Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 11, 2012, 06:41 AM
    Okay explain why early voting hours were cut and no ID was required for the primaries. If fraud was the issue then and integrity of the vote was the goal, why cut the hours? That affects urban big cities a lot more than rural low population areas.

And you have never answered the question of why throw legal voters under the bus to get a few suspected illegals? Looks fishy to me in the name of integrity. Like I say sure seems like you guys are politically motivated and that's not much integrity, rigging the system.

The southern strategy Jim Crow on steroids doesn't sound so thought out or fair to me! But maybe fair was never a consideration, but the lie that makes it seem legit.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2012, 06:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    There has to be a better process than the ones you guys are using that makes a hardship for those that are legal voters. Then you may get more support.
    There is no hardship, that's just a lame, lame argument. People are not as helpless as Dems want us to believe and quite frankly, I'd be offended at them portraying me as a helpless fool. Even so, what's your better process?
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2012, 06:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Look, I'm all for a guy who slips and slides around the law. I just don't think he should be president...

But, on to the thread at hand... I think all of the states voter suppression efforts will be heard in total by the Supreme Court and be ruled on BEFORE the election.. I think they'll be overturned, but the damage is already done.

excon
    Brother, your guy doesn't slip and slide around the law, he just decrees it so. He don't need no stinkin' law.

And as we keep pointing out, SCOTUS has already upheld voter ID laws with a lefty on the court saying they were necessary.
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2012, 06:47 AM
    Okay explain why early voting hours were cut and no ID was required for the primaries. If fraud was the issue then and integrity of the vote was the goal, why cut the hours? That affects urban big cities a lot more than rural low population areas.

And you have never answered the question of why throw legal voters under the bus to get a few suspected illegals? Looks fishy to me in the name of integrity. Like I say sure seems like you guys are politically motivated and thats not much integrity, rigging the system.

The southern strategy Jim Crow on steroids doesn't sound so thought out or fair to me! But maybe fair was never a consideration, but the lie that makes it seem legit.
    If the law is applied equally what is the problem? They didn't provide early voting hours for whites but not blacks did they? Are you still saying blacks are too dumb to realize there's an election coming up? Their guy has been campaigning for 6 years, when are they going to figure it out?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2012, 06:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    Even so, what's your better process?
    Hello again, Steve:

It depends on whether you believe it's in the STATES interest to see that EVERY eligible voter in the state GETS the opportunity to vote, or whether you think it's FINE for the state to throw down roadblocks, and then leave it up to the PEOPLE to overcome them...

I suppose it boils down to whether you think voting is a RIGHT or a privilege.. Me?? I think it's a right.. You? I'll bet not.

Personally, I think it's FINE that people are required to show ID's to vote.. But, when the process of getting them has the effect of VOTER SUPPRESSION, as this does, then I'm NOT OK with it...

Let's just take STUDENTS.. They don't KNOW that their OLD Id's won't work.. Nobody TOLD them. The state SHOULD have made SURE that students KNOW about the new requirements, and the state should make EVERY effort to INSURE that every possible student KNOWS what they need to do to vote...

The state didn't DO any of that... It doesn't supply them for free.. It didn't inform the communities MOST effected by the law... It did NOTHING except throw down the roadblocks and look the other way...

That's voter suppression - plain and simple..

excon
    Expert

Sep 11, 2012, 06:59 AM
    So a county of urban millions has the same hours as a county of a thousand is equal??

Are you still saying blacks are too dumb to realize there's an election coming up?
    Are you saying the white republicans are honest?
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2012, 07:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, Steve:

It depends on whether you believe it's in the STATES interest to see that EVERY eligible voter in the state GETS the opportunity to vote, or whether you think it's FINE for the state to throw down roadblocks, and then leave it up to the PEOPLE to overcome them...
    Come on buddy, why would you think I wouldn't want every eligible voter to have the opportunity to vote? You apparently think voting is the only right that comes at a cost. The second amendment guarantees my right to bear arms but I'm sure you're OK with putting up roadblocks like registration, background checks, permits and such, no?

The first amendment guarantees my right to free speech so why should I have to endure roadblocks such as being forced to go to a "free speech zone."

I have the right to petition the government, so who's going to eliminate roadblocks for me like paying my phone bill, internet service, buying me a PC or stamps and envelopes?

Our rights come at a cost, voting is no different.
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2012, 08:06 AM
    So a county of urban millions has the same hours as a county of a thousand is equal??
    OK, so which county has "urban millions?"

You do know that Holder accepted a new plan in Florida don't you? Even the court that said no was open to returning to the 96 hours of early voting with revisions. If you can't get to where you need to in 8 days you're not in this country or hiking in the Alaskan wilderness somewhere.

Are you saying the white republicans are honest?
    No worse than anyone else.
    Expert

Sep 11, 2012, 10:11 AM
    See if you can see a pattern in swing states with republican govenors, and legislatures.

List of counties in Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of counties in Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of counties in Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Still awaiting data between voting machines per county, and polling places. Can't believe you cannot see the difference between a county with major urban areas, and rural very small towns.

The district Paul Ryan was elected in has NO major cities in it. How long does it take you to vote in Amarillo?
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2012, 11:37 AM
    No, it was just a brain fart, having "rural" on the brain. See, I can admit when I'm a moron.

The question is how difficult is it to vote in those five Florida counties? Seems pretty easy to vote absentee so what's the problem?

P.S. Still waiting on your better process...
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Sep 11, 2012, 02:27 PM
    No, it was just a brain fart, having "rural" on the brain. See, I can admit when I'm a moron.

The question is how difficult is it to vote in those five Florida counties? Seems pretty easy to vote absentee so what's the problem?

I think a better approach to federal elections is a top down approach rather than a bottom up approach. In other words, the federal government oversees and runs federal elections rather than leaving it up to the states.

As I said before, I think you will always have an equal access problem when it comes to federal elections unless you extend the role of the Federal Election Commission.

Tut
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2012, 03:18 PM
    Tut
    That interferes with their "States" rights to influence the election. They just haven't got the concept of federal, one nation, as opposed to a collection of states and it goes even deeper than that to a local government level
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2012, 05:23 PM
    Governments don't have rights ;they have powers .The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite (Madison Federalist 45) .
    Expert

Sep 11, 2012, 08:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    governments don't have rights ;they have powers .The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite (Madison Federalist 45) .
    The federalist papers are not laws but opinions, an argument for his way of thinking. Madisons opinion is his own. While the states have a lot of power to affect their own citizens, the feds still have to make sure the states stay within constitutional boundaries, or they can go to court. Given the history of the states and the federal remedies for past offenses to its own people, I can go with the courts. That's all we got in the grand scheme of things.

Which state? Some are already addressing the issues through the courts, and some the citizens are taking an active role.

If I were a govenor though, I would have every library and state building along with every school as a place for people to go to have their issues addressed. Community centers and grocery stores. Its an abomination to have people traveling miles for registration and incurring time and costs to vote.

That's the duty and responsibility of the state to ensure the rights of its citizens is preserved. It's a simple process to do the right thing if indeed that's your intent!
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2012, 09:32 PM
    How Tom loves to play with symantics, no rights but powers. People have rights and according to some so do corporations. US is not a democracy but a republic and incidentally a federal republic held captive by states powers. By the way Tom this play on words is interesting when it gets to my nation which is not a democracy either but a commonwealth
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2012, 04:01 AM
    Correct people have rights... governments only have powers... but the progressives don't seem to get that... the Dems here put out an add that said that the government is the only thing we all BELONG to .
    DNC Video: "The Government Is The Only Thing We All Belong To" - YouTube
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2012, 04:07 AM
    The federalist papers are not laws but opinions, an argument for his way of thinking. Madisons opinion is his own.
    The Federalist papers explained to the people the thinking of the founders about the Constitution .They are the single best source to find out what the Founders were thinking , clause by clause ,when the wrote the Constitution . What Madison said about the power of the government is not just his own ;it was the majority opinion of the founders and was a central thought of the enlightenment . What he mentioned about the powers granted to the Federal Government and the states is an opinion shared by every signer .
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2012, 04:21 AM
    Ok Tom stop saluting the flag which represents the federal government
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2012, 04:45 AM
    If you look at the flag it is dominated by the States .The stripes are the 13 original States ,and the stars the 50 current States .
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2012, 06:34 AM
    Which state? Some are already addressing the issues through the courts, and some the citizens are taking an active role.
    Which state doesn't provide absentee ballots and early voting?

If I were a govenor though, I would have every library and state building along with every school as a place for people to go to have their issues addressed. Community centers and grocery stores. Its an abomination to have people traveling miles for registration and incurring time and costs to vote.
    We have 53 public schools in Amarillo, do you know what it would cost to make each one a polling place? As I said before our rights come at a cost, there is no abomination in having to drive down the street, pick up the phone or mail a ballot to vote. Seriously, Tal that's over the top.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Just your regular voter. [ 10 Answers ]

Hello: I'm a wonk. I live, eat and breathe politics. You guys do too. I heard a statistic on the news today that 1 in 3 voters have YET to make up their minds. Wow. If they haven't made up their minds by now, what is the game changer going to be? Will it be a TV commercial? A personal...

Name Influence In voter ballots? [ 7 Answers ]

Do names influence voters? Would people in the United States feel comfortable with a president called Obama? Isn't the name too close to the possible mispronounciation of "Obey me?" How much do you feel that names influence the presidential election choices here in the USA?

Noise suppression. [ 2 Answers ]

What will be the best approach to be implemented in suppressing noise in a room with different engines located?:cool: :cool: :cool:

Period suppression for PMS? [ 5 Answers ]

Has anyone on the board tried period suppression (taking birth control all the time with no 7 day break) for PMS? I've been on the pill for a while now, but in spite of that I have really wicked PMS and periods... bloating, cold sores, soreness, allergy symptoms, cravings, headaches and insomnia...

View more questions Search