Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2013, 09:51 PM
    Yes let's put this whole thing down to media hype, just another media beatup, probably didn't happen at all
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 24, 2013, 04:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    yes let's put this whole thing down to media hype, just another media beatup, probably didn't happen at all
    Since it didn't happen then we can stop talking about it and leave everything how it is. ;)

Now a return to reality.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 24, 2013, 11:19 AM
    Senator Feinstein just came out and announced that NO guns will be taken away, but they do want to dry up the supply from here on in, and close loopholes and stop straw purchasers from going from a gun show to another state and selling guns and ammo out of their trunk, and banning imports of some arms by other countries.

And trust but verify through registrations, and background checks, that gun purchasers are the honest citizens they claim to be, and not criminals gaming the system.

Now what's wrong with that?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2013, 11:27 AM
    but they do want to dry up the supply from here on in
    What does that mean ?
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2013, 12:18 PM
    Sounds like the greatly successful war on drugs.
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2013, 12:42 PM
    I think it means existing stock becomes grandfathered... and new semi-auto guns banned... including the ammo . That way they can keep up the bleating "no one is taking guns away".
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2013, 01:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Senator Feinstein just came out and announced that NO guns will be taken away, but they do want to dry up the supply from here on in, and close loopholes and stop straw purchasers from going from a gun show to another state and selling guns and ammo out of their trunk, and banning imports of some arms by other countries.

And trust but verify thru registrations, and background checks, that gun purchasers are the honest citizens they claim to be, and not criminals gaming the system.

Now whats wrong with that?
    Sounds like the voice of reason but there are those who won't make these sort of concessions
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2013, 02:30 PM
    Senator Feinstein just came out and announced that NO guns will be taken away, but they do want to dry up the supply from here on in...
    Dry up the supply? You must be joking.

P.S. The vast majority of sellers at gun shows are dealers who would dare not risk pi$$ing off the regulators. Most of the rest of the exhibitors sell t-shirts and hats.
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 24, 2013, 02:35 PM

And trust but verify thru registrations, and background checks, that gun purchasers are the honest citizens they claim to be, and not criminals gaming the system.

Now whats wrong with that?
    Register with who? National gun registration? No way in my book. Im not opposed to being checked out at the time of purchase but registering guns can be a bad idea. A very bad idea.
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 24, 2013, 02:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    Dry up the supply? You must be joking.

P.S. The vast majority of sellers at gun shows are dealers who would dare not risk pi$$ing off the regulators. Most of the rest of the exhibitors sell t-shirts and hats.
    Truth be told there are also private firearm sellers at almost every gun show I have been to. They are not the ones inside the show. They are not regulated in the same manner. But then again they may also be selling who knows what. Stolen guns or those used in a crime. Its never a good idea unless you know the person your dealing with to make a private sale of guns

Also to make a clarification: A straw purchaser is buying with the intention of selling to a person or persons that can not own a gun legally. They are not the ones selling out of a trunk or otherwise walking the lines at gun shows.
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2013, 03:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Truth be told there are also private firearm sellers at almost every gun show I have been to. They are not the ones inside the show. They are not regulated in the same manner. But then again they may also be selling who knows what. Stolen guns or those used in a crime. Its never a good idea unless you know the person your dealing with to make a private sale of guns

Also to make a clarification: A straw purchaser is buying with the intention of selling to a person or persons that can not own a gun legally. They are not the ones selling out of a trunk or otherwise walking the lines at gun shows.
    Hey, even I don't think selling guns out of a trunk in the parking lot is a good idea. I just think we need to clarify that dealers at a gun show have the same requirements as any other licensed dealer, they have no loophole.

P.S. Feinstein wants more funding for the ATF to help enforce her new rules. That would be the same ATF that let guns walk to Mexico wouldn't it? No registration, no background check, no fingerprints?
    Expert

Jan 24, 2013, 03:38 PM
    That's the Arizona laws that makes it legal to buy a gun, walk down the street and sell it to someone, without any of those things you mentioned. What part of the Arizona AG refusing to prosecute those folks are you missing.
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 24, 2013, 03:48 PM
    Thats the Arizona laws that makes it legal to buy a gun, walk down the street and sell it to someone, without any of those things you mentioned. What part of the Arizona AG refusing to prosecute those folks are you missing.
    Lets be clear here if we can. Many states allow for the private sale of a gun. Almost all that do; do not require a background check at the time of sale as it would be using a FFL. That being said all of those states also make it illegal to knowingly sell a firearm to someone who doesn't have the right to own one as defined by law.

So what part of the "sale" upsets you the most? The fact it can be done quickly without verification or that it can be done at all?

For reference here is Arizona gun laws:

Arizona Gun Laws
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2013, 03:50 PM
    Thats the Arizona laws that makes it legal to buy a gun, walk down the street and sell it to someone, without any of those things you mentioned. What part of the Arizona AG refusing to prosecute those folks are you missing.
    What part of the ATF allowing high-powered assault weapons to walk to Mexico have you been missing?
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2013, 05:25 PM
    I think both Houses of Congress should have an up and down vote on this bill immediately... no amendments .Let's get them all on record . Who supports this and who opposes .
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2013, 05:51 PM
    Hello again, tom:

I think they should too. Clearly the country wants the ban. The question is whether politicians will do their jobs, or are they beholden to the special interests.

excon
    Expert

Jan 24, 2013, 08:17 PM
    So what part of the "sale" upsets you the most? The fact it can be done quickly without verification or that it can be done at all?
    BOTH. I don't think its right for a drug dealer to give a person cash to buy him a gun.
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2013, 03:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, tom:

I think they should too. Clearly the country wants the ban. The question is whether politicians will do their jobs, or are they beholden to the special interests.

excon
    Yeah keep believing that
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2013, 03:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, tom:

Excon
    We can have an honest discussion, who's going to start it on your side? Not Rahmbo, who's pressuring banks to stop dealing with gun manufacturers.

Emanuel is sending letters to two major financial institutions, TD Bank and Bank of America, which offer lines of credit to gun makers suggesting that they stop lending money to the manufacturers if they don’t come out for new gun restrictions.

“TD Bank currently aids the gun manufacturing industry through a $60 million revolving line of credit with Smith & Wesson, a gun manufacturer that produces the AR-15 — an assault weapon that was used by James Holmes to kill 12 people and wound 58 in a crowded movie theatre in Aurora,” Emanuel’s missive to TD CEO Bharat Masrani states. “I ask you to use your influence to push this company to find common ground with the vast majority of Americans who support a military weapons and ammunition ban and comprehensive background checks.”

Noting that Chicago’s municipal employees and teachers had already divested money in pension funds from gun makers that are opposing new gun laws, the White House chief of staff-turned-mayor wrote: “Now we need you and other commercial banks to join this fight for safer streets. Collectively we can send a clear and unambiguous message to the entire gun industry that investors will no longer financially support companies that profit from gun violence.”

Read more: Rahm Emanuel presses banks on guns - Jonathan Martin - POLITICO.com
    Yes, those evil gun manufacturers are in business to "profit from gun violence." And trying to strong-arm the banks to cut their financial ties? Unbelievable.
    Expert

Jan 25, 2013, 05:52 PM
    I understand, you don't care about the lives lost from gun violence in the cities.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gun Control... it didn't take long [ 1292 Answers ]

I won't go into hysterics that Obama is going to take away our guns. Just one question. If the US backs a UN Treaty to restrict small arms ,what is the law of the land ? The treaty ,or the Constitution of the land... specifically the 2nd Amendment ? After Obama win, U.S. backs new U.N....

Gun control. My thoughts. Just shoot me now. This thread won't end well. [ 332 Answers ]

Okay, I do have thoughts on gun control, and I promised to start a thread where we could discuss guns, and peoples thoughts on guns. But I didn't start the thread about the Connecticut massacre to discuss gun control. That was about the families and their loss. So, to keep that Connecticut...

Gun control by fiat? [ 17 Answers ]

Who needs a congress? King Obama is reportedly working on gun control "under the radar" by way of executive order or regulatory means. WaPo did a story on White House gun control czar Steve Crowley which had this little tidbit that just almost escaped notice. I'm sure that is "under the...

Gun Control [ 29 Answers ]

Hello: The killer we've been talking about was subdued AFTER he emptied his magazine and before he could insert another. He was using 30 round clips. THOSE clips were illegal under the Assault Weapons Ban that EXPIRED under Bush and was not reinstated. If it HAD been reinstated, the killer...

Gun control and socialized medicine in Europe [ 1 Answers ]

Are any countries in Europe that do not have either gun control laws or socialized medicine? I know they're very "europe-y" things to do, but I don't know if the EU requires them, or if a bunch of countries just decided to institute them. (I know the exact polices vary a bit, so I'm guessing it's...

View more questions Search