Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2007, 02:18 PM
    Just a quick sign in I'm heading to bed early tonight ladys its been a long day love to you all and ill see you all in the morning xxxxxx
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 25, 2007, 02:30 PM
    Sweet dreams, hon!

Grats on another day on the top branch!
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2007, 04:44 PM
    It turns out that the right kind of brain damage cures tobacco addiction. Head-banging might work after all!
    Scientists Tie Part of Brain to Urge to Smoke - New York Times
    chippers Posts: 440, Reputation: 88

Jan 25, 2007, 05:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ordinaryguy
    It turns out that the right kind of brain damage cures tobacco addiction. Head-banging might work after all!
    Scientists Tie Part of Brain to Urge to Smoke - New York Times
    Then I should be fine for the rest of my life. I bang my head against the wall constantly when I'm trying to get through to my 2 boys.
    Expert

Jan 25, 2007, 05:15 PM
    I'm at work.

Overtime is the suck.

Currently banging my head on my desk.

WAAAHAHHAHH!

Jan 25, 2007, 09:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen
    I'm at work.

Overtime is teh suck.

Currently banging my head on my desk.

WAAAHAHHAHH!

Don't do that or you'll dent the desk. Try explaining that to your boss.:p
    Expert

Jan 25, 2007, 09:28 PM
    Hey... I'm hardheaded, but not THAT hardheaded!

(besides... the boss would just be glad that 1. I didn't put my head through the computer monitor and 2. I didn't light a cigarette and start burning all the papers I was buried in with it.)

Someone please find me a smoke and pass it this way.
    Sentra Posts: 385, Reputation: 55

Jan 25, 2007, 09:51 PM
    No, you must resist: Chew and onion, play Solitaire, make little paper airplanes or even better, take up origami! No one wants to smoke with all of that paper around:).

Jan 25, 2007, 10:08 PM
    That's what I like about you syn, you see the silver lining in almost anything
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2007, 10:31 PM
    Good Morning my Lovilies - Well its 1230 here. Couldn't sleep. Happy Friday. :)

Here's to another day on the top branch.

Love and hugs
    bglover Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2007, 10:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Oh, Laura, you and EBAY!!!!!! LOL:D
    I quit. It was hard but in a very weird way kid of fun. After 23 years of not smoking I see my life now as a time before I smoked and after. My wife and I quit together. That helped. We did the smoke enders program at a local hospital. We would go every night after work for 30 minutes and we were given a new brand to smoke and a new (an lower ) quantity t smoke. We had to document every cig that we smoked. When we smoked it, where, did we enjoy it, was it after a meal, before bed etc. By week three we were down to three cigs a day and on brands that were so low, Carlton etc that we were basically nicotine free. In the process of quitting they taught us that nicotin is one of the most addictive chemicals on earth, more than cocaine! It was a process of ridding our bodies of nicotine and teaching our bodies how to live without it. IT takes about 3 weeks for your body to be free of the physical effects and cravings for the drug. After the three weeks are up it is all down to a mental pattern of addiction that you can break. We were shown how to replace the good feeling of a cig with other feelings. What you are doing by quitting is killing one of are your best friends you have ever had. A friend who is always there for you whenever you are down or excited or just need a break. If you can learn to see and live to the idea that they are not your buddies, your friends but are robbin you of your youth, your dignity and in many ways yourself. Go wayback to the first time you smoked. The reason you smoke now has nothing to do with those reasons does it? Remember the thoughts and dreams you had as a kid. All those things are still there. Replace you addiction and dig up one of those childhood dreams and make it happen. Until you admit to yourself that you are wiling to kill this buddy, to divorce yoursekf from this drug, that you are not simply obstaining from smoking but are truly a non smoker you can not succede. Haing said all this I will tell you that I am a weak willed person, I am not strong in my ability to stick to things but I did this thing. To this day it is one thing in my life that I am truly proud of. Realize that every now and then after 23 years of not smoking I will find myself (maybe twice a year) just for a moment looking around for something. Then I realize that I was looking for my cigs. I take a deep breath and look back fondly at my success.

Good luck , you can do this when you are ready. Ti really takes 21 days of controlled withdrawl with educated support and modivation.
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2007, 10:45 PM
    Wow Bglover.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing that. Just awesome. Congratualtions. Your words are truly helpful! I am going to print them out. I am on day 9 the others are ahead of me. I was just wondering, when the heck does the urge go away!! But mentally, I am strong as an ox! Hubby will be following suit soon and I told him, mentally, you have to be strong!

Thank you thank you and thank you. I know the others will come in and thank you as well.
    This thread has been an awesome support and your contribution is just great and I am going to keep reading it.

Please keep coming in, our door is always open :) And we can always use a pep talk or if you happen to know any good receipes for Duck. :)

Again, thank you so much!

Jan 25, 2007, 11:16 PM
    Glad I could help. It take about 21 -26 days to rid your self of most any drug. Get a calendar and x off the days. Be gentle to yourself this is hard. Reward yourself with a walk to a special place. Go somewhere that is new to you. Explore where you live, voluenteer more, clean the trucnk of your car, make a snowman. Learn to play the claranet. While all those thing sound kind of weird and disjointed they are all possibilites of discovering the non smoker who is emerging. 9 days is GREAT, every day will be just a little eaiser. Replace you craving with physical activity. Your real cravings will be gone by Spring. Plan a garden and see it as your vistory garden. Dring loads of water right now. Eat loats of carrots and sweet potatoes. Any orange vegetable. The chemicals in those foods help calm your bodies cravings for nicoten.

Men tend to go a bit nuts when they quit, more then women. Best to line up fun physical activities. I dug a giant hole in the back yard, no kidding. If you take walks together that is a good start.

Think about this the next time you really have a strong craving as k yourself one question. Do you ever want to feel like this or go through this process again? One cigarette, just one and you are back to square one? You are a non smoker now. Go into the bathroom right now, look yourself in the mirror, really really look, get your face right up there. Wait until you see yourself, 1 minute minimum, then say out loud, I am a non smoker, I am a non smoker, I am a non smoker. It sounds dumb and you might feel a little silly but it really does work. Don't be a little surprised if you cry a little , that's OK. You just met someone you haven't seen in years!

Keep going.
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2007, 11:30 PM
    Bg - oooh Thank you again. I did tear up reading what you wrote, but with a smile. The mirror thing will have to wait for just an hour or so, just got up and me hair is just a bit of a mess. But I will do it :).

I will eat lots of oranges (will that help? )
    Exactly why I will NOT pick up a cig. No way, do I want to have to go through all this again. Oh no! And No way. I started weaning down Dec 29 and reached for a day and then 9 days ago I stopped completely. Thanks to my new friends on this thread :)

The terrible thing is, and I felt so bad, but the other day, I saw a lady outside smoking and honest to Pete, that split second I thought, that looks ridiculous. I wasn't judging her, it was just the instant mental thought that I had. I felt terrible for thinking that afterwards.

Yes, I am getting the gear ready for when hubby starts. I just hope I can be strong for him. No, I will be strong for him :)

Oh thank you so much again. I just know, the others will appreciate it as well.

I know you must enjoy your success every day you awake. Good for you :)

Jan 25, 2007, 11:37 PM
    It is a great thing that you saw the lady smoking outside as a rediclus thing because it is. No one starts smoking thinging that they will end up smoking out in the cold by the garbage cans for no real reason. When your husband is ready to join you he will. For me it was an adventure of self discovery that worked. You should like a non smoker, you will make it!

Off to bed, sun up in just a few hours for me.
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2007, 11:42 PM
    Thank you again and get some good rest.

Your words have been so helpful.

Come back and meet the others :)
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2007, 02:44 AM
    :D Interesting words from a ex smoker thank you for sharing that with us it means a lot to hear others and there time of deciding to quit and staying quit.

Good morning Ladys and Joe hope your all well I didn't want to get out of bed this morning but this little voice singing and shouting mummy kind of spurred me on :D

Jan 26, 2007, 06:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by curlybenswife
    :D Interesting words from a ex smoker thankyou for sharing that with us it means alot to hear others and there time of deciding to quit and staying quit.

Good morning Ladys and Joe hope your all well i didnt want to get out of bed this morning but this little voice singing and shouting mummy kinda spurred me on :D
    I hear the same voies every day as well cbw. Mine are more like a shove out of bed. I got up to see my cat had been locked in the coat closet all night. Other than that, I'm doing just duckie. Hope all GODDESSES have a good day today. ALLHEART it doesn't matter when you quit smoking. It's the fact you did that counts. bglover, thank you for your words of inspiration. Do you have any for cuting back on caffiene? I quit smoking two years ago and this is my number one vice. I'm done to 3 cans a day now which is good for me. (I've averaged at leat 6-7 cans a day prior)
    ALLHEART, the cravings will lessen the longer you don't smoke. Why not get the gum. When you have acraving chew a piece of the gum. It worked for me. As long as you aren't doing a patch or anything ele that contains nicotine. That should help.
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2007, 06:27 AM
    Morning Chippers me dear,
    Im going to buy a box of gum at the weekend today though all I want to do is go back to bed I feel like some demented rag doll lol its been a long week ;)

Millie is sat on the floor surrounded by cheese puffs and bits of apple wiggling to music on the TV hehehehe

Jan 26, 2007, 06:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by curlybenswife
    Morning Chippers me dear,
    Im gonna buy a box of gum at the weekend today though all i wanna do is go back to bed i feel like some demented rag doll lol its been a long week ;)

Millie is sat on the floor surrounded by cheese puffs and bits of apple wiggling to music on the tv hehehehe
    Ahh how cute. I have two boys and I live vicariously through those who have little girls. I wish we weren't separated by the "pond" because I would love to babysit and spoil her a little.
    Yes get the gum. It also curbs cravings and in doing that eases you anxiety over wanting a smoke. Every now and then I still want a smoke but I either suck on a loolipop, oe chew a piece of the gum and I'm fine afterwards.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Quitting smoking [ 11 Answers ]

Time to share all of your tips and techniques. I am a 19 year addict and my husband is a 10 year addict. We both are quitting together, cold turkey. Any suggestions?? Hypatia:confused:

Smoking [ 21 Answers ]

Is smoking dope every day bad for you? More bad than smoking cigarettes?

Smoking and dancing [ 14 Answers ]

This is sort of a similar question to the one I asked about wine and spirits. I know that there are some churches that prohibit smoking and dancing (not necessarily both at the same time lol). So my question is, as before, where do these beliefs come from? Dancing is mentioned lots of times in the...

Tower-Smoking [ 3 Answers ]

I smoke a lot when I'm using my PC. I know it's bad for both of us. I do have a home smoke filter next to it. My question is, can I use something(what?) in the air intake of my computer without compromising the cooling factor too much. Might it be possible to put an extremely lightly oiled...

View more questions Search