Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 28, 2012, 09:28 AM
    Let 'em howl! Howling has never stopped repubs from doing what they want, so why should it stop the dems?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2012, 09:28 AM
    Hello again, tom:

How did your guy put it? What's sauce for the goose, is sauce for the gander.. He's right.

Look. The Democrats aren't always going to be in the majority. I'm FINE with Democrats living under the same rules. Simple up or down votes work for me. Let's move FORWARD.

excon
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2012, 09:32 AM
    So when Republicans take the Senate back are you going to miss the filibuster?
    Expert

Nov 28, 2012, 09:36 AM
    When was the last democratic filibuster in a republican controlled senate? When will repubs take back the senate?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2012, 09:46 AM
    Well the gang of 14 prevented the use of the nuclear option. So it's not really sauce.

I like the fillibuster for the reason the founders designed the Senate. Here is the analogy Washington used... the Senate was created to "cool" House legislation just as a saucer was used to cool hot tea . Madison said it was to be the great "anchor" of the government. Madison explained that the Senate would be a "necessary fence" against the "fickleness and passion" that tended to influence the attitudes of the general public and members of the House of Representatives.The filibuster is a good thing because it frustrates, literally and intentionally.

A fillibuster has not prevented the Senate from passing a budget . A fillibuster has not prevented the President from proposing a plan to steer away from the fiscal cliff . Why should the President care about Senate rules anyway ? It didn't prevent him from making recess appts when the Senate was still in session.
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2012, 10:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    When was the last democratic filibuster in a republican controlled senate? When will repubs take back the senate?
    So you don't want to answer the question. I understand.
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2012, 10:42 AM
    I got a different solution. Get rid of the changes to the fillibuster rules the Robert Byrd Senate made in the 70's . Before then ;a fillibuster shut down the Senate until the issue was resolved. But the Byrd rule changes made it possible to stall a specific bill or appointment and still conduct other business.

Harry Reid has only himself to blame for the frequency of fillibusters . He acts like an autocrat keeping Republic amendments on the shelf and not allowing them to be properly debated . Frankly the Dems would do well to dump the chump and get a better majority leader . I suspect even the Schmuckster would do a better job.
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2012, 10:56 AM
    Hello tom:

You FORGOT McConnell's PLEDGE to make Obama a one term president. Then he tried, and tried, and tried. It didn't work. Bummer. People noticed. But, not you.

excon
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2012, 11:04 AM
    Hello again,

After digesting this and the 2010 elections, I have a final thought. You wingers have a habit of shooting yourselves in the foot. You SHOULD be running the Senate, but you ran some clowns instead. You SHOULD be running the presidency, but you ran some more clowns. Obama was eminently beatable, but you ran Michelle Bachmann, Rick Santorum, the Newster, the forgetful guy, and the pizza guy. Romney was the DEFAULT candidate. If you'da run ANY of the guy's who refused, such as Chris Christy, Rob Portman, Mitch Daniels, Jeb Bush, and a couple more, you'd be RUNNING THE WORLD.

That you aren't in charge of EVERYTHING is TOTALLY on you.

excon
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2012, 11:45 AM
    So is every thread going to be about calling us losers? More of that uniting the country stuff?
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2012, 11:52 AM
    Agreed . My solution would be to change the primary process. Stop using Iowa as the 1st caucus ;have a rotating system instead ;and most important... end all open primaries. Primaries only open to registered Repubics .T Pawlenty would've been the nominee if the Repubics had their heads out of their a** .Mitch Daniels ,my personal favorite had personal reasons for not running... (forget Christe... you guys would love to have the Repubics run another North East big government governor... same with Jeb Bush ) . The Repubics have 30 of 50 state governors ;and Rubio and some others will have more experience in 2016 . There will be plenty to choose from if the country survives the next 4 years .
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2012, 11:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello tom:

You FORGOT McConnell's PLEDGE to make Obama a one term president. Then he tried, and tried, and tried. It didn't work. Bummer. People noticed. But, not you.

excon
    What about it ? What exactly is the role of the minority party ? I'll remind you that when it came to a domestic agenda ;it was GW Bush that crossed the aisle ;not the other way around.
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2012, 11:57 AM
    Looking for solutions and compromise ? Is that the President's posture ?
    Obama on tax cuts: Don

To Dems compromise means Republic surrender.
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2012, 12:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    looking for solutions and compromise ? Is that the President's posture ?
    Obama on tax cuts: Don

To Dems compromise means Repubic surrender.
    Oddly enough the still-campaigner-in-chief is also in favor of Reid's filibuster changes. Something about the American people deserving "a United States Senate that puts them first, instead of partisan delay."

Yeah that would be the same Democrat-controlled Senate that hasn't bothered to even consider a budget for going on 4 years now. The same Democrat-controlled Senate that refuses to consider anything out of the House.

There's a key to understanding what Obama says though. When he isn't referring to himself he really is, as in when he says "the American people deserve a United States Senate that puts them first" he means "The American people deserve a United States Senate that puts me first."
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2012, 01:23 PM
    "The American people deserve a United States Senate that puts me first."
    That is every single US politician.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2012, 03:51 PM
    What planet do you live on
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 28, 2012, 07:50 PM
    Liberty and the way it should be.

Best Second Amendment Video Goes Viral (DollarDVDProjectLiberty.com) - YouTube
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2012, 09:23 PM
    What a tear jurker, what that demonstrates is that arms should be kept in a secure place not in peoples homes
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2012, 02:34 PM
    Apparently liberty isn't being able to keep your 100-year-old family business because the feds renege on an agreement...

The Drakes Bay Oyster Company, California's only remaining cannery has been ordered shut down by Interior Secretary Salazar in spite of the fact the federal government convinced property owners in the area to sell their land to the National Park Service in exchange for protection from developers and 40 year leases to be renewed in perpetuity.

The Lunny family which owns the company and employs 30, once featured as an outstanding example of environmental stewardship, was targeted by environmentalists and has fought a 7 year battle with the feds being falsely accused of environmental damage based on manipulated evidence.

The Framing of an Oyster Farm

Environmentalists are cheering the federal bullying of a responsible company into extinction. Liberal compassion at its finest.

Meanwhile, the feds are subsidizing new oyster farms on the east coast.
    Expert

Nov 30, 2012, 08:32 PM
    Is this about liberty,or legality?

Feds deny Drakes Bay Oyster Company lease renewal | abc7news.com

There are several links associated with this story that are notable. Not taking sides, just looking deeper.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Jeep liberty lift? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi. Does anyone know if I can get my 09 jeep liberty lifted?

Gold 1913 Liberty going [ 1 Answers ]

My Mother in law passed away and I found this coin in her things. It is Gold and has 1913 On the Front with a Lady Liberty Head on front, then on back it says United States of America Cents and in the middle of the coin it has a big V and to right it says Copy. What is this?

2004 Jeep Liberty [ 2 Answers ]

The heat will not come through the ducts until the engine revs above idle only cold air. I noticed the coolant was low so I filled to the line and it worked the heat comes on during idle. After 3 days it stops working during idle and I noticed the coolant level was low again. I see no white smoke...

Gaf-Elk StormGuard,Liberty Under roof [ 1 Answers ]

Holy confusion. A couple years ago I used Liberty Self Adhesive Membrane under my tile roof. It doesn't leak, the I got confused because I saw storm guard at Home Depot. So I called Gaf-Elf (the manufacturer) the lady on the phone said, I should not have used Liberty under anything it's for...

View more questions Search