Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    prttynpnk1105 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2009, 04:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniepepsi View Post
    it may be his mother is perfectly aware of this. and his school may be aware of it. he may already be in speach class.

i have to say its not really your place to judge his development. your job is to care for him. if you are truely concerned, speak to his mother about it. my daughter is 5 and speaks like this, and she will be starting speech class in school next month.

im gonna say again, just because he is behind a bit, does NOT mean there is something 'wrong' with him, or his education.
    I think that everybody that has a family member that they believe is lagging back would want to do more than just care for them... naturally they would want to help them and be concerned with anything that seems like they are struggling with. A child that is turning 7 in October and that does some strange things makes me worry and want to get him more help.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2009, 04:16 PM

I understand completely hon, and I really and truly honestly did not mean any disrepsect. I know you are worried. *hugs* but I think your best bet would be to bring your concern to his mother. Really the only thing we can do here is give you advise on how to help him, and to talk to his mother.

*hugs*
    prttynpnk1105 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2009, 04:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    "I no"???????? And YOU are complaining about HIM?

Then you speak in complete sentences and don't skip words. Mentor him. Read to him a lot so he hears good English. Tell made-up stories to each other and sing songs.
    Ok bite my head off for making a typing error... & yes I AM complaining about HIM... & I already do talk in complete sentences & I do not skip words when I speak... & also I try to correct his speech whenever I am around... but I do apreciate your advice about telling stories and singing songs... I never thought about trying that but I will...
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 25, 2009, 04:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by prttynpnk1105 View Post
    Ok bite my head off for making a typing error...& yes I AM complaining about HIM...& I already do talk in complete sentences & I do not skip words when I speak....& also I try to correct his speech whenever I am around.....but I do apreciate your advice about telling stories and singing songs....I never thought about trying that but I will....
    That was texting, not a typing error.

Please don't correct his speech. If anything, restate what he said, but correctly.

HE: Me gots a bike.
    YOU: I have a bike too. What color is yours?

When I used to babysit, I would start a story like this, and get the child to help me tell the story:

Once upon a time there was a six-year-old boy named... ummmmmmmm... what could his name be? (The child will very likely suggest his own name.)

[Child's name] decided to go into his room to play with something. Hmmmm, I wonder what was the first thing he decided to play with? (Child will name a toy.)

What did [child's name] do next?

etc.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 25, 2009, 05:10 PM

Had to spread the rep WG. That's what I do with my kids, especially my son.

He's been in speech therapy since he was 4 and he has ADHD.

When he was 4 he had a hamster. One night it escaped and ran into his closet. He caught it, put it in his halloween basket and brought it upstairs. It was 4am. He woke me up, standing their smiling with his basket in his hand. Of course we had a good laugh about it.

The next day he wanted to write a book about the adventures of Fluffy (his hammy) so we sat down together and wrote it, his words, his pictures, I just helped write everything down.

He's 10 year old now and he still loves that little book. It's the first thing that interested him enough to want to read.

Now he's reading like a pro. I'm shocked. Last year he was at a kindergarten reading level, he was in grade 4. At the end of this year he's at a grade 5 reading level and entering grade 5.

If you make learning fun, it works. If you put him down, constantly correct him, he'll learn to keep his mouth shut to prevent you from correcting him.

Fun is the key. :)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 25, 2009, 05:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Had to spread the rep WG.
    I have to spread the rep too, Alty. Kids love to write books. They also like to play games -- but first let the child make the game with you. Buy plain 3x5 index cards and a package of stickers of animals or objects or hats or dinosaurs or whatever. Stick one sticker on each card so that you end up with pairs -- two horses, two cats, two dogs, two turtles, two birds. (Of course have the child help you stick the stickers on the cards.) Then play "Concentration." Lay out the cards, picture face down, blank side up, all mixed up, and take turns to find pairs. You get two turns at a time. If no match, turn the cards face down again and remember what was where. Whoever ends up with the most pairs wins.

In the same way, make flash cards to memorize dinosaur names, cat breeds, dog breeds, times tables, whatever -- picture/graphic on one side of the card and printed word (answer) on the other side. I even did this for myself in grad school to memorize stuff in the psych program.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 25, 2009, 05:43 PM

I do that too Wondergirl. We call the game "memory" and I have the one that I grew up with. The kids love it.

I also have a box full of puzzles that are meant to learn english, my parents bought it when they decided to move to Canada.

You take the puzzle apart and then find the word that matches the picture. It's actually not easy, the puzzles are not for small kids, but with help my kids can do them and that helped a lot when Jared was having trouble reading and remembering words.

There are so many things you can buy or make that are fun. Walmart has cheap books with puzzles etc. meant to teach a child. There are books for every age group.

I also like the leapster. It's a hand held game and all the games you buy are educational. There's math, reading, memorization, you name it. It's not cheap but great fun, especially when you're going on a trip. The kids are entertained and learning at the same time. Win, win. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Art for one year olds [ 4 Answers ]

I need some art ideas for one year olds

Jobs for 13 year olds [ 5 Answers ]

Hi there, I have just turned 13 and I would love a job; however I am not interested in getting a paper route. HELP! Thank you very much Chessca xxx :)

My 4 year olds temper [ 2 Answers ]

My 4 year old son is a bully. He is out of control. He has a horrific temper that I am having a hard time dealing with. He ruins anything he can get his hands on and he LOVES to beat up on my other kids... and my dog. We have tried everything that has been sugested... and nothing has worked... im...

10 year olds coming out as gay? [ 7 Answers ]

I recently got into a heated debate with a friend. A mutual friend of ours works at a summer camp for young children and apparently a few boys ranging from ages 10 and 11 have come out as being gay and 2 of them are even boyfriend and boyfriend, kissing and holding hands. She seems to think this is...

View more questions Search