Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 25, 2010, 05:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaB4657 View Post
    As for the validity of the uncle's claim for transfer of title, that was a verbal agreement. Won't the uncle face a Statute of Frauds problem?
    That was my first thought. I looked into it.

In Illinois (I believe is Agmor's state), partial performance takes the agreement out of the Statute of Frauds. Presumably paying the property tax constitutes partial performance.

Hmm. I thought I saw IL in this thread somewhere yesterday. Anyway that's the rule in many places.
    agmor Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2010, 06:10 AM

Thank you everyone for the information. At this point, I will consult an attorney and trust that the Judge will rule in our favor. I pray that my father's wishes be honored. My father had no intention of leaving or giving the property his brother. We had many conversations about that. I just wish he would have taken my advise and made out a will. I know the truth and I know that the Judge will rule with the evidence. Thanks again everyone.

AGM
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Feb 25, 2010, 06:13 AM
    Well, Agmor, you have two attorneys just in this thread who disagree about the outcome based on the information you've provided here. If you want to keep this property then I strongly recommend that you retain an attorney. Good luck!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 25, 2010, 06:40 AM

Agmor:

1. What state did your father live in? And is it the same state where this property is located?
    2. What relatives did your father leave behind? Besides you, are there other children and/or grandchildren? Other uncles/aunts besides the one who is living on the property? This is important since your father died without a will, and so his property passes by state law to his heirs as determined using rules set by the state.

Also - is there a reason why you (and the other heirs) didn't have the property deed transferred to your name(s), instad of leaving your father's name on it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I go to jail for keeping my deceased fathers money from his bank account? [ 1 Answers ]

My father passed away 4 months ago.. we have not gone to probate and I filed a probate 1300 form at his bank to obtain the money in his account. Our attorney said we will not go to probate and everything is to be divided equally. I am pretty much in charge. Can I go to jail for keeping the money in...

Making A Claim against recently deceased fathers' estate [ 1 Answers ]

I am one of three sisters whose father left us in 1960, and he remarried in the 1970's. He was only in contact with our eldest sister, until dementia made it impossible for her to continue contact. We were told that he had died on 17 August this year, and that he had been cremated with no funeral...

Is my child elligible for deceased fathers social security? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello everyone.I have a question that so far I have been given many conflicting answers to.A little background information,my sons father passed away,he wasn't listed as father on the birth certificate and we never had a paternity test done.I don't believe he would qualify to get survivors social...

I am unable to pay my deceased fathers bills [ 9 Answers ]

Before my father passed away he left his house to me and all of the furnishing.The house is not paid for( two mortages on it, one for 50,000 and one for 10,000). I want to keep our home which we have had for over 30 years but because of my limited income I am unable to pay off my father's...

View more questions Search