easy. If the grace or insight given conforms to the teaching Magisterium of the Church then the grace is of God. As Christ stated a house divided cannot stand – logically Third Person in the Trinity will not contradict the other Two Persons in the Trinity. Which explains why many Catholics hold the Protestant Schism in such bad light, it can’t be shown as a move to ‘unity’ in the One True Church of Jesus Christ. Consequently, one need only look at the Church’s teaching on faith and morals to discern between ‘good’ or ‘bad’.

If these graces are ‘private’ in nature then we are not bound to them. For example, if you jump up and say that for the benefit of my salvation, I must recognize privately held understanding of ‘Scripture’ because it is of the Holy Spirit, I am not bound by those understandings. That particular insight given as a grace was meant for you alone. However, if the Holy Spirit makes it known through the Church that, as an example, Mary was Ever Virgin, then I am bound to ‘conform my understanding’ to that of the Church’s. Notice that this doesn’t mean to change my views against my good conscience, I need only conform them so that they align to the Church. If in good conscience I still can’t come to the Church’s understanding, then I am duty bound to be quite in public on this one subject. I can still discuss it, argue over it, or hash it out in private but a good Catholic must never substitute my own views for that of the Church. This should explain why so many times I’ve responded with quotes from the doctrine of the Church in response to your comments – If I’m to represent what the Church says, then I must tell you what the Church says – not what JoeT wants you to hear. If I express my personal views as different, I am bound to properly show how they contrast with the proper view of the Church. Unlike the Protestant or Evangelical disposition, Catholics do not hold that the sole rule of faith is Scriptural. And if it were, then what use do we have of the Holy Spirit? Aren’t Scriptures black and white in matters of faith?

JoeT
    Thanks, Joe, for actually answering my question.

Now as to receiving the Holy Spirit, the repentant believer receives the Spirit of Christ upon salvation.

That is not the same as the baptism or infilling of the Holy Spirit that the 120 received on that day of Pentecost, which was the giving of power that Jesus promised. That was also the birth of the Church.

Acts 8:18
    18 And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,
    (KJV)

What did Simon see that made try to buy the power to give such a gift? Other accounts in the Book of Acts say that the recipients spoke in “tongues” or for those of you with degrees, glossilalia.

Acts 2:4
    4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
    (KJV)

Acts 10:44-47
    44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
    45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
    46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
    47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
    (KJV)

Acts 19:6
    6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.
    (KJV)

You mention the fruit of the Spirit, which every believer will have in his life, but that is different from the manifestation of the Holy Spirit (called gifts by translators) as enumerated by the Apostle Paul.

1 Cor 12:8-11
    8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
    9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
    10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
    11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.
    (KJV)

I have experienced some of these gifts in my ministry from time to time and have seen them in many believers’ lives over the years, so I know whereof I speak.

Jesus prophesied that His followers would speak with new tongues, among other things.

Mark 16:17
    17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
    (KJV)

I post all this for the benefit of any who care to know, because I understand that as long as I hold the Scriptures to be all sufficient for spiritual guidance, while you hold that the teaching of your church is equal to Scripture, then we will never bridge that gap.

(Do I detect in your post that there may be a point or two that you privately disagree with your church on but can not say publicly because you are a good church member?)

Isa 8:20
    20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.
    (KJV)
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2010, 11:56 AM
    Are you in belief that the Apostiles were somehow God's hope, because they offered their service in sacrifice, and in return for God?
    Yes, they represented the Shewbread in Moses' Tabernacle, the bread in the presence of God. Twelve loaves of unleavened bread were exposed to God for 7 days, and then replaced them with fresh loaves – in my view this is a mystical prefiguring of the Twelve Apostles and their role in the Church. The priests eat the bread for divine inspiration in the Word of God because the bread was exposed to the word. In this way the Apostles gave hope to the faithful feeding, teaching the knowledge of his Truth (Hope) through the teachings of the priests in Shewbread was because they were

(The Apostles served having the Holy Spirit,(gifted to them) and they served the gospel in Christ Jesus(Romans 1:9)
    Yes the Apostles served the faithful; no they didn't 'serve' the Holy Spirit in the sense of that their role was to offer prayers, sacrifices, and libations like a Levite priest.

As a reminder we find this unique offering in Moses' Temple; the "bread of the presence (of Yahweh)" (Exodus 35:13; 39:35, etc.), also called "holy bread" (1 Samuel 21:6), "bread of piles" (1 Chronicles 9:32; 23:29), "continual bread" (Numbers 4:7), or simply "bread" (Hebrew Version, Exodus 11:23). 'ártoi tês prothéseos, "loaves of the setting forth" (Exodus 35:13; 39:35, etc.) which the Latin Vulgate also adopts in its uniform translation panes propositionis, whence the English expression "loaves of proposition", as found in the Douay and Reims versions (Exodus 35:13, etc.; Matthew 12:4; Mark 2:26; Luke 6:4). The Protestant versions have "shewbread" which literally means 'bread of the face' and is used by Josephus the historian to describe the loaves. The loaves of bread spoken of here formed an important sacrificial offering prescribed by the Mosaic Law. CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Loaves of Proposition.

The Word of God says, Hope is in the gospel that is Christ Jesus

1 Peter 1:21 Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.

When hope is found within us we then are purified, we rest in that hope which is in Christ, and HE made us pure because we are begotten again in HIM, thus even as HE is pure we became pure in HIM. (1 Peter 1:16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy)

1 John 3:3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as HE is pure.

~in Christ
    The word of God is Hope, and we receive that word from the Apostles through their successors down to this very day through the bishops of the Church.

Now we can start to see the reason why The Twelve Apostles are so important, without them we don't have the word of God. Thus the Apostles are the men on which Christ founded his Church; just as was told to Peter, “on you I will build my Church”. The Apostles represent the unleavened showbread in Moses' Tabernacle, and David's Temple. Recall, that the bible is vague as to whether the Apostles were baptized by John or in the name of Christ – Acts 2 is equally unclear. I contend that If baptized at all, the Twelve only received John's baptism. This was because they had already received a special grace much the same way the Blessed Virgin Mary was given a special grace. You might recall the angle said, “Blessed art thou among women”. The Apostles were the living version of the “loaves of proposition” [Cf. "bread of the presence (of Yahweh)" (Exodus 35:13; 39:35, etc.) "holy bread" (1 Samuel 21:6), "bread of piles" (1 Chronicles 9:32; 23:29), "continual bread" (Numbers 4:7), or simply "bread" (Hebrew Version, Exodus 11:23)] It's not like Moses 'manna from heaven, but a different type of food, you might say our first grace, food for thought, knowledge of Christ, i.e. hope.

In Moses' Tabernacle loaves of unleavened bread were placed on a table in front of the curtain in two stacks of 6 (12 loaves) in the presence of God. Now the blessed enjoy the sight of God. Christ's loaves of unleavened men were placed in the presence of God; given the knowledge Christ's Kingdom for our hope of salvation.

To the Jew in Abraham's time, Moses' time and the Jew in Christ's time it's a physical mark of a spiritual connection with God. It joined their manhood to God. (John 3:5) The only bread was the “proposition loaves.” The conflict with the 12 loaves should be obvious, bread is bread and meat is meat. Aaron and his priests (only those spiritually clean – presumably through the spiritual purification Mikvah) eat the loaves which made them spiritually pure to teach God's Law, God's Word. Likewise, the twelve Apostles were the loaves “in the presence of God,” exposed to the Logos. Holding the bread Christ said “this is my body,” the twelve holy loves were present – facing God, “face bread.”

The Lord is in his holy temple, the Lord's throne is in heaven.” But the residence God on earth is in Moses' Tabernacle or in David's Temple or in the presence of Christ. Commemorated and prophesized in for David's song,

“Bring to the Lord, O you children of God: bring to the Lord the offspring of rams. The voice of the Lord is upon the waters; the God of majesty has thundered, The Lord is upon many waters. The voice of the Lord is in power; the voice of the Lord in magnificence. The voice of the Lord breaks the cedars: yea, the Lord shall break the cedars of Libanus. And shall reduce them to pieces, as a calf of Libanus, and as the beloved son of unicorns. The voice of the Lord divides the flame of fire: The voice of the Lord shakes the desert: and the Lord shall shake the desert of Cades. 9 The voice of the Lord prepares the stags: and he will discover the thick woods: The Lord makes the flood to dwell: and the Lord shall sit king for ever. The Lord will give strength to his people: the Lord will bless his people with peace. “(Psalms 29)

A bifurcated fire that bakes these men into a homogeneous body is the very word issued from the mouth of Christ; both the purifying with fire and smelting with fire.

Fire has two properties, one wounds and corrects and the other illuminates with energy and zeal. This explains why the Apostles burn and shed and shed the light on our intellect and understanding, residing, as it were, on wisdom. “Thus those worthy of the fire will feel its caustic quality and those worthy of the lighting will feel the illuminating property of the fire. A hope “much more precious than gold which is tried by the fire” (Cf. 1Peter 1:7) A hope founded in Christ tested in the Smithy's fire, shaping refining the metal of men. It is a fire that consumes the impurities leaving only the precious

Every man's work shall be manifest. For the day of the Lord shall declare it, because it shall be revealed in fire. And the fire shall try every man's work, of what sort it is. 14 If any man's work abide, which he has built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. 15 If any man's work burn, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved, yet so as by fire. 1 Cor. 3:13-15

These common men were made into the uncommon or unleavened Apostles they were to become in the presence of God. They resided in the Temple in the presence of God. “Every word of God is fire tried: he is a buckler to them that hope in him. Proverbs 30

The voice of the Lord divides the flame of fire. The Bread of Life offers to us twelve men who will teach us Hope, God's hope under the roof of His Church.

The Voice of the Lord moving the wilderness. The Voice of the Lord perfecting the stags. To abide in God we live in the promised dwellings of the Kingdom of God with Abraham's co-heirs, i.e. Judaism and Catholicism. (John 16:33) The Lord will bless His people in peace. (John 14:27). This bread was the Twelve that are in the Presence of God, who in turn fed the world the Gospel, the Knowledge of God. The Presence Bread in the Tabernacle of Moses was the bread of Knowledge of Christ; unlike Moses' Twelve Loaves, Christ's were multiplied and will continue to be multiplied to the end of time.

JoeT
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2010, 12:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by galveston View Post
    Thanks, Joe, for actually answering my question.

Now as to receiving the Holy Spirit, the repentant believer receives the Spirit of Christ upon salvation.

That is not the same as the baptism or infilling of the Holy Spirit that the 120 received on that day of Pentecost, which was the giving of power that Jesus promised. That was also the birth of the Church.

Acts 8:18
    18 And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,
    (KJV)

What did Simon see that made try to buy the power to give such a gift? Other accounts in the Book of Acts say that the recipients spoke in “tongues” or for those of you with degrees, glossilalia.

Acts 2:4
    4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
    (KJV)

Acts 10:44-47
    44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
    45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
    46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
    47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
    (KJV)

Acts 19:6
    6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.
    (KJV)

You mention the fruit of the Spirit, which every believer will have in his life, but that is different from the manifestation of the Holy Spirit (called gifts by translators) as enumerated by the Apostle Paul.

1 Cor 12:8-11
    8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
    9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
    10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
    11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.
    (KJV)

I have experienced some of these gifts in my ministry from time to time and have seen them in many believers’ lives over the years, so I know whereof I speak.

Jesus prophesied that His followers would speak with new tongues, among other things.

Mark 16:17
    17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
    (KJV)

I post all this for the benefit of any who care to know, because I understand that as long as I hold the Scriptures to be all sufficient for spiritual guidance, while you hold that the teaching of your church is equal to Scripture, then we will never bridge that gap.

(Do I detect in your post that there may be a point or two that you privately disagree with your church on but can not say publicly because you are a good church member?)

Isa 8:20
    20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.
    (KJV)
    I’m afraid I don’t understand, yes the Holy Spirit gives ‘gifts’ or graces as the translators say. But you seem to be saying the only grace is to ‘speak in tongues’. Is this what I’m to understand, that unless you speak in tongues you don’t have the Holy Spirit? The Scriptures don’t allude to this either in the King James or any other reputable translation. Preempting an expected response, are you suggesting that only those who receive the ‘fruits,’ or graces as the translators say, are the only ones who receive salvation – but you’re dead and gone, what good would graces do you then. When back sliders, who had originally thought they were absolutely assured salvation, slide backwards, do they lose the fruits of these graces – that is become dumb as sin as suddenly as they were ‘saved’?

And what does all this mean with regard to my comment? I can’t make the connection. Essentially, I said Catholics received the Holy Spirit any way He wants. Do Bible only people require God to respond differently? What kind of degree do I need to know what ‘glossialalia’ means – do we require the Holy Spirit to have a masters or phd before he can speak? Your response confuses me – you’ll need to straighten some things out for me. What I read was that the contention is that the believer controls how God reacts with mankind. I can't understand that - we dictate how the Spirit dispenses graces? Would you show me how this isn’t true and yet be a bible only sort of person?

JoeT
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2010, 08:08 PM

sndbay,
    The apostles offer and provide hope of God's many graces.
    That is what I believe an the bible indicates.
    The apostles preached God's word and in several cases wrote it.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2010, 12:33 AM
    This is another possible thread question. Because it draws question as to where in the scripture of God's Word would this be founded. I read nowhere in the gospel, of thoughts concerning purgatory. (Purgatory is not spoken of in God's Word, and thus was not inspired by God)
    Let's leave this to another thread; the idea of purgatory is in scripture, granted it's somewhat vague; you need to look outside of your book into the real world. You might think it hidden from you, but it's not hidden from us Catholics. Rather you miss zooming around driving your sporty solo scriptura with the same lack of discipline a 16-year old kid might have with his daddies sport car on an unauthorized spin around the Kingdom.

But, the least you can do is pay attention to where you're going and where you've been. Instead of looking for purgatory try looking for the Kingdom. Look in places where it says that God created the heavens and earth -all creation is under His dominion. But I suppose those who are into schism-thing like dividing things up. So let's just look at the Kingdom of God that is right here on earth. You might recall John the Baptist's proclamation. Now, what was it that John was so fond of saying, wasn't it something like, “repent the KINGDOM is at hand.” Maybe he was talking about some other Kingdom? When Christ sent the Apostles to various outlying regions to preach and teach, didn't he tell them to 'teach the Kingdom of God' – now wasn't that stupid? Teach about a Kingdom that didn't exist or a Kingdom that would simply fade away into the vagaries of a book?

If I were to sift through the number of times “Kingdom of God” was mentioned in the New Testament I'd get about 227- times where the phrase is mentioned. I think I could get a pretty good picture of Christ's Kingdom. In the Gospel of Mathew alone we have a complete image of the 'establishment' of a Kingdom. To fulfill the covenant of the Old Testament prophecy demands Christ to establish the 'Kingdom'. Where do you suppose it went – are you going to argue that the Romans defeated the Kingdom of God in some untold saga? If you remove all 227 references to the 'Kingdom of God, the New Testament becomes nearly meaningless. I got news for you, for sure its gospel, the Kingdom of God is right here on earth, while we hold scripture sacred, we also know the Kingdom of God isn't in a dusty ol' BOOK. Instead, it's real, it's as promised, it's alive with saints and sinners, embattled, under siege from within and without by sin, protected by Christ's promise; we call it the Roman Catholic Church and as promised she will persevere even from the gates of hell, possibly even the BOOK. She is a living breathing Kingdom, complete (figuratively speaking) with body soul and Divinity. You zoomed right past her, as it were, leaving the Bride of Christ on the side of the road; read in your book about the Kingdom and “mystical body of Christ”. That may be why I take the Church bus; I don't want to leave anything Christ gave us abandoned on the side of the road – ohm, on a road to leads to Rome.

Then there is the Kingdom of Heaven which is only mentioned 95-times in my New Testament. Do you reckon it's still in Heaven?

JoeT
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2010, 07:32 AM
    sndbay,
    The apostles offer and provide hope of God's many graces.
    That is what I believe an the bible indicates.
    The apostles preached God's word and in several cases wrote it.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Fred, The point is that I don't leave my first love that is in Christ Jesus, to follow and praise the Apostles. They were inspired by God, through the gift being the Holy Spirit. It is God's hand and power that I hold stedfast in faith and trust.

Christ Jesus was sent as the Word of God in HIS own flesh that walked this earth. I am led by the spiritual drink, and spiritual meat that is the Rock Christ Jesus. And I will never leave my first love to follow man. It is Christ voice I hear! Scripture is His flesh, the Word made flesh. Spiritual meat in daily bread that is revealed unto us according to Our Father that gives. The Word of God that we eat, is the Bread of Life in Christ Jesus.

The cup of blessing in which we commune together as members is in Christ, His Body and His Blood that we give thanksgiving, and praise. We eat and drink in rememberance of Christ, and HIS worthiness.

~in Christ
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2010, 07:46 AM
    You zoomed right past her, as it were, leaving the Bride of Christ on the side of the road
    Revel 21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

The bride of Christ is New Jerusalem according to scripture "The Word of God"

Anyone believing differently has committed adultery by being seduced and betraying the marriage.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Birth of Jesus Christ [ 11 Answers ]

When was Jesus Christ born ?

How and Why Would You Follow Christ Jesus? [ 127 Answers ]

The scripture message, that men are cursed to trust man, would be a comparison to the commandment of having no other gods. To permit flesh/man to be the arm they reach to and follow, would be entering temptation. Our Lord has promised to search the hearts of man. And in that search, Our Lord...

Who is Jesus Christ? [ 20 Answers ]

First off, I am not Jewish... I am a gentile. I do believe that Jesus Christ is the promised Messiah in the Old Testament, so I wanted to be up front about that. I have had an interest in Jewish culture since the first time I traveled to Israel more than 10 years ago. Since that time, I have...

Jesus Christ Superstar [ 4 Answers ]

I've just seen the 1973 film adaptation of Jesus Christ Superstar, and was wondering how similar to the original Broadway production it is. For example, was the original set in the first century AD, or in modern times like the film? Thanks Captain O

About Jesus Christ [ 8 Answers ]

In which ways is and or was worshipped and what was the impact the death had on his respective religion?

View more questions Search