Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rhiannos25 Posts: 6, Reputation: -3

May 17, 2009, 07:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    I know a lot of people want a purebred dog from a young age which is why they should buy them from a REGISTERED breeder.
    Yes the prices are higher but that;s what you have to pay if want the health of your dog to be priority.

Both the stud dogs and b!tches have genetic testing done so that no hereditary traits are passed on the the prodginy.
    Registered breeders don't simply see a dog on the street and like the look of it, they find other registered breeders who have the same knowledge of dogs that they do and are always trying to improve the breed.

I wasn't having a go at you because you didn't say the op was wrong, I was simply saying that there is a reason there is a list of registered breeders and people should either buy from a breeder or go to a shelter, not stud their dog out because someone 'liked the look of it'.
    What you are saying is absolutely true and it should be the case that you go to a registered breeder to get a healthy dog. Sadly this is not the case. It wasn't for us when we went to get our French Bulldog.
    We're from the UK and we went through the kennel club to seek out what they themselves recommended as a "reputable breeder". After finding one with an available litter, we went to meet our puppy. We saw the health certificates and a vets report and paid a deposit on him - total price £2000 pounds. We were more than happy to pay such a high price because it's not wrong to assume that what you're getting is a healthy dog for such an amount right? Wrong! Our puppy came to us and was great for the first couple of weeks but afterwards I noticed that he started to sit with his back legs totally spread out in the splits position. I contacted the breeder and she said "completely normal, nothing to worry about" my husband and I weren't convinced. An x-ray at the vets then uncovered that he had a hemivertebrae defect in six of his discs. We contacted the breeder but she refused to give a refund or to acknowledge that this dog was ill, saying that we were just trying to threaten her reputation to get our money back, even when our vet sent her a letter. "Fine" we thought the Kennel Club will want to hear about this especially as this is a genetic defect and she was planning to continue breeding from her dogs. Unfortunately they were no help either. They said that French Bulldog breeders already had a bad name and they refused to take this breeders name of their register! She is registered on there still and this was 2 years ago. Unfortunately for our puppy Marmite, 9 weeks after we discovered his disability and 12 hours before he was due for surgery, he had massive fit and had to be put to sleep.
    To top it off, about 9 months ago there was a documentary shown here on the BBC that uncovered the despicable practices of registered breeders and totally trashed the reputation of the British Kennel Club because there were all these terrible things going on that they knew about and had even recommended! As a result of that the Crufts dogshow was not aired on television.
    So my opinion of these "registered breeders" is not good at all and not just because what happened to me. My sister also had a terrible time with a registered breeder but then there was this documentary that just blew the lid off it all... It's probably different in America but this documentary was totally shocking and interesting! It's a shame really because there are genuine breeders out there that do have the dogs / breed interest at heart and it's not about the money, we just weren't able to find them!
    After all that we now have a Jack Russel mix.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 17, 2009, 08:04 AM

I'm so sorry to hear that rhiannos... that is a genetic problem and the breeder obviously was thinking more about the money than the dogs health :(
    It is true that there are a few bad eggs out there, I'm very surprised that they weren't immediately struck off the breeders list after what happened to you!
    I am also unsure of the specifics in America as I am in Australia... Here if someone deliberately breeds a dog with a known defect they are banned from breeding altogether and struck off the breeders list.

May 17, 2009, 08:31 AM
    I'm so sorry to hear that rhiannos... that is a genetic problem and the breeder obviously was thinking more about the money than the dogs health :(
    It is true that there are a few bad eggs out there, I'm very surprised that they weren't immediately struck off the breeders list after what happened to you!
    I am also unsure of the specifics in America as I am in Australia... Here if someone deliberately breeds a dog with a known defect they are banned from breeding altogether and struck off the breeders list.
    Sorry I thought you were American :confused:

Rightfully the breeder should have been struck off and prosecuted as far I am concerned. Unfortunately it's the dogs have been severely let down.

I've attached a link to YouTube showing a part of the BBC documentary which highlighted the cruelty behind dog breeding - UK specifically embarrssingly enough! It's only part 1 but I think there is about 5. It's very interesting but don't watch it if you easily upset it's VERY disturbing and really sad.
    Uber Member

May 17, 2009, 08:34 AM

The link didn't show up :confused:

I'll do a YouTube search if you give me the title?

I heard that the UK breeding laws were pretty tough, I know a few people here who have imported dogs from there and they had to have all the vet certificates and pedigrees before they could be exported.
    Guess a few slip through the cracks :(

May 17, 2009, 08:37 AM
    The link didn't show up :confused:

I'll do a youtube search if you give me the title?

I heard that the UK breeding laws were pretty tough, I know a few people here who have imported dogs from there and they had to have all the vet certificates and pedigrees before they could be exported.
    Guess a few slip through the cracks :(
    I am an ;) Forgot to include the link!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbvv0vBf7t8
    Uber Member

May 17, 2009, 08:39 AM

Hehe, thanks :)
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

May 17, 2009, 08:39 AM

Fortunately, there's no real dog commerce in Mauritius... only the MSPCA does, and their dog are thoroughly checked before being sold.

As I said before, the only problem is for the rising number of puppy thieves who sell them for a lot of cash.

Btw, I've got a neighbour who had two females, then, the dog family grew, there're at least seven dogs there! :eek: However, it's a relief when you know that robbers cannot easily come in the neighbourhood :D
    Uber Member

May 17, 2009, 08:47 AM

Ok well, I stopped the video when they said that one of the reasons for the problems was competitive dog showing...

I show dogs myself so I'm not getting into that argument!! :p

They did have some good points though, and some awful images (the cavalier cunvulsing on the floor in particular)
    Also a good point about stud dogs being used to produce many many puppies and that a lot of the problems come from the dog...
    My main point is that a responsible breeder would test for these things and not breed the dog...

To sum it up... good points but they singles out all pedigree dogs... not just dodgy breeders.

I think I'll have to watch the other videos in the series though before I dig my grave any deeper :)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 17, 2009, 11:53 AM
    Here are some of the dogs in my shelter right now;

Attachment 19861

Attachment 19862

Attachment 19863

Attachment 19864

Do they deserve to die because someone wants to breed?

Just saying. :)
    Uber Member

May 17, 2009, 12:05 PM

I would take the Staffy, he look gorgeous :)
    Pets Expert

May 17, 2009, 12:06 PM

I love the Golden retriever cross. I have to say, those shelter people sure do know how to take a picture. Those eyes, the faces, how can you say no to them? How can you let them die? I can't!

If I wasn't at my pet limit I'd be running down to the shelter right now!

Stupid sappy heart. ;)
    Uber Member

May 17, 2009, 12:20 PM

I'm at my limit now with 2...
    I have to apply for a kennel licence before I can own any more.

Sadly I'm one of the 'evil' people who have purebreds :p lol

My parents have been breeding great danes for over 20 years and their very first one was from a shelter. Poor thing was starved, they took her home and gave her a 10 course banquet... big mistake
    They were cleaning up diarreah for the next few days...
    They had her for about 8 years I think... then when I was born they got a rottweiller (had to rehome her because she was aggressive)... then they went back to great danes!
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

May 17, 2009, 12:25 PM

Great Danes are such lovely dogs. I couldn't love my Kane anymore then I do. Its hard to say who's more attached, him to me or me to him. It hardly feels like its only been two weeks since we adopted him, and now he is here I can't imagine life without him, or a Dane period in my home.

I'm going to throw huge hugs at shaz for that. :) If it weren't for you I may not have him. I owe you a huge debt.

Sorry, Can't fin the cord and I'm a procrastinator on getting a new one. Pics will eventually happen.
    Uber Member

May 17, 2009, 12:36 PM

Aww *hugs back*
    You deserve him, I know how much you wanted him and will love him.
    Give him a big slobbery kiss from me lol

Yes.. still waiting for those pictures *taps foot* :p
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

May 17, 2009, 12:37 PM

He is soiled rotten excuse typos, can't see the screen through his head. He is demanding... fkjggrggrg head on keyboard.
    Uber Member

May 17, 2009, 12:44 PM

Hahaha, yep I can picture it now!

Have you had the head on the dining table experince yet?. nothing like a bit of drool covering your roast lamb dinner :p
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

May 18, 2009, 03:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Here are some of the dogs in my shelter right now;

Attachment 19861

Attachment 19862

Attachment 19863

Attachment 19864

Do they deserve to die because someone wants to breed?

Just saying. :)

Oh my god, they are all so gorgeous. I've noticed something about shelter pets, dogs or cats they all have that same look in their eyes, you know like they've given up. All it takes is for someone to come along and give them a nice home restoring their hope and that beautiful twinkle in their eyes.

Since there are no shelters around my house,(there is an spca but no shelter, so no dogs and sometimes only few cats) I got my dog from a reputable breeder. We did get our cats from a shelter though. And you know I hear people talking about all these breeds of cats. But to me it means more to know that these cats were given a second chance. Someone though they didn't deserve but they do deserve it and that's why we adopted them 4 yrs ago.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

May 18, 2009, 08:20 AM

Just Dahlia agrees: Where the heck is Mauritius?
    See there: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/lounge...ml#post1700784
    Uber Member

May 18, 2009, 08:27 AM

Yep Rex, I'm with you... reputable breeder or shelter is the way to go...
    One of my poodles (Prada) my mum bred
    And my other poodle (Brody) We bought from a breeder.
    Both were intended to be show dogs... Prada had some temperament issues and Brody well... he was supposed to be white and by 11 months he was still dark cream/coffee...
    He is now a little over 1 year old and he is pure white... his coat lightened AFTER we clipped his show coat off... hmph!
    I toyed with the idea of growing it back but he loves doing tricks so I'm teaching him obedience and agility at the moment.

One of my bunny rabbits was from a pet store (Yes, I know... naughty me)
    And the other I adopted from the shelter...

And Unky... I'm so, so Jealous of you!!

Edit - forgot the fish :p They were from a pet store :p
    Pets Expert

May 18, 2009, 09:29 AM

Shaz, one of my bunnies is from a pet store too, so don't feel bad. I didn't intend to get him, we had gone to the pet store for dog food, but there he was, it was love at first site. I couldn't leave him there. That's Cotton, our little fluffy butt. ;)

Two are shelter rescues, the other, Oreo, was found by a neighbors friend wandering the street.

My oldest dog was from a friends accidental litter, very accidental. The male was supposedly neutered, but the vet screwed up, it didn't take. The female was under a year. So, he thought he had no worries.

It was right before our wedding, we had gone to visit him and up comes Nala (the female). I took one look at her, looked at my hubby and said "Do you want a puppy?" He said "One day" I said "No, do you want one of Nala's puppy's?" he said "She's not pregnant", I said "Yes she is, I wonder if our friend knows".

I told him, he didn't believe me. He rushed her to the vet and sure enough. So, when we returned from our honeymoon we drove to his place to see 7 adorable puppies (one died at birth). That's how we got our Indy.

Jasper was a shelter rescue, and abused pup, scared of his own shadow, I had to take him, he was on death watch.

Chewy is from a reputable beagle breeder, in fact, she's one of the best breeders I've ever met. I had to jump through hoops to get him, and that's how it should be. She still writes me emails at least once a month to see how Chewy is doing and asking for pictures. I adore her. She's been breeding since she was a child, her parents were breeders, taught her everything they know. She's now in her 60's, does it still because she loves the breed. I'm glad she does, because of her we have our little stinker Chewy.

Another book by Alty. Sorry. I love my fur babies.

Should I tell you about Marty our bird? Kidding. ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Tenant won't pay rent, won't move furniture out and won't answer calls from me! [ 4 Answers ]

I have a tenant who won't pay rent, won't move furniture out and won't take calls from me. They do not use the house as a primary residence. They are very wealthy and definitely have the means to pay. Just incredibly evasive and dismissive. Dotn know where to turn. Someone please help! I cannot...

My dog won't eat after being ill and losing his mate [ 6 Answers ]

My mum one Sunday took the dogs for a walk, it was a hot day and they both ended up getting very sick, one died on our kitchen floor, the other was taken to the vet where we were told it was heat exhaustion. He was put on a drip and the like, since then he was been a different dog. He won't eat...

My ex and my best mate? [ 13 Answers ]

Okay, So I broke up with my ex-girlfriend around 2 months ago. She was the one that dumped me and subsequently its been a tough time. While we don't hate each other were are doing the No Contact rule in order to allow things to heal. I have not healed yet, not by far, I still have feelings for...

Guy mate [ 2 Answers ]

There iz this guy that I really like an we are bezzi mates but he is 3 years older than me an I fancy him but he is going out wiv sum1 else... HELP!:confused:

View more questions Search