Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2010, 11:20 AM

I'll see you Glen Beck and raise Ed Schultz .
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2010, 06:48 AM
    Here's an example of the ADA run amok, according to the feds, the Amazon Kindle violates civil rights.

Did you know the Justice Department threatened several universities with legal action because they took part in an experimental program to allow students to use the Amazon Kindle for textbooks?

Last year, the schools -- among them Princeton, Arizona State and Case Western Reserve -- wanted to know if e-book readers would be more convenient and less costly than traditional textbooks. The environmentally conscious educators also wanted to reduce the huge amount of paper students use to print files from their laptops.

It seemed like a promising idea until the universities got a letter from the Justice Department's Civil Rights Division, now under an aggressive new chief, Thomas Perez, telling them they were under investigation for possible violations of the Americans With Disabilities Act.
    The most interesting response?

It's an approach that bothers some civil rights experts. "As a blind person, I would never want to be associated with any movement that punished sighted students, particularly for nothing they had ever done," says Russell Redenbaugh, a California investor who lost his sight in a childhood accident and later served for 15 years on the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights. "It's a gross injustice to disadvantage one group, and it's bad policy that breeds resentment, not compassion."
    Leave it to the government to say if everyone can't play then nobody can. Isn't there some green czar somewhere that should be throwing a fit over all those trees that didn't have to die?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2010, 11:42 AM

Ok, what I don't get is the fact that all employers had to modify their premises to allow handicapped workers access to the buildings, rest rooms, etc. But what I find ironic is that more and more "handicapped" people are receiving disability benefits and chosing to stay home and not work.

I find that the ADA law is a complete farce when it comes to those people. Oh yes, if they do decide to go visit their relative who does have a job then they can happily use the rest room.

It is only the few and far between workers who actually need the modified bathrooms and extra wide doors. But what are we the people supposed to do when it comes to an employee who's say 500 lbs and can't get through the already widened doorway to go to work? Make the doorway larger? Won't have to as they are at home collecting SSD.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2010, 11:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    But what are we the people supposed to do when it comes to an employee who's say 500 lbs and can't get thru the already widened doorway to go to work?
    The obese worker is like that by choice, not the handicapped person.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 5, 2010, 12:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    It is only the few and far between workers who actually need the modified bathrooms and extra wide doors.
    Please visit your local public library and ask how many people with strollers, wheelchairs, and walkers, and even with canes use the handicap ramp and the oversize elevator and the handicap sections of the bathrooms every day. Every library around me has installed either motion-sensitive doors or handicap-push-panel doors. Both fat and skinny people use the ramp and the elevator and the other handicap amenities too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do Americans today still need labor unions? [ 9 Answers ]

As simple as the title is... do Americans today still need labor unions?

Girlfriend of 3 years drops horrible bomb today - how do I handle it [ 8 Answers ]

We have been together for 3 years and have had a GREAT relationship. Both divorced with 2 boys and her ex lives about 6 hours away, but they always seem to work put making sure he gets his time even though he left her for another woman when her youngest was ONE month old and moved away. Needless...

Hippa Violation and American Disabilities Act ? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently had a heart attack. I was on medical leave for two months. I had to wear the Life Vest portable defiliator . I was cleared by two doctors to return to work on April 3rd. My supervisor held up my return arguing I was an at will employee. I appealed to the agency who sided with me. I was...

American with Disabilities Act [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone have experience in the Americans with Disabilities Act that can provide me some guidance? Here is a short synopsis of the problem: We are a small business, employing approximately 35 people. We have a young woman who has worked for us for almost 3 years. She is in a wheelchair and...

Disabilities act [ 2 Answers ]

The Americans with Disabilities Act of ____ requires businesses to provide equal access to individuals with disabilities including Web content and services. a.1990 b.1999 c.2002 d.2004 I have already tried Google search and could not find the answer.

View more questions Search