Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2014, 12:30 PM
    what is the emperor going to do next ,compel workers to invest in these instruments
    I don't know. You're the one that sets up these red herrings then tears them down. A pointless exercise in my opinion.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2014, 02:33 PM
    Trust me .... the idea of making them mandatory participation was being floated within hrs of the SOTU address.

This is just one example :
    In part because participation in the accounts is voluntary, it isn't clear whether they will catch on with employees, who must opt in to the program.
    Alicia H. Munnell, who directs the Boston CollegeCenter for Retirement Research, said access to retirement savings plans "is the most serious problem we have, and a proposal like this sheds light on the problem, which is a good thing." But unless participants are automatically enrolled in the accounts, she adds, "you are not going to solve the coverage problem."
    http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303553204579349792616592648
    Why would you put it past him ? They made participation in Obamacare mandatory even though there is no constitutional authority to do so .(despite the pretzel logic of Chief Justice Roberts ).
    The Chinese don't want to buy our debt so the next best thing is to force workers to finance the debt by buying low yield bonds .
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 31, 2014, 02:43 PM
    Lots of assumption there Tom, and completely disregarding the settled law of the mandates. You may not agree but that doesn't make it illegal, or unconstitutional.

But a lot of this can be solved by congressional action, and the president could sign or veto, and let congress over ride if they chose to. The whole circumstance starts with is NO ACTION by congress.
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2014, 03:02 PM
    you all act like this is the first time a President has had an opposition majority in Congress. That of course is not the case . The difference is that this emperor can't even bother to consult with his own party on legislation. Look at the stink he's making over some Dem Sen opposition to the easing of Iran sanctions . Harry Reid is opposing him on fast track trade . He is throwing his majority in the Senate under the bus with his energy policy .Look at all the Dems that decided this would be a good year to retire .. Waxman ;Bill Owens ,Jim Moran ,George Miller,Mike McIntyre ,Jim Matheson .Baucus ,Harkin ,Carl Levin ,Jay Rockefeller .... More coming as the elections get closer and they learn that they can't win because of Obamacare .
    Expert

Jan 31, 2014, 03:14 PM
    I said nothing or alluded in any way the reasons or blame the specific parties. Inaction of the congress is my assertion. Repubs are retiring too. Good luck hoping Obamacare gets repubs the senate, or keeps the house.
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2014, 03:30 PM
    all I'm saying is that he has done none of the work required to get his legislative agenda passed. I'm not talking about endless campaign stops .. I'm talking about sitting down and or working the phones with members of Congress and forging deals to get it done .( a couple of golf rounds with Bonehead don't count) . Even with Obamacare he stayed in the White House and let Pelosi and Reid do all the work .
    Face the facts .He loves the pomp and ceremony of being the Head of State ;but he is not really interested in doing the work required to get it done.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2014, 03:34 PM
    Tom it seems you think the primary goal of politicians is for their party to be in power, what happened to the ethic of trying to make a difference, of providing local representation, these too are motivations before the corruption begins. If you are licked before you begin there is no point running, just let the opposition take the seats. no it is good that politicians retire and give someone fresh a chance. This is a time when your nation needs a fresh perspective, the old one isn't providing results
    Expert

Jan 31, 2014, 03:36 PM
    After 5 years Tom, you can't blame one guy for getting nothing done. Some have more blame than others but the polls say Americans believe repubs have more of it.
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2014, 04:43 PM
    yawn .. polls are meaningless . Yes I can blame one guy . He's the leader ;but he doesn't lead . Reagan took all the barbs from the Dems ,but knew that if he wanted to get anything done ,he'd have to roll up his sleeves and negotiate . He had nothing in common with Tip O'Neil and yet sat with him for hours crafting legislation . This is the stuff the emperor is not interested in doing . Clintoon did it and his Presidency is perceived as a success . Carter wouldn't /couldn't and his Presidency was a disaster . The emperor is on the Carter side of the ledger .
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2014, 04:47 PM
    Tom it seems you think
    the primary goal of politicians is for their party to be in power, what happened to the ethic of trying to make a difference, of providing local representation, these too are motivations before the corruption begins. If you are licked before you begin there is no point running, just let the opposition take the seats. no it is good that politicians retire and give someone fresh a chance. This is a time when your nation needs a fresh perspective, the old one isn't providing results
    oh I get it . You think Waxman ,who is in line to be a powerful committee chair if the Dems took power is retiring to let some young gun get a chance ? lol Of course it's about power . Almost all of these clowns 'serve ' too long . That's why I favor term limiting their a$$es .
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2014, 04:49 PM
    Tom you know you can't work with negative people, when there is deliberate attempt to undermine a legislative program as there has been what do you expect? You alleged that Obama had made use of executive orders to "rule" but in fact it was shown he has made less use of this measure than others, so all your opposition is just crap, sour grapes or just plain gripes
    Expert

Feb 1, 2014, 06:21 AM
    Bonehead had little choice but let his right wing inexperienced colleagues get burned with their shutdown/hostage position. Before then he couldn't be seen crafting legislation or a grand bargain by those same colleagues. Big difference between Bonehead and Tip, since Reagan had a willing partner, and Bonehead though he was willing cannot take any executive input back to his TParty colleagues.

Progressives and liberals often criticize Obama for even talking to repubs and you can't blame them given the amount of cooperation he has received over the last 5 years. Matter of fact we see obstruction of everything by the opposition party. I define obstruction as stopping any legislation with no reasonable alternatives. Yes I have read what repubs consider as alternatives, and have provided many links to adopted amendments which of course get voted down despite repub input.

Talking to repubs to get legislation has been a waste of time and money, and the polls you dismiss bear that out. The whole plan was to blame the president for right wing obstruction in the first place. Just ask Mitch, that was his plan from day one.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2014, 06:34 AM
    How you can keep repeating that with a straight face knowing you have 2/3 of the government including Reid's do nothing, block everything Senate.
    Expert

Feb 1, 2014, 06:40 AM
    It's the third that you guys control that's the problem.
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2014, 06:45 AM
    You think Republicans are to blame for everything, take some responsibility.
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2014, 06:59 AM
    you see ,the thing is what the Dems mean by compromise is for the Repubics to surrender to the will of the emperor . last year the House passed over 160 bills;including dozens of jobs bills , many of which passed with broad bipartisan support ,that sat on Reid's shelf collecting dust ...never to even get sent to committee. Even when the emperor sends Reid a budget it sits on his shelf .
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2014, 07:02 AM
    Exactly right, same with tolerance, race, women, diversity... compromise is walking in lockstep to the left.
    Expert

Feb 1, 2014, 07:07 AM
    I know about the 43 bills to repeal Obama Care. What were the other good ideas the House wants passed but Reid sits on it?
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2014, 08:18 AM
    Eric Cantor || Majority Leader || Jobs Legislation Tracker
    Expert

Feb 1, 2014, 08:49 AM
    Some of the bills you cited in Cantors link show the prez signed the house bill and its stuck in the senate. You do know a bill has to be approved by the House and senate BEFORE its signed so what's up with that?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The war on women [ 1516 Answers ]

Hello: We've had post after post about this alleged war on women. The right wing says, what war? There's nothing going on here. Look over there. Then they accuse the Democrats of pitting women against men. They just want to talk about jobs... But, even after those discussion, the war on...

The war on women round II [ 20 Answers ]

U.S. drops the ball on women's rights - CNN.com It seems the US is indeed conducting a war on women which places it in the same league as the restrictive society of Iran, and why, because instead of acknowledging gains endorsed by most of the world, it is a hold out for some utopian view, what...

Obama's war on women [ 18 Answers ]

Why does Obama hate women? Add to that the fact that Obama doesn't care about real life issues women are facing such as gas and grocery prices instead of $9.00 contraceptives, and I'd say Obama is the one waging a war on women, not Republicans.

View more questions Search