Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beatlejuice Posts: 63, Reputation: 2
    -

Oct 30, 2007, 01:27 PM
    Comment on silentrascal's post
    Christmas is not ridiculous. Its is a day for us to celebrate the birth of our saviour. It deosnt matter when the actual date was.
    silentrascal Posts: 194, Reputation: -2
    -

Oct 30, 2007, 01:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangdoodle
    We are told in Mathew that the wise men found the birth of Christ a cause for rejoicing. Was this wrong of them? Is it wrong to remember a great event and to rejoice and have joy because of it? You say this is ridiculous?

I see no reason to think that just because we don't know the exact date of His birth, then we are forbidden to have a day set a side for all to rejoice over the birth of our Lord.

Let me adjust my statement in a less harsh way... Christmas is simply... not a celebration that the Bible tells us needs to be celebrated. That's it. The Bible tells us that Christ's DEATH is to be celebrated. Why go beyond what the Bible tells us to do by creating a celebration around a birthday in which (1) the exact date for the birth is never mentioned, and (2) the only birthday celebrations mentioned by the Bible are cast in a very negative light, involving the murders of people, including God's prophet John the Baptizer?

That is the way that I view it. I view the Bible in that everything contained within it, and the manner in which things are written down, is done so for a reason. There is no reason not to give thought to what Jesus Christ did for us by laying down his perfect life on the stake; in fact as Christians we're to exercise faith in that sacrifice, and how could we if we're not reflecting on it every day? But his birth, while necessary, isn't why he was sent to this earth. It was his sacrificial death in which lies the importance for all of us.
    beatlejuice Posts: 63, Reputation: 2
    -

Oct 30, 2007, 01:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by silentrascal
    At that just illustrates the ridiculous ignorance people have about Jehovah's Witnesses. The ONLY celebration that the Bible commands Christians to observe....and I'll say it again, the ONLY one is that of Jesus' death. NOT his birth. His death. So if you're going to make some kind of attack on a faith, at least try and have some accuracy in it. The date of Jesus' death, Nisan 14, is well-known and documented. Why would God have seen to it that that's the case? Because that's what we're commanded to observe. The date of Jesus' birth, however, is neither commanded for Christians to celebrate, nor is the date of it given at all. In fact, the only 2 mentions of birthday celebrations in the Bible are cast in a very negative light, and both times they involved someone's murder, the second incident being the murder of John the Baptizer.

I Just have a problem with some of the non biblical things Jehovah's Witnesses believe as well. I am sure you do not see a significance in celebrating Christ since you bellieve He is not God but he is a created being, a servant, just one step above an angel. That is not biblical. Jesus is as much God as the father and the Holyspirit. Jesus is the Great I AM. He sits on the throne, seated on the right hand of the father.
    -

Oct 30, 2007, 02:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by beatlejuice
    I Just have a problem with some of the non biblical things Jehovah's Witnesses believe as well. I am sure you do not see a significance in celebrating Christ since you bellieve He is not God but he is a created being, a servant, just one step above an angel. That is not biblical. Jesus is as much God as the father and the Holyspirit. Jesus is the Great I AM. He sits on the throne, seated on the right hand of the father.
    Actually everything Jehovah's Witnesses believe is soundly based on the scriptures. For example, in both Colossians 1:15 and Revelation 3:14 (BIBLE SCRIPTURES) it very clearly states that Jesus had a beginning and that he was created. Jesus having a beginning shows right there that he cannot be God. But... we're getting off the topic of the post.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Oct 30, 2007, 02:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by silentrascal
    At that just illustrates the ridiculous ignorance people have about Jehovah's Witnesses. The ONLY celebration that the Bible commands Christians to observe....and I'll say it again, the ONLY one is that of Jesus' death. NOT his birth. His death. So if you're going to make some kind of attack on a faith, at least try and have some accuracy in it. The date of Jesus' death, Nisan 14, is well-known and documented. Why would God have seen to it that that's the case? Because that's what we're commanded to observe. The date of Jesus' birth, however, is neither commanded for Christians to celebrate, nor is the date of it given at all. In fact, the only 2 mentions of birthday celebrations in the Bible are cast in a very negative light, and both times they involved someone's murder, the second incident being the murder of John the Baptizer.

Funny thing about that, though... Christians generally celebrate Christ's death not on a particular day, but on the first Sunday (or Monday, depending on where you are) following the first full moon after the Spring Equinox.

Which is the pagan celebration of Oestre--a fertillity celebration.

Most saint days are the days of their death--not their birth.

However--the history of the Christian church (the one that MOST people recognize, anyway, including pagans like myself) pretty much says that Christian holy days (read that as holidays if you like) were observed on pagan holy days--for two reasons. One was because, as was said, early Christians were persecuted for their religion, and observing their holy days on another religion's holy day made it safer. The second reason was to convert people--if you could say "hey--that's my holiday too! let's celebrate it together! And look--it wouldn't hurt anyone if you SAID it was about Jesus, would it?" it tended to convert people pretty easily.
    -

Oct 30, 2007, 02:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen
    funny thing about that, though....Christians generally celebrate Christ's death not on a particular day, but on the first Sunday (or Monday, depending on where you are) following the first full moon after the Spring Equinox.
    That is because the Jewish day of Nisan 14 never falls on the same particular day of the week. You have to go by the Jewish calendar in determining the time frame in our modern time that corresponds to the same time on their calendar. It is always celebrated on Nisan 14 after sundown.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Tell us what you got for christmas [ 25 Answers ]

Get any good gifts? Did you get what you asked for or was it a complete surprise?

Christmas and PC [ 9 Answers ]

In Britain, we are hearing on the radio that 3/4 of all employers in the UK do not allow Christmas decorations to be put up for fear of offending other religions. As an atheist who enjoys Christmas for the giving and merriment, I don't understand what all the fuss is about. I would like to...

Your Top Christmas Carols & Christmas Songs [ 38 Answers ]

Ok it's that time of year when the holidays are around :) and I was just thinking what are people's top Carols or Chritmas songs that they like? Christmas songs for me would be The Pogues, Fairytale of New York ;) and my Christmas Carol would have to be Joy To The World :) ! Please feel...

Christmas is almost here [ 4 Answers ]

As Christmas is almost here, what are you looking forward to the most? We are putting up our tree Sunday after church; it is a tradition, to do this on the second Sunday of the month. I can never wait to get it in the house. We always cook a large meal and invite friends and family to eat and...

Christmas [ 92 Answers ]

I was wondering what peoploe think about organizations like the ACLU trying to get christian icons removed from public schools. They go as far as saying that even the colors red and green count as icons for christmas and should not be used. It seems to me they are a bunch of people who fight for...

View more questions Search