Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2013, 05:44 AM
    Personally I consider Polygamists gluttens for punishment. One spouse is enough to deal with... particularly since women living together tend to have their periods sync with each other eventually... can you imagine 4 wife's PMS'ing every month in unison? That would be magnitudes worse than having three daughters and your wife on the rag.

That alone is enough to keep the average educated male from wanting to have multiple wives. Legal or not.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2013, 05:45 AM
    Polygamy is accepted by those people based on religious grounds - they are using the same arguments as you.
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2013, 05:46 AM
    can you imagine 4 wife's PMS'ing every month
    Most women do not have PMS.
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2013, 05:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    And thank god for that... but plenty enough do.

Edit... I mean BAD PMS... noit minor irritability.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 5, 2013, 05:54 AM
    So it comes down to some people have a right to their religious beliefs and some don't.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2013, 06:07 AM
    It's quite common, that's a no-brainer.

How common is PMS?

There’s a wide range of estimates of how many women suffer from PMS. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists estimates that at least 85 percent of menstruating women have at least 1 PMS symptom as part of their monthly cycle.
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2013, 06:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    So it comes down to some people have a right to their religious beliefs and some don't.
    Are you making a religious argument for polygamy?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2013, 06:10 AM
    Hello again, smoothy:
    If you can't legally define marriage.. you can't legally deny that from happening.
    I CAN define marriage. It's a CONTRACT. You can't enter into a contract with a child, your TV, or your horse.

Excon
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2013, 06:12 AM
    Hello again, righty's:

Look. I'm not gay. I'm not Mormon. I'm not married. So, I'm not INTO plural marriage. I'd be HAPPY to be against it. Give me a reason why I should be.

excon
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2013, 06:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, smoothy:
    I CAN define marriage. It's a CONTRACT. You can't enter into a contract with a child, your TV, or your horse.

excon
    Marriage is not a contract... marriage was invented and defined by the Church thousands of years before contracts existed or most civilizations.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 5, 2013, 06:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    No I am making an argument for hollering about your rights while denying others their rights.

You make so much of your religious principles, and being "made" to go against them, yet to anyone else you have no problem squashing theirs. That's my argument, and always has been, and that's forcing yourself into the lives of others to bend them to your religious beliefs.
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2013, 06:22 AM
    marriage was invented and defined by the Church
    Absolutely false.
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2013, 06:39 AM
    Hello again, Steve:
    I am. Look. I don't know WHY Mormons do that. I don't know WHY they want to do that. But, if their religion calls for it, and it doesn't HURT anybody, then I believe the Constitution allows them to practice their religion as they see fit WITHOUT government interference.

Tal raises a good point.. You are the one who CLAIMS religious liberty on the issues YOU care about.. Does your claim for religious liberty run across the board?

Excon
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2013, 06:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    No I am making an argument for hollering about your rights while denying others their rights.

You make so much of your religious principles, and being "made" to go against them, yet to anyone else you have no problem squashing theirs. That's my argument, and always has been, and that's forcing yourself into the lives of others to bend them to your religious beliefs.
    And there you go again with that straw man of us forcing our beliefs on others while denying their rights nonsense. Everything is not a right and marriage as defined by centuries is a standard. Do you have standards or is it anything goes?
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2013, 06:50 AM
    Absolutely false.
    Care to prove that then... as its clearly in the Torrah and Bible... not to mention the Koran and many other very old religious texts... and predates ANY existing laws or legal codes.
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2013, 06:54 AM
    Hello again, Steve:
    I am. Look. I dunno WHY Mormons do that. I dunno WHY they wanna do that. But, if their religion calls for it, and it doesn't HURT anybody, then I believe the Constitution allows them to practice their religion as they see fit WITHOUT government interference.

Tal raises a good point.. You are the one who CLAIMS religious liberty on the issues YOU care about.. Does your claim for religious liberty run across the board?

excon
    That's the same false argument Tal uses all right and you've always had it backwards. The contraception mandate is a government imposed violation of a reasonable religious belief. You guys have this asinine view (which would never stand up to any legal scrutiny) that us not buying birth control for someone else is forcing our beliefs on others. Hogwash, no one is preventing anyone from accessing birth control - which I'll remind you the use of was already virtually universal by the government's own report. I mean really, the idea that free birth control is a right is about the stupidest thing I've ever heard, right behind the notion that my not buying it for you is me imposing my beliefs on you.

I've never claimed an absolute right to religious liberty, if that were the standard then there's nothing in the way of Sharia law and you can let the stonings and public beheadings begin.
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2013, 07:02 AM
    Hello again, Steve:

So, you're for religious liberty for Christians.. That ain't how the First Amendment reads...

excon
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2013, 07:14 AM
    Hello again, Steve:

So, you're for religious liberty for Christians.. That ain't how the First Amendment reads...

excon
    How about addressing my actual argument and not the ones you make up?
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2013, 07:37 AM
    The Old Testiment and the Torrah significantly predate that.

This link is returning an error from their server right now so I can't make any comments on it.

This is a purely and completely biased blog with no credibility

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toyota Scandal [ 6 Answers ]

What kind of services or training do you think Toyota should give to the customers to gain back its reputation after the scandal occurred?

The real mortgage scandal [ 14 Answers ]

I read something on this a while back and finally found another column on it thanks to Sweetness & Light... And so what are the contenders' solutions to this crisis, brought on in the name of fairness, equality and other warm and fuzzy nonsense? Hillary wants a moratorium on...

Whoops, *another* Republican caught in sex scandal [ 6 Answers ]

Wash. legislator resigns over gay sex scandal | KTVB.COM | Regional News | Boise, Idaho News, Weather, Sports & Traffic This is happening with alarming regularity.

Protein bar scandal? [ 1 Answers ]

I have heard some talk about protein bars and how more than half of them LIE about the suppliment facts of their bar such as amount of fat, sat fat and other facts. Does anyone know any "trustworthy" protein bars out there that can assure me I am getting what I think I bought?

View more questions Search