Ask
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Mar 25, 2007, 08:10 AM
    Morganite-- welcome back and hope you had a pleasant break. Savage
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Mar 26, 2007, 11:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSavage
    Morganite-- welcome back and hope you had a pleasant break. Savage
    Thank you. Sadly, the break was a family bereavement. It is good to be back an dbouncing!

:)

Mar 26, 2007, 11:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Saby2284
    If you Dont Believe in Eternal Torture Then you Dont Believe in Hell. There are 150 Verses in the bible that Talks about Hell. And Most Of the Verses say that hell is Eternal Torture. God Didnt Make Hell For Us He Made it for The devil and his Demons. But What Adam and Eve Did We are Sinners. Thats Why Jesus Died on the Cross for Our Sins. Sorry I may Be a little Late on Answering your Question.. But If you Need any Other Questions About Christianty Iam Here.. :O)
    The King James' Bible has a mere 54 verses that mention "hell." Which version do you use? It is not true that torture and hell are metioned in their majority. You seem to have fallen victim to an accounting scam!

The final mention of hell should encourage us: death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

If that is true, then Hell itself will be burned in Hell. How fancy is that?

Do you want to count them again?

Be happy

M:)
    Retrotia Posts: 163, Reputation: 19
    -

Mar 26, 2007, 06:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganite

The final mention of hell should encourage us: death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

If that is true, then Hell itself will be burned in Hell. How fancy is that?

Do you want to count them again?

Be happy

M:)
    So this must mean that hell comes to an end for people that are dead( without the Lord?)
    So the punishment is in hell but at the Lake of Fire, at judgment time, hell & death are destroyed completely?
    So, hell, would you describe it as is written in Luke 16:19-31(The Rich Man and Lazarus)?

Mar 27, 2007, 01:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Retrotia
    So this must mean that hell comes to an end for people that are dead( without the Lord?)
    So the punishment is in hell but at the Lake of Fire, at judgment time, hell & death are destroyed completely?
    So, hell, would you describe it as is written in Luke 16:19-31(The Rich Man and Lazarus)?

It all depends on what you mean by hell. The word is used in the Bible in several ways, not all of which have the same meaning. It seems to be a generic term rather than a specific term for one place, condition, and, possibly (think of King David!) duration. Where the Bible is unclear it is often difficult, impossible, and unsafe to try to cobble together one sensible syetem or understanding of what it means. At those points the best a believer can do is to admit that they do not know or are not sure and leave it to God. It is conceited to believe that we know what God is (must be) thinking, especially in those cases where the word is obscure or diverges from other references to the same place or event, past or future.

Mar 27, 2007, 01:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    How about if I don't believe in God, but i believe that if there is a god, he will forgive me?
    I'd say that you were close to the mark. Jesus said, "By their fruits you will know them."
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2007, 01:55 PM
    To respond to the original question - Here is what I believe
    I believe Heaven is like a place that is so wonderful that you can't even imagine, so then Hell is the worst thing you could ever imagine.
    I think God wants all of his Children in Heaven, But in the Bible, doesn't it say somewhere - "if you forsake me, then I will forsake you." ?
    If you never accept Christ into your heart - then when you die, you will go to hell.

Mar 27, 2007, 08:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NowWhat
    To respond to the original question - Here is what I believe
    I believe Heaven is like a place that is so wonderful that you can't even imagine, so then Hell is the worst thing you could ever imagine.
    I think God wants all of his Children in Heaven, But in the Bible, doesn't it say somewhere - "if you forsake me, then I will forsake you." ?
    If you never accept Christ into your heart - then when you die, you will go to hell.
    This might be what you have in mind:

Deuteronomy 31.16 - And the LORD said unto Moses, Behold, thou shalt sleep with thy fathers; and this people will rise up, and go a whoring after the gods of the strangers of the land, whither they go [to be] among them, and will forsake me, and break my covenant which I have made with them.

Deuteronomy 31:17
    17 Then my anger shall be kindled against them in that day, and I will forsake them, and I will hide my face from them, and they shall be devoured, and many evils and troubles shall befall them; so that they will say in that day, Are not these evils come upon us, because our God [is] not among us?

Deuteronomy 31:18
    18 And I will surely hide my face in that day for all the evils which they shall have wrought, in that they are turned unto other gods.

The above refers to those who are already in the covenant with God. It does not speak of those outside that covenenant. That has to raise the question of whether God will judge those who have not known Jesus through no fault of their own. Could he do that and still be loving, just, and merciful? Is it really his character to condemn without the opportunity to repent as he might do those who have accepted Christ, and then turned back or fallen away?

There is a school of thought within Christianity that believe that a person's eternal destination is settled at death, and it is either heaven or hell. But consider for one moment what that would mean. If that were so, what would be the purpose of Jesus visiting the spirits in prison during the three days between his death and resurrection?

Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison; Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ: Who is gone into heaven, and is on the right hand of God; angels and authorities and powers being made subject unto him."
    —1 Peter 3:18-22.

What would be the need of the Day of Judgement if a man's destiny was fixed at his expiration date?

The disobedient who had lived on earth in the Noachian period are especially mentioned as beneficiaries of the Lord's ministry in the spirit world. They had been guilty of gross offenses, and had wantonly rejected the teachings and admonitions of Noah, the earthly minister of Jehovah. For their flagrant sin they had been destroyed in the flesh, and their spirits had endured in a condition of imprisonment, without hope, from the time of their death to the advent of Christ, who came as a Spirit amongst them.

We must not assume from Peter's mention of the disobedient antediluvians that only they were included in the wonderful opportunities offered through Christ's ministry in the spirit realm. To the contrary, we must conclude from reason and divine consistency that all whose wickedness in the flesh had brought their spirits to the prison house shared in the offer of expiation, repentance, and release. Divine justice and the love andmercy of a tender of our loving Father in Heaven demand that the gospel be preached as widely among the dead as it had been among the living. Consider the affirmation of Peter to the members of the Primitive Christian Church:

"Who Shall give account to him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead. For this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the Spirit."

Copnsider the case of a young and moral girl, who dies without accepting Christ as her Savior, and contrast her life with that of an old man of eighty years who dies in his sins. Would anyone dare assert that a just and holy God is going to punish those two alike? And yet it is the case that many look upon hell as a place where all suffer alike, and heaven an ethereal, uncertain abode, where all enjoy like blessings. How plain and simple are the words of the apostle Paul, "Every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labor." (I Cor. 4: 8.) God rewards according to our faithfulness to all opportunities. He does not require a quart from a pint vessel.

The words of Paul must not be taken to mean that we obtain salvation by our works. Yet he, and others, give place to works in God's grand scheme. John, for example, provides this view:

Revelation 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is [the book] of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

Revelation 20:13
    13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

Medieval artists and churchmen were, perhaps, a little hasty to paint the terrors of Hell as awaiting all those who did not come to Christ in this life. Will you beat your child senseless (deliver him into Hell) for not coming to dinner after you called him, if it can be proven that he did not hear you? Is Almighty God less just that you?

Clearly, if you do not accept Christ into your heart before you die you will not be sent to Hell. Who says? None other than our Lord Jesus Christ who was sent into the world by God to save it, not to be the instrument of its destruction:

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, the hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God; and they that hear shall live."

Those unto whom the Savior was speaking failed to understand his words, so he removed all doubt as to his meaning by saying:

Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in their graves shall hear his voice, and shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation. John 5:28-29.

Who will doubt that Christ means what he says?

M:)RGANITE

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Brain damage from chokes [ 12 Answers ]

Me and my friend was playing around in school, practicing jujitsu, a form of ground submission where chokes and joint locks are used until someone taps. I been choked many times however, I taped when I felt that I'm going to pass out and had never been put unconscious. I have seen from some...

Sinus Infection in the Brain [ 9 Answers ]

My mom was in the hospital about a year ago, with a Sinus Infection that reached her brain. She was there for a week, and they gave her two weeks worth of antibiotics, and told her to go see her neurologist. Problem is, that 2 years ago, she lost her job after being there for 12 years(corporate...

The Hard Drive vs. The Brain [ 8 Answers ]

Just interested in some thoughts here. I am sure that most of us are aware of the way we refer to the amount of information that a hard drive can store. Bytes Of course, it is the Gigabyte we use most frequently now days. It is not uncommon to find a computer that has a capacity of 200 to...

Brain storming [ 1 Answers ]

How can I narrow a topic to asingle spoke or sub-header of a spoke on the map?

Algebra Help Please-Racking the Brain! [ 2 Answers ]

:( If anyone knows how to set this up and explain to me I would be so grateful. 2/3(y-3) = 1/3y I know to remove the parenthesis, I multiply 2/3 x 3 (which is 2) so: 2/3y - 2 = 1/3y Now I know I must combine the y's and change the sign to positive AND THAT IS WHERE I GET STUCK

View more questions Search