Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2013, 08:21 AM
    Funny how the nanny state that won't let us buy Buckyballs is OK with using drivers as human marshmallows.

'Buckyballs' magnate says feds took him down for speaking out | Fox News
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 24, 2013, 08:50 AM
    In fact, from 2009 to 2011, the CPSC says some 1,700 children have been hospitalized after ingesting Buckyballs or similar, high-powered magnets.
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2013, 09:43 AM
    Children also have problems with peanuts, do we ban them, too?

Zucker says he worked vigorously with the agency and had five warning labels on the product.Maxfield & Oberton, Zucker's company, complied when the agency sought a recall in 2010, asking to adjust the warning label on the product. But in 2012, the agency sought a "stronger recall of the product."

"Essentially, it was a declaration that we were going out of business," Zucker said.The commission was on the brink of outlawing products that it not only approved, but even helped create the warning labels for, Zucker told FoxNews.com. He said the CPSC was adamant about the product recall, asked stores to stop selling them and did not listen to any recommendations from Maxfield & Oberton to assuage the agency's safety concern. The agency filed an administrative lawsuit hours after receiving his company's recommendation, he said.

With his million-dollar company belly-up for a product he still believes is safe, Zucker lashed out against what he considered government overreach. He took out online ads lampooning the nanny-state regulatory mentality.

"Coconuts: tasty fruit or deadly sky ballistic?" read one. "Stairways: are they really worth the risk?"
    I get it though, you're ok with public schools that can't teach people how to read warning labels, punishing success and selling toaster ovens on wheels.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 24, 2013, 09:58 AM
    Got no sympathy for laid off Chinese workers in the grand scheme of things. Or conflating everything to the level blame the government. Warning labels? Make the magnets harder to swallow, like bigger, and changing the shape? Naw, too expensive and requires creativity.

great American success story.............importing small, high-powered magnets from China.

??
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2013, 09:59 AM
    Thanks for confirming my point.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2013, 02:11 PM
    great American success story.............importing small, high-powered magnets from China.

\and this has to do with climate change, how? do the magnets change the weather?

More to the point Japan and Australia have backed off on forward committments to CO2 reductions which of course means the BRICS have their knickers in a knot about it, where were they in the days of Kyoto?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2013, 02:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post

\and this has to do with climate change, how? do the magnets change the weather?

More to the point Japan and Australia have backed off on forward committments to CO2 reductions which of course means the BRICS have their knickers in a knot about it, where were they in the days of Kyoto?
    Japan has more important things to deal with . The Chi-coms are at it again
    China claims air rights over disputed islands - World - The Boston Globe
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2013, 02:19 PM
    so there is a typoon in the south china sea, what they are talking about is a couple of lumps of rock and it is all about oil anyway
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2013, 02:41 PM
    so there is a typoon in the south china sea, what they are talking about is a couple of lumps of rock and it is all about oil anyway
    it's about aggressive territorial expansion. It's not just Japan ,but EVERY country in the seas around Japan ;and every nation they border . Wake up
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2013, 03:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    it's about aggressive territorial expansion. It's not just Japan ,but EVERY country in the seas around Japan ;and every nation they border . Wake up
    China has widened its radar net, Japan is upset that China has flown planes in the area. China has said this in no way impacts on the usual operations of other nations in the area.

I think you need to wake up! China has territorial claims, Japan has territorial cliams so China and Japan need to sort it out, hopefully without the warships lining up.

I think that your attitude is remarkable for an nation that has swallowed a great deal of territory merely on the basis of proximity
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2013, 05:58 AM
    I wonder if Australia was similarly unconcerned when the Japanese were expanding their sphere.
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2013, 09:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    I wonder if Australia was similarly unconcerned when the Japanese were expanding their sphere.

As I recall Tom we sold the Japanese certain commodites prior to WWII and expected our imperial pals to cover us with their umbrella, I see the same scenario and I hope we don't have the same outcome
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2013, 12:04 AM
    Let us think about this latest agreement on climate chanege for a moment, the nations agreed to contribute to climate change abatement, they specifically didn't make committments. Could the aftermath of Kyoto have demonstrated that it is too hard, or foolish, to tie the nation to a specific level of emissions. Now my nation met its Kyoto committments but going beyond a 5% abatement target which basically takes us back to the 1990 start point is in the too hard basket. When we look at why; we have little heavy manufacturing left, our emissions come from transport and electricity generation and there hasn't been a new power station built in many years, in fact they are starting to think of mothballing one. I suspect it is just as difficult for other developed nations, there is nothing to give up but life style and our roofs to solar panels

Now Tom will get a laugh that many of those solar panels originate in China, we sell them commodities they refine, and we suspect contribute to emissions and they ship us equipment to abate emissions. It seems to me that something is working and this concentration on national emissions is so much hogwash
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2013, 05:33 AM
    Speaking of selling things to China, they get a car company and we get stuck with the bill.

Fisker Automotive failure could hit U.S. taxpayers for years to come
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2013, 06:43 AM
    As I recall Tom we sold the Japanese certain commodites prior to WWII and expected our imperial pals to cover us with their umbrella, I see the same scenario and I hope we don't have the same outcome
    as for us ;we have a security agreement with Japan dating to 1960 that requires us to defend the territorial claim of the islands by the Japanese . The rest of the nations in and around the 1st island chain will watch to see if we honor our commitment . A different President would've already flown B1 bombers through their so called air defense identification zone (ADIZ) in the East China Sea .
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2013, 07:36 AM
    Hello again,
    Fisker Automotive failure could hit U.S. taxpayers for years to come
    Couple things.

On another thread, tom mentions all the oil under his feet and said that economic development is the way to end poverty, or words to that effect. BUT, when economic development doesn't work so well, as in the Fisker, it's a BAD thing.

And, speaking of Fisker, the Chevy Volt, and Tesla, when the development of a brand new industry, ISN'T a straight line from conception to success, you right wingers BAD MOUTH the failures. You should be applauding the entrepreneurship, instead. Those companies are doing things the right wing should LOVE.

excon
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2013, 07:42 AM
    On another thread, tom mentions all the oil under his feet and said that economic development is the way to end poverty, or words to that effect. BUT, when economic development doesn't work so well, as in the Fisker, it's a BAD thing.
    And on every other post Tal complains about corporate welfare.

P.S. How much Medicaid and food stamps could you get for $488 million?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2013, 07:52 AM
    Hello again, Steve:
    How much Medicaid and food stamps could you get for $488 million?
    You always ask the wrong question.. Remember the son who complained that they didn't wear shoes in China? The RIGHT question is how much will we save when the technology WORKS..

The answer to that, of course, is EVERYTHING!!!

excon
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2013, 07:58 AM
    You always ask the wrong question.. Remember the son who complained that they didn't wear shoes in China? The RIGHT question is how much will we save when the technology WORKS..

The answer to that, of course, is EVERYTHING!!!
    So how many years should my daughter get crappy healthcare so you can have another hybrid automobile? You do know we already have hybrids by Toyota, Ford, Nissan, Honda, and well, pretty much everyone.
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2013, 08:04 AM
    And, speaking of Fisker, the Chevy Volt, and Tesla, when the development of a brand new industry, ISN'T a straight line from conception to success, you right wingers BAD MOUTH the failures. You should be applauding the entrepreneurship, instead.
    I would if that were the case. Instead what we have is the goverment trying to invent an industry on the taxpayer's dime. That aint entrepreneurship in a capitalist system ...that instead is cronyism ;passing on the taxpayer's money to industries the government favors at the expense of those not as connected . If tal et al complain about crony capitalism these examples are where you should begin your griping .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why was the Hundred Years War such a pivotal war in European history? [ 0 Answers ]

2. Why was the Hundred Years War such a pivotal war in European history?

Climate change?? [ 35 Answers ]

Hello: Look, I'm a climate change denier too, but this is some crazy weather we're having, huh? So, even though global warming is a hoax, if my home had been destroyed by Sandy, I wouldn't temp fate again. I'd move or rebuild it on stilts. You? 98% of the worlds scientists AGREE that...

Latest weapon in the war on climate change [ 40 Answers ]

Or global climate disruptions or whatever they call it these days, the latest weapon to save the planet is... the official EPA climate change rap. I'm speechless.

World War two prisnor of war camps [ 4 Answers ]

There was movie I saw, back in like the early 70's. The story line was a prisnor of war camp along the German/Swiss border or German/Austrian border. The POW's build a glider and launch it from the ridge of the top floor roof, using a tub that is dropped from several stories to provided the...

Is the Iraq War just merely a political conflict or really a War? [ 10 Answers ]

The Iraq War has been awfully quiet these days. I read historical documentaries about other wars and, every time there's a war, It would cause much panic and it would all be on the news and everything. Officials would be all over the nation trying to find recruits and signs are up. But the Iraq...

View more questions Search