Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sumpssuck Posts: 12, Reputation: 5

May 15, 2009, 02:29 PM

... also, I just wanted to say your wife is being a very smart shopper. Flank steak is a lot less expensive but as good as any meat there is. You guys are just having a preparation issue. Once you see it done right once, you'll realize it's easy to make a great steak out of it.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2009, 11:09 PM

Thanks sumpssuck

The only problem we had was the cutting. Have not had a problem since correcting that.

Chuck
    jimgrills Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2009, 05:46 PM

Bones was right you want to have some marbeling of fat in the steak to get the most flavor and ensure some tenderness. Also, the flank steak is traditionally used for london broils but it is full of tough connective tissue. To get past this that cut of meat is usually marinaded with an acid based marinade which usually contains vinegar or citrus. You can buy many acceptable marinades in your grocery store. Try not to overcook this cut of meat and afterwards let it rest on your cutting board for at least 5 minutes to keep the juices in the meat. Cutting the flank steak is key. You need to slice diagonally across the grain (think of the muscle fiber as a group of pipes wrapped together, cutting them across the pipes should give you a bunch of small pipe pieces) which will make the steak easier to chew. Best inexpensive buy for tender steak is the chuck eye steak. Try it sometime.
    simon wing Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2010, 06:29 AM
    I'm a bit lost, I'm a butcher of 30 years, and the skirt stk comes off the flank, yes cut against the grain for skirt stk only,so what is flank stk if its not skirt?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tough, Tough, Sport. Respect Is Due [ 2 Answers ]

This sport is very tough. I have always had much respect for triathletes. I would love to discuss the sport further with the athletes themselves.

Steak recipes? [ 9 Answers ]

We're planning on having steak for dinner tonight, but I am so tired of the normal marinade and grilling... I have tried to Google recipes and all I'm finding are these very long recipes or recipes for pepper steak. Anyone have an quick and easy steak recipes?

A Tough One [ 1 Answers ]

De-orbit maneuvers are usually done to lower the perigee of the orbit to 60 miles (or less). The Orbiter is captured and re-enters as it passes into the atmosphere at this altitude. There is a change of 1 mile for every 2 feet per second (fps) change in velocity when you are below a 500-mile...

Mushroom/Onion/Red Wine sauce for Steak, Etc. [ 4 Answers ]

Hello! Does anyone have a good recipe for a mushroom/onion/red wine sauce for steak? I've made a sauce with these ingredients before, but was just winging it. I also put garlic in it once. I know people might laugh that someone might ask for a recipe for something this simple, but I'm not...

Here's a tough one. [ 3 Answers ]

It's a long story, but here goes... The sister of a girl I was seeing awhile back just got in contact with me to let me know that her sister had just committed suicide last week. Along with that blow came another one... One month ago she had our child. I was dumbfounded to say the least. I...

View more questions Search