Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sandyforever Posts: 53, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2010, 07:22 PM
    Haa that's true

Dec 15, 2010, 07:30 PM
    The downside to tech determinism is that it focuses on technology and I would not know how to tackle this topic. Do you possibly have any other ideas.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 15, 2010, 07:32 PM

And where do you think Iraq is going with the Sunnis and Shiites "leading" the country? (I won't even mention the Kurds.)

Dec 15, 2010, 07:37 PM
    I know I am asking too much but do you think that you can maybe explain to me of how your thinking about tech determinism
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 15, 2010, 08:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sandyforever View Post
    I know i am asking too much but do you think that you can maybe explain to me of how your thinking about tech determinism
    Individualism says be tough and pull yourself up by your bootstraps, no matter who you have to trample. Social determinism says be kind like Jesus and help the least among you. Tech determinism says technology, or technological advances, is the central causal element in processes of social change, one that drives forward the government, the economy, the population, production, etc. with ricochet effects.

This is off the top of my head (with help from Wikipedia), so maybe it's worth exploring, or maybe you hate it. Maybe there's another "determinism" that can be used.

Dec 15, 2010, 08:17 PM
    I am not sure. I am so screwed I am almost done and this last point is getting me frustrated because you have no idea what to write about. And it is taking way too long to think of something to write about. This essay is due on Friday and I was hoping on finishing my introduction,conclusion, and second paragraph today so all I would have to do for tomorrow is edit the essay and put on finishing touches.

Dec 15, 2010, 08:18 PM
    Comment on sandyforever's post
    Sorry but for "u" I meant me

Dec 15, 2010, 08:21 PM
    How about the theory of democratization?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 15, 2010, 08:29 PM

Tell me more (briefly). How would that fit?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 15, 2010, 08:35 PM

I'm "researching." Yeah, that could work as a third possibility for promoting democracy and should be easy to throw in.

Here's an abstract from a paper on the subject --

It has been a venerable proposition among liberals that trade will facilitate the spread of democracy in the world. Despite the long history behind this proposition going back to the 18th century, we are still quite ignorant of the exact mechanism through which trade can foster democracy.

By combining a two-factor two-country model of international trade and a political model of strategic optimization by dictatorial rulers in face of the threat of anti-regime movements from below, this paper proposes a theory of democratization in an era of globalization. To put it succinctly, trade liberalization beyond a certain point will compel the dictatorial rulers to relax political coercion; the resulted political relaxation will expand the room for the development of democratic institutions under authoritarian regimes. This theory is firmly corroborated by empirical data for the period of 1981-2002.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 15, 2010, 09:38 PM

As you edit, be sure to watch out for mixing up self determinism and social determinism.

self determinism = individualism = free choice

Dec 15, 2010, 09:49 PM
    Yeah, I think I got the hang of the two theories of self determinism and individualism. But, I am having a bit of hard time trying to understand my third point. See my teacher wants us to do a philosophy paper right the only think is that instead of being a five paragraph essay it is a 6. so it goes like this intro-body#1,Body#2,Body#3, Rebuttal (basically state what the other side says and shoot it down), and conclusion. So I finished body 1 and 2 and rebuttal. My conclusion won't be that difficult it is just the last argument and intro is what is kind of getting me stuck.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 15, 2010, 10:29 PM
    Yeah, I think I got the hang of the two theories of self determinism and individualism.
    Wait a minute! Those two are the same thing.

It's self determinism (individualism, free choice) vs. social determinism.

Self vs. social.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 15, 2010, 10:35 PM
    Intro
    Body#1
    Body#2
    Body#3
    Rebuttal (basically state what the other side says and shoot it down)
    Conclusion
    Intro presents your case and includes your thesis statement.

Body#1? Topic

Body#2? Topic

Body#3? Topic

Rebuttal (what vs. what?)

Conclusion restates the thesis and summarizes your arguments and decides if there is a "winner" (or not).
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2010, 11:47 PM

Mmm Here Is An Idea...

Key Words.
    Forcing
    Democracy...
    They Can't Be Used Together Really. So The Theory Is An Oxymoron.

You Can't Force Democracy. If It Is Forced, It Ceases Being Democracy And Becomes A Dictatorship.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2010, 11:49 PM

On a side note, I always preferred the '5para essay' format.

Intro

Paragraph 1
    Etc as needed.

Conclusion.

I use a web design. A circle with the main theme of the paper in the center, and then branches off the circle with different points you want to make in the paper.

Dec 16, 2010, 01:54 PM
    I am having a bit of trouble writing the 1st paragraph I have tried but so far it sounds bad
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 16, 2010, 01:55 PM
    I am having a bit of trouble writing the 1st paragraph I have tried but so far it sounds bad
    What's your first sentence of it?

Dec 16, 2010, 02:07 PM
    Democratization is a process in which a political system becomes a democracy.

Dec 16, 2010, 02:08 PM
    I would really appreciate your help because I am so stressed and this point is getting me frustrated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can a force transferred person force a more senior employee to go to a different [ 1 Answers ]

2 employees with less seniority have been put in my department and now I have been forced to a different shift

Can the force of an elastic band be equated to a certain poundage of force? [ 2 Answers ]

This seems like a simple yes, but here is my confusion. A band snaps back faster than an object would free fall. So even if a stretched band was 20 pounds of force, it is pulling at a higher velocity than a twenty pound weight. For example if you do an arm curl with a 20 pounds weight, it...

Find force of gravity, normal force, and net force in Physics [ 6 Answers ]

A crate of mass m (=10 kg) is placed at rest on a (frictionless) inclined plane, which has an angle (= 30 deg ) above horizontal 1. The force of gravity on the crate is? 2. The normal force on the crate is? 3. The net force on the crate is? 4. How long would it take the crate to slide 8 m...

Foreign Income in two diff countries . But paid tax already in those countries [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am resident alien for Tax Yr 2006. I earned some income in Singapore (3 months) and In India (3 month) in Yr 2006. I guess, I can claim foreign tax credit for India as I am citizen of India and I pass 12 months test. But In Singapore I was on for 5 consecutive months and out of that only...

View more questions Search