Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2007, 06:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    If God can be eternal, why can't anything else can be eternal?
    Because nothing else is God. Anything which is eternal is God. In Christianity we believe that there are three Divine Persons who are eternal and therefore God. But that is besides the point on this question.

This is the flaw in your argument.
    Nope. You haven't even addressed the argument. The argument is that nothing can come of nothing. In order for anything to exist, something had to be there from all eternity.

Sincerely,
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2007, 06:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by oneguyinohio
    To assume that a state of nothingness ever existed is faulty.
    Beautiful! Because if nothingness ever existed in the past, then nothing could be today.

Sincerely,
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2007, 07:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    Exactly! A similar comment I was formulating as reading this post.

We will all each find out the real story once we pass on to wherever, and certainly all will when the Sun runs out of fuel.

Not sure where the nothingness concept came from. Scientists theorize there was a small, albeit, powerful, speck of matter, that expanded to what we see today.
    It's the theory I've heard since I was a child:

You are here: Science >> Big Bang Theory

Big Bang Theory - The Premise
    The Big Bang theory is an effort to explain what happened at the very beginning of our universe. Discoveries in astronomy and physics have shown beyond a reasonable doubt that our universe did in fact have a beginning. Prior to that moment there was nothing; during and after that moment there was something: our universe. The big bang theory is an effort to explain what happened during and after that moment.....

Big Bang Theory

Seems to them the universe is expanding still, what with the observations and measurements that confirm this fact. However, please note that scientists still call it the Big Bang "Theory", as the facts they seek for the beginning are still unreachable, and possibly unfathomable.

Perhaps there is some sort of natural cycle, expanding and contracting energy and matter. Who really knows?

One observation is that scientists offer only theories, as the facts or proof are so impossible to produce. Why are the religious so sure of their concept?

No one really knows for sure.
    That all seems besides the point. The point is that science points to a time of nothingess. If that ever were true, nothingness would still be the case.

Sincerely,
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2007, 08:08 PM
    Nothing is what is coming from this entire thread, besides a lot of laughs, stupidity, and hot air.

Now at least there is a posted definition for "nothing"

State of having no substance... exactly this thread...
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2007, 08:29 PM
    Nothing is what is coming from this entire thread, besides a lot of laughs, stupidity, and hot air.

Exactly. Perhaps even a better definition of "nothing" is what is between the ears of the people who must relentlessly argue this garbage!
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2007, 05:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by De Maria
    And logically speaking, nothing from nothing is nothing.
    And mathematically speaking, zero minus zero equals zero.

These are good examples of a whole class of statements that are "true" in a mathematical and logical sense, but have no actual meaning or significance outside that context. They certainly have no bearing on the question of whether the universe had a beginning, what might have existed before that, or why it exists at all.
    The argument is that nothing can come of nothing.
    It's not an argument, it's an assertion which is devoid of meaning.
    It's "The Seinfeld Thread"!
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2007, 10:31 AM
    What time is it?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2007, 10:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by magprob
    What time is it?
    If you are at your computer then you can see the time at the bottom right of your screen.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Dec 20, 2007, 10:51 AM
    Actually--COULD nothing have ever existed?

Isn't everything either energy or mass?

Forgive me if I don't have the scientific information right, but that's what I thought.

So... if there was nothing before our universe (no mass, I mean) wouldn't that mean there had been energy?

So... let the Christians call energy "God". I certainly don't care.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2007, 10:56 AM
    That's my assertion synnen (although energy is certainly something and not nothing). But I'm not sure how many Christians would be happy with god being unintelligent and bound by the laws of physics, as energy is.
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2007, 12:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    That's my assertion synnen (although energy is certainly something and not nothing). But I'm not sure how many Christians would be happy with god being unintelligent and bound by the laws of physics, as energy is.

I am in the same belief boat with you, and trying to reason out if energy and matter are all tnere is, and people are a combination of energy and matter, is it the energy or the matter that enable the thought process? That thought process is what allows for an acknowledgement of some power. If both energy and matter are involved in thought, is thought then limited to the laws of physics as well?

The process certainly could be, where as the outcome not. Thus the God who is not bound by any laws is created through a process that is.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2007, 12:44 PM
    If we had nothing before anything then we should have nothing now.
    Hello De Maria:

Makes sense - if there was nothing. But we had something. It was called the singularity.

excon
    Wangdoodle Posts: 217, Reputation: 50

Dec 20, 2007, 02:44 PM
    I'm with you De Maria. God is not contained by matter. If there was ever a time when there was nothing, then something "out side" of matter had to create the mater that we have.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2007, 02:52 PM
    Matter and energy are interchangeable... Einstein's E=MC squared.

If there was always a god, then there was never a time when there was "NOTHING".
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2007, 03:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Skell
    Exactly. Perhaps even a better definition of "nothing" is what is between the ears of the people who must relentlessly argue this garbage!
    Sour grapes anyone?
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2007, 03:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello De Maria:

Makes sense - if there was nothing. But we had something. It was called the singularity.

excon
    That's not what these guys say:
    Big Bang Theory - The Premise
    The Big Bang theory is an effort to explain what happened at the very beginning of our universe. Discoveries in astronomy and physics have shown beyond a reasonable doubt that our universe did in fact have a beginning. Prior to that moment there was nothing; during and after that moment there was something: our universe. The big bang theory is an effort to explain what happened during and after that moment.....

Big Bang Theory

Sincerely,

De Maria
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2007, 04:05 PM
    Nothing is what is coming from this entire thread, besides a lot of laughs, stupidity, and hot air
    Nah. Just from one guy in Ohio.

Again, just the messages from one guy in Ohio.
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2007, 07:26 PM
    De Maria do you have the knowledge to respond appropriately to any of the posts I made other than the one where I asserted the stupidity and lack of substance related to any real debate related to the thoughts and opiniond of others, or is all your knowledge about nothing? I was intending no personal attacks toward anyone when I posted that comment, but rather felt that it was a comment on people making a lot of blind assertions, without addressing the points made by others.
    If you must single me out for your personal attacks, it would seem that you must disagree? Can you show me anywhere in the posts where my logic was addressed by anyone prior to my post which you seem to have taken aim at? Or is it the case that you choose to dismiss logical thought that does not fit into you schema? Surely you must agree with me in part, because it would seem that you would have gotten "a lot of laughs" out of your last post. If you are unable to debate logic, attack the presenter personally. It does little to support your assertions, but if it makes you feel better, I suppose that is what your God would have you do.
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2007, 07:55 PM
    De Maria do you have the knowledge to respond appropriately to any of the posts I made other than the one where I asserted the stupidity and lack of substance related to any real debate related to the thoughts and opiniond of others, or is all your knowledge about nothing?.
    Sorry. I took this as an insult:

I actually liked your first post on this thread (#6).

Sincerely,
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2007, 07:55 PM
    Nothing will give you piece of mind?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search