Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 1, 2009, 06:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by spitvenom View Post
    thanks hc and j_9! I had to talk my wife off the ledge last night she would not stop scaring herself with the news. So i put some pepper in my nose and went on a sneezing fit. Oh man i thought she was going to have a heart attack.
    Lmao!!
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

May 1, 2009, 06:47 AM

Going to the city. Toronto. People are freaking out. Apparently 3 teens that came back from mexico tested positive but before they confirmed the results. They were not told to stay home. So from Thursday to Tues they were out in the general public and now there are more cases in toronto.

So your saying J9 I should not worry about going to the city because that is where we are going.

Anyway, Just wanted to open that up. I know that most cases here in canada and the states are mild cases.
    Expert

May 1, 2009, 06:55 AM
    Joe, why worry? You have a greater chance of getting hit by a freaking bus, at least right now. Even so, it's just the FLU for goodness sake. Ever had the flu before? Fever, body aches, sore throat? Well, it's really no different.

You don't have HIV/AIDS, you aren't on chemo, you aren't 80 years old with COPD, you aren't pregnant, and you aren't 6 weeks old.

Come on people. It's the flu for crying out loud.

Wash your hands... use antibacterial soap... use Germ-X... don't get in people's faces... cough/sneeze in a tissue and throw the tissue away.

How many people in Toronto have it? The majority? I don't think so. Besides you live in a country with a great health care system, unlike Mexico.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 1, 2009, 06:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76 View Post
    Going to the city. Toronto.
    Islander in the big city eh? Those women that ask you for a good time aren't really looking for a good time. No charge for the advice. :)
    Expert

May 1, 2009, 07:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76 View Post
    Going to the city. Toronto. People are freaking out. Apparently 3 teens that came back from mexico tested positive but before they confirmed the results. They were not told to stay home. So from Thursday to Tues they were out in the general public and now there are more cases in toronto.

So your saying J9 I should not worry about going to the city because that is where we are going.

Anyway, Just wanted to open that up. I know that most cases here in canada and the states are mild cases.
    Joe, if you are worried, then don't go to the city. I'm just saying, as a health care provider, that I am not going to let this stop the daily activities of me and my family. I have Tylenol, I have Motrin. If and when it happens I'll deal with it. I'm not one for fear mongering.

We go through this every fall with the regular flu. The only difference is that this is in the spring/summer (depending on where you live).
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 1, 2009, 07:17 AM
    Here's a good website brought to you by the American media: Do You Have Swine Flu?
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2009, 07:26 AM

I just got an e-mail from the County Health Department...

... they can shut my restaurant down if there is a HINT of the swine flu.

... so... I'm guessing I can't sneeze, cough, or even remotely complain of aching anywhere...
    Uber Member

May 1, 2009, 09:34 AM

I am not really concerned J9 just throwing that out there.

There was one kid that sneezed in class in toronto and guess what they sent him to the principles office and sent the kid home. Wow.
    Overreaction or what?

Yes it is an over reactions.

Listening to the radio show, and they are making a big joke out of this too. Out of a whole country of canada. There is 35 confirmed cases. So are we going to start avoiding travel in different parts of canada. Unrealistic. THE MEDIA DOOM AND GLOOM.

The bird flu, Mad Cow Disease, sars and the list goes on..

Thank you Janine for Jumping in on this thread and everybody else. Just because I started a thread about it, does not necessarily mean I am pushing the panic button but I think it is good to be aware of what is happening. And having a discussion about it.

Joe Joe
    Uber Member

May 1, 2009, 09:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ISneezeFunny View Post
    I just got an e-mail from the County Health Department...

...they can shut my restaurant down if there is a HINT of the swine flu.

...so...I'm guessing I can't sneeze, cough, or even remotely complain of aching anywhere...
    That is not good at all Sneezy.
    Krazi Posts: 358, Reputation: 70

May 1, 2009, 10:00 AM

Wow...
    Look what I found. I wonder how many people in the world is totally using one of these right now?

U.S. Human Cases of H1N1 Flu Infection
    (As of May 1, 2009, 11:00 AM ET) States # of laboratory confirmed cases Deaths
    Arizona 4
    California 13
    Colorado 2
    Delaware 4
    Illinois 3
    Indiana 3
    Kansas 2
    Kentucky 1
    Massachusetts 2
    Michigan 2
    Minnesota 1
    Nebraska 1
    Nevada 1
    New Jersey 5
    New York 50
    Ohio 1
    South Carolina 16
    Texas 28 1
    Virginia 2
    TOTAL COUNTS 141 cases 1 death
    http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/
    Uber Member

May 1, 2009, 10:03 AM

Cool my very own panic button.

I agree Krazi when schools are closing around you. Why risk having your children in school. I would do the same and keep them home.

Take care.

Joe
    Krazi Posts: 358, Reputation: 70

May 1, 2009, 10:04 AM
    For my kids sake 2 times...
    Mountainview school still closed here in my town.
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2009, 10:15 AM

I tried hitting the panic button and nothing happened...

Damnit, now I just have to keep screaming.
    Fuzzball_Kara Posts: 279, Reputation: 74

May 1, 2009, 10:35 AM

I talked to a nurse today. As I was walking around campus she called me. I had been coming in with a sore throat. She asked me if I had certain symptoms that I knew were related to swine flu.. and I know that's what she was afraid of.
    Fuzzball_Kara Posts: 279, Reputation: 74

May 1, 2009, 10:47 AM

I couldn't get the smirk off my face. I laughed inside... The poor nurse is stressed a lot, but I kept my mouth shut. She acted calm but saw she was a little worried... She knows after evaluating me that it wasn't.. Then she was relieved...

Poor woman
    andrewc24301 Posts: 374, Reputation: 29

May 1, 2009, 02:59 PM
    I understand this topis is 8 pages long, no I have not read the whole thing.

But Gov Kaine confirmed 2 cases in VA today, and as such that means that a few others have most likley become infected in the last few days.

But the part that I find interesting is, Kaine points out that the to people have already recovered. Meaning they had the illness, have since recovered, and haven't seen a doctor yet.

This could have happened days, or weeks ago for all we know.

I'm hearing most of the cases are mild. I'm also hearing that about 40,000 people die each year from the regular seasonal flu.

I fail to see why the panic?

From the looks of this, I'd have a greater chance of hitting the big lotto prize than dying from the swine flu.

Humph... the president of our company just returned from a trip to Mexico last week. OH NO! Guess I better start bathing in bleach!
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

May 1, 2009, 03:16 PM
    Have just heard a number of doctors and scientists now feel the normal flu is actually likely to be more of a concern. One mentioned how this strain has not acted like the regular flu virus in that you are seeing relatively small numbers around the country... whereas usually the flu spreads pretty quickly. It makes it appear that it is not as easily transmitted between humans as were the first concerns. However, they questioned whether it would become more of an issue next flu season... but by then there will likely be a vaccine.

Swine flu fears ease — for now - Swine flu- msnbc.com

Have also heard Florida now has its first confirmed case and others are being checked out.
    andrewc24301 Posts: 374, Reputation: 29

May 1, 2009, 07:08 PM

Yea, but the thing is, there are probably untold numbers of people who have had this flu and have let it run it's course, and now are recovered.

I'm hearing most people don't even see the need to see a doctor on this one. And by run it's course, I mean, they got sick, and recovered before the media hype started, so nobody gave it a second thought.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

May 3, 2009, 08:31 PM

" Regular flu " causes about 35,000 deaths anually in the US

This H1N1 is treatable with Tamiflu or Relenza. This past winters "flu" was resistant to Tamiflu in a lot of cases.

If you get the flu - it is recommended to stay home [ unless you have othe medical problems - e.g.. Diabetes, heart disease ] for at least 7 days [ incubation period ].

Common sense : wash your hands BEFORE eating, or touching your nose or mouth or face. Stay at least 6 feet or further from those that are coughing or sneezing. Cover your mouth if you sneeze or cough.

I'm more worried about the epidemic of texting while driving:(

G&P
    Uber Member

May 3, 2009, 08:38 PM
    I'm more worried about the epidemic of texting while driving:(

Oh, lets add on to that list. I have seen people reading newspapers or books while driving.

There are other things as well but defiantly texting is very dangerous. It only takes a split second of not paying attention to cause an accident.

Joe

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Swine houses [ 6 Answers ]

Types of swine houses ?

View more questions Search