Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 20, 2009, 03:50 AM

Hi guys. No offence taken. How would anyone know from my moniker what sex I am. However, I do sign from time to time as mizz tickle. Nowadays I guess using 'mizz' doesn't appear to be gender based.

Yes, I am a woman, all 5 ft. 2 in. of me. I am a Personal Support Worker and a Registered Nurses Aid and I work for the Canadian Red Cross. However, have worked in landscaping for a time, and also had my own catering company too.

Many hats make light work, sort of.

Have a great Fathers Day!

Mizz tick
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Jun 20, 2009, 09:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    hi guys. No offence taken. How would anyone know from my moniker what sex I am. However, I do sign from time to time as mizz tickle. Nowadays I guess using 'mizz' doesnt appear to be gender based.
    Thank You.
    I did catch one of your posts where you signed off as Ms tick, but it still stuck as a husband/wife thing. “There I went assuming again” :rolleyes:
    I remember when it was started, it was used to blur the distinction between a married and single woman.

Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Yes, I am a woman, all 5 ft. 2 in. of me. I am a Personal Support Worker and a Registered Nurses Aid and I work for the Canadian Red Cross. However, have worked in landscaping for a time, and also had my own catering company too.
    Being one of the Lord's angels bestows Great honor. My hat is off to you! :)

p.s. I made the corrections

"Best Regards"

KUXJ... aka... Steve

"Let us be grateful to people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom."
    - Marcel Proust
    Attached Images

twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2009, 10:49 AM

My next door neighbor bought two of those upside down planters. One kept falling off the hook in the yard due to the squirrels jumping on it. She replaced that planter with the other one on the porch after that incident. So far her tomato plants are not getting very large. Glad I didn't try that route this year.

Jun 20, 2009, 03:20 PM
    Hi! twinkiedooter, Welcome aboard :)

We have the ubiquitous Eastern Gray Squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis) Eastern Gray Squirrel - Wikipedia, and so far they are not using the pool deck as one of their routes.

My concern is the weight of the whole assembly hanging only by the handle. I've been in a few "bucket brigades" where the handle mount broke and the contents went flying.

See Ya round the compost pile

K
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 20, 2009, 03:28 PM

The trend in tomatoes around here is I think called 'heritage tomatoes'. They are seeds that have been found on archeological sites around the Humber river in Toronto, anywhere pioneers settled and grew corn, root vegetables and squash tomatoes, etc.

Over the last few years they have developed new plants from these seeds and are sold at veg stands, expensive but interesting.

Tick
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2009, 03:39 PM

One question.. :D Is anyone growing both UDT and RST (regular standing tomato) at the same time in the same growth peroid and started them both at the same time? If so I think it would be intresting to see if maybe the growth cycle differs in any way at all (ie.. One growing quicker/slower then the other, tomato growth size difference{within the same species})

The meeting with my Aunt went awesome... Hubby came with me and turns out her and I have more in common with each other then with the rest of the family lol. Had plenty of rain so far this weekend and going to get more rain this week so I think I won't be able to get any gardening done.

Haha another question has just popped into my head that I would like to know.. what's the average growth peroid for tomato plants and what are the best months to grow them.or can they be started anytime in the spring and summer (with thought to as when cold weather would set in)

Happy fathers day all (even though it is tomorrow) and welcome to all the new comers :D
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2009, 04:00 PM
    [quote=binx44;1809186]One question.. :D Is anyone growing both UDT and RST (regular standing tomato) at the same time in the same growth peroid and started them both at the same time? If so I think it would be intresting to see if maybe the growth cycle differs in any way at all (ie.. One growing quicker/slower then the other, tomato growth size difference{within the same species})

ME:D ME:D ME:D
    I started all mine at the same time and have 2 of each variety 10 total(see previous posts) they are all growing at their own rate, but I seem to have a curious leaf curl on one 'Mama mia' and one 'Early girl.:eek:

The SFF UDT is growing slower than the SFF Standard pot, But some others are also slower than their sisters/brothers and the rest are in the ground.

At this point, I just hope that I will get some tomatoes, so I don't have to buy them at the market. It seems slow going, but I have never watched them this close before.:)
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2009, 04:02 PM
    KUXJ
    How come when I quote someone, it doesn't turn up blue like yours?
    What am I doing wrong? :confused:

Jun 20, 2009, 04:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Dahlia View Post
    KUXJ
    how come when I quote someone, it doesn't turn up blue like yours?
    Do you mean like this? Bare with me, I think I can show it.

When you want to quote someone you click on the quote user button. This shows up

[QUOTE=Just Dahlia;1809227
    how come when I quote someone, it doesn't turn up blue like yours?
    [/QUOTE

The reason this is not "blue" is because I removed the ending brackets after 7...and the last E. as an example.

You have the power to edit your posts for 24hrs. If you go back to your response to binx44 and where her double brackets end, Type [/quote]

It will look like this...

Quote Originally Posted by binx44 View Post
    One question.. :D Is anyone growing both UDT and RST (regular standing tomato) at the same time in the same growth peroid and started them both at the same time? if so i think it would be intresting to see if maybe the growth cycle differs in any way at all (ie.. One growing quicker/slower then the other, tomato growth size difference{within the same species})
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2009, 05:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KUXJ View Post
    Do you mean like this? Bare with me, I think I can show it.
    Like this?

Jun 20, 2009, 05:42 PM
    :cool: By Jove, I think she's got it! :cool:

Jun 20, 2009, 05:47 PM
    Jd, you beat me to it!.
    One question.. :D Is anyone growing both UDT and RST (regular standing tomato) at the same time in the same growth peroid and started them both at the same time? if so i think it would be intresting to see if maybe the growth cycle differs in any way at all (ie.. One growing quicker/slower then the other, tomato growth size difference{within the same species})
    Just Dahlia would be the closest. She has UDT and RST in containers, but to have the experiment under control the UDT's and RST's would have to be of the same family.
    The same amount of light, water, and soil. Even with greenhouse conditions My theory would be, “one plant will out-do an other”

The meeting with my Aunt went awesome... Hubby came with me and turns out her and i have more in common with eachother then with the rest of the family lol. Had plenty of rain so far this weekend and going to get more rain this week so i think i wont be able to get any gardening done.
    That's great! and I had nothing to do with sending the rain spirits your way.

Haha another question has just popped into my head that i would like to know.. whats the average growth peroid for tomato plants and what are the best months to grow them.
    For the determinate variety, and the indeterminate indefinitely. Only size differs in the two, See A World Record! for “Tomato Tree” in Disney World. I seem to remember its been growing for several years... now where'd I put that link? :confused:
    The best months would be one's that the average temp is above 70°F ~ 21.11°C toms love heat!
    or can they be started anytime in the spring and summer (with thought to as when cold weather would set in)
    They can be started any time as long as the seeds are properly prepared. Tomato plants are technically a perennial even though they are treated as an annual. Under the right conditions a tomato plant will continue to grow for years.

K
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2009, 05:58 PM
    Hey tomato ranchers, anyone have a sure fire cure for blossom-end rot? I don't mean pre-planting advice, I mean end it now ideas. Can it be stopped at this stage? Been lucky, never had it , until now. It's on one of the gravity defying ones. Thanks.

Jun 20, 2009, 08:03 PM
    Blossom End Rot is caused by a lack of calcium.
    The real problem is that the plant is unable to absorb the calcium that is in your soil due to an uneven supply of water.

It is essential to keep the soil consistently moist rather than let the soil completely dry out and then water fully. This extreme fluctuation is almost a surefire way to induce blossom end rot.

Too much nitrogen in the soil can also cause rot. In this case, a handful of lime around the base of each plant might help In your case put a little on the top.
    It is important to cut back on your fertilizing or switch to a brand that has a low nitrogen and high phosphorous to high potassium ratio.

Other conditions that may bring about blossom end rot are weather-related: extreme changes from hot to cool temperatures, stress from drought, and heavy rains after a dry spell.

Mist the plants affected with milk (for the calcium), you could even pour some on the top.

I know this has been discussed on another thread, and one problem is the smell. The reason it smells is because the Pasteurizing/Homogenizing process kills all the “good” bacteria” and the milk becomes rancid.

If you can find raw milk Do you have any milkers on the “Ponderosa”? You will have better success, you'll still have a smell, (it will still sour, which is a lot different than rancid) but not as bad. Oh, and don't forget the breakfast eggshells...

K
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2009, 05:26 AM
    JD
    Hmm and with the curious leaf curl you've cancelled out diesease, infestation, weather problems? Could just be a genetic trait passed down through generations but skipping some generations. I wonder if the UDT are growing slower because of being upsidedown or because all plants grow at their own rate regardless of genetics and species.
    Aww Dahlia I'm sure you will have some soon tomatoes are my favorite veggie... (they are a veggie are they not or are they classified as a fruit. I know some plants are classed as one when you would expect them to be called the other

K : I suppose that could always be an experiment for another time... trying to recreate the same soil, sun, water ratio for each might be a little difficult if you don't have a greenhouse setup.. HMM I need a greenhouse I wonder if the hubby would let me build one :D

I'm hoping your not the one who sent the rain spirits our way.. its muggy ontop of it all which isn't any fun... humidex of 25 Celsius with rain tomorrow. ( I'm canadian I use C not F lol)

So then since in our area the average temp doesn't seem to be reaching 20 or 21 as of yet a greenhouse setup would be best... Nova scotia seems to see a lot of cool rainy or muggy rainy days here but nothing real happy so far this year just a few Hot days with some wicked nice sun... at least my hostas I replanted are doing awesome

How would you properly prepare tomato seeds for planting and if you were going to give the UTD a shot how would I go about making the bucket. Our deck is stable enough as we just built it lol :D

I did not know they were a pernennial... wow that's neat. You learn new things each morning lol

May the sun always be at your back and warming the path in front of your feet :D
    Blessed be and merry part

Jun 21, 2009, 09:33 AM
    Before I get started this is for jmjoseph:
    Dilute the milk 50:50, you don't need to apply it full strength.
    My apologies. It was late, and I was sleepy.

OKAY!

Aww Dahlia i'm sure you will have some soon tomatoes are my favorite veggie.... (they are a veggie are they not or are they classified as a fruit. i know some plants are classed as one when you would expect them to be called the other
    Supreme Court decision:
    Nix v. Hedden - Wikipedia
    Reaganomics:
    Ketchup as a vegetable - Wikipedia

K : I suppose that could always be an experiment for another time... trying to recreate the same soil, sun, water ratio for each might be a little difficult if you dont have a greenhouse setup.. HMM i need a greenhouse i wonder if the hubby would let me build one :D
    Click on greenhouse plans.
    Agricultural Building and Equipment Plan List

I'm hoping your not the one who sent the rain spirits our way.. its muggy ontop of it all which isnt any fun... humidex of 25 celcius with rain tomorrow. ( i'm canadian i use C not F lol)
    :eek: NOT ME!. NOT ME! :eek:
    25°c humidex,that is high, as I write its 14°c here, partly sunny temp 24°c

So then since in our area the average temp doesnt seem to be reaching 20 or 21 as of yet a greenhouse setup would be best... Nova scotia seems to see alot of cool rainy or muggy rainy days here but nothing real happy so far this year just a few Hot days with some wicked nice sun... at least my hostas i replanted are doing awesome
    There are T-shirts in Bar Harbor, Maine that say “we only have one month of summer, and that's august”

Hosta's would be well suited for your climate.
    The American Hosta Society
    Hosta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    HOSTA LIBRARY

How would you properly prepare tomato seeds for planting and if you were going to give the UTD a shot how would i go about making the bucket. our deck is stable enough as we just built it lol :D
    Try this site Just Dahlia seemed quite taken with it.
    Saving Tomato Seeds - Seed Saving for Next Year's Tomato Crop
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2009, 03:32 AM

K,
    Thanks a ton for the links there's nothing better then some first thing in the morning reading... loving the agricultural building plans link you sent... I have most of the things I need for a greenhouse sitting in the shed and I didn't even know it :D.

Its quite intresting how the fruit/veggi discussion actually went to court to be determined...
    LOL sounds like my kind of shirt been waiting for the warm weather to hit soon as I'm going to be taking the dog tubing down the river lol. Is Maine where you are from? Nova Scotia is around 5 to 10 hours drive from Maine.. I've always wanted to go there mind you I've never been outside of canada. Thinking on making a trip down to South Carolina to take a look at a dog breeder down there too.

Hosta's do very well down here and I've now got my hubbys mother growing them in her flower gardens too... (we just expanded her property by almost an acre) now to just put in her rock paths she wanted. She decided that insead of growing corn this year (which she does in the back yard) she's going to build another garden area and do rasberries and strawberries though her plants don't seem to be doing that well. I believe the phesants are eating them on her.
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2009, 08:48 AM
    I'm thinking my leaf curl is 'Tabacco mosaic virus'
    Name:  tommos.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  7.7 KB

And if that is the case I might have to toss those plants before it spreads.:(

Jun 22, 2009, 09:59 AM
    Unfortunately, now that I see a larger pix, I believe your right.

Comparable view:
    Tomato Mosaic Virus

Click on pix for larger view:
    APSnet Education Center - Plant Disease Lessons - Tobacco mosaic virus

My Condolences :(
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2009, 10:18 AM
    NOOOO:eek::eek::eek:
    Say it ain't so!
    I'm going to take a close up picture when I get home and post it, so you can compare. I would hate to have to toss 3 plants, they are so big and beautiful with toms.

The second site you posted looks nothing like mine. Mine are more like parsley curl on some and just weird on theirs. Just the top new leaves.

Maybe I can just cut them off?:confused:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Growing Tomatoes [ 11 Answers ]

Last summer, my fiancé and I tried to grow some tomatoes and peppers. We were not very successful. Our tomatoes were so tiny. And hardly any peppers bloomed. Are we watering too much? Could it be the type of soil. Last year we had them in containers, this year we are hoping to grow them in...

Tomatoes are dying [ 6 Answers ]

My tomatoes plants are turning yellow starting from the ground and moving up. The leaves are yellow and curling. What is causing this and can they be saved. I water then at all different times but never after 6 p.m. I usually shower the entire plant. Also, one plant out of six is really bad...

Something eating my tomatoes [ 1 Answers ]

Something just started eating our tomatoes. We had several about to ripen, went out to pick today and most of them had been bitten into. I looked around and something had taken a bite out of half my maters.(Grrrrrrrrrr) Its not insects. There are areas where you can see teeth marks. I'm thinking,...

Cheap Tomatoes? What does this mean to you! [ 2 Answers ]

I am not sure what my position is on this yet. But, I thought I would post it to spark a discussion and maybe help me formulate my opinion >From a California school teacher - - - "As you listen to the news about the student protests over illegal immigration, there are some things that you...

View more questions Search