Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2007, 08:13 AM
    You may disagree all you like, however your argument remains flawed- the truth of the matter is that you're [strawman] of exchanging the terms “marriage” for “civil union” doesn't fly, and beyond that you're concept of “Tradition” (or belief, often one that has been handed down from generation to generation) is far from accurate.

It stands on firm ground that, “There is no good reason to prohibit same sex marriage. It has proven to be harmless sociologically” is not an accurate proposition.
    americangayboy Posts: 220, Reputation: 38

Sep 15, 2007, 02:07 PM
    We'll have to agree to disagree. Besides, the burden of proof really falls on those who want to prohibit other's rights.
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2007, 04:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by americangayboy
    We'll have to agree to disagree. Besides, the burden of proof really falls on those who want to prohibit other's rights.
    I beg your pardon; the ‘Burden of Proof’ is the legal obligation on a party to prove the allegation made by him against another party.

Those who are challenging current laws regarding traditional marriage are the ones who bear the burden. There are no inherent “Rights”- there are only rights afforded to citizens by a government; in spite of all that has been written about ‘Natural Rights”. Natural rights are derived from religious convictions.

When the government decides to allow same sex marriage there then will be established a “Right”.

Sep 15, 2007, 04:33 PM
    There are inherent rights, at least there are according to our Founding Fathers.

It is the responsibility of those who believe same-sex unions/marriages (they are the same thing, don't kid yourself) are harmful to prove they will be harmful. Homosexuality is generally regarded (by scientific communities) to be completely harmless and there is no reason to believe that same-sex marriage will be sociologically damaging. In fact, societies that allow ssm have higher standards of living and lower divorce rates than societies that do not (Belgium vs Poland, Massachusetts vs Alabama).
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 15, 2007, 05:53 PM
    I am sorry but there is no rational for sexual perversions.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2007, 06:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow
    There are no inherent “Rights”- there are only rights afforded to citizens by a government;
    Hello DC:

The Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution guarantees equal treatment to all. That means if YOU have the right to marry who you choose to marry, I do too.

excon
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Sep 15, 2007, 07:04 PM
    The Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution (Amendment XIV) is one of the post-Civil War amendments (known as the Reconstruction Amendments), first intended to secure rights for former slaves. It includes the Due Process and Equal Protection Clauses among others. It was proposed on June 13, 1866, and ratified on July 9, 1868.[1] It is perhaps one of the most important structural changes to the Constitution.

The amendment provides a broad definition of national citizenship, overturning the Dred Scott case, which excluded African Americans. It requires the states to provide equal protection under the law to all persons (not only to citizens) within their jurisdictions, and was used in the mid-20th century to dismantle legal segregation, as in Brown v. Board of Education.

Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

__________________________________________________ ____

Bobby
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 15, 2007, 07:11 PM
    They have the same right to marry someone of the other sex anytime they want, no rights lost.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Sep 15, 2007, 07:23 PM
    AGB:

Look at the census bureau statistics on "poverty"
    There are higher rates in the categories outside "traditional marriage."

I agree, a lot of war and genocide have sectarian roots, but
    The same can be said of "agnostic" societies: Russia under Stalin, China under Mao for example.

I agree, that it is wrong for "religious" people to "hate" homosexuals [or anyone else ], but it is wrong to characterize all religious people as homosexual haters.

Grace and Peace

Sep 16, 2007, 12:21 AM
    First, to Fr_Chuck: why is homosexuality perverse? It is a normal variation of human (and in a greater sense mammalian & avian) sexuality AND it has not proven to be harmful to society or individuals. There is no rationalization for laws based solely on religious dogma. Also, the last time I checked, the reason behind modern marriage was to marry someone you love. If you are gay, marrying someone of the opposite sex is not marrying someone you love. If love is not the basis of marriage, what is? Economic reasons? What is sacred about money?

Now, to inthebox: what are you trying to say? If you're saying that the rate of out-of-wedlock births is higher among the poor, you are absolutely right; however, if you look at the statistics, poverty is more prevalent in societies that do not support (and often times persecute) queer people. As for your assertion that atheistic/agnostic societies are as bad as religious ones, I'd like to point out that I said they have higher standards of living and lower divorce rates. I did not say, nor did I imply, that atheists are completely innocent, but throughout human history, religious societies suffer prominent blood-lust. The Crusades, the Inquisition, the Holocaust, the "War on Terror," and many other hideous wars are all religiously based.

At the bottom of this argument is the separation of church and state. Because restricting ssm is based solely on religion, it is unconstitutional. Give me a good reason (that is based on credible research) to prohibit ssm, and I will respect your opinions. Until then, I'll think of you the way I think of white-supremecists: legally allowed to exist but thoroughly deserving of disrespect.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 16, 2007, 11:28 AM
    I think this thread has run its course.

Question Closed

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

2 states: Can I credit state tax of one state to other state [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 W-2. One from job in Mass. Mass state tax is withheld in that W-2. Then I moved to NC and got a new job in NC. NC state tax is withheld in this second jobs W-2. Both W-2 only have state tax withheld from their corresponding states. So can I credit taxes of one state to another and...

Separation [ 1 Answers ]

My husband is a Canadian citizen. I am an American. We have been married for about a year but separated for more than half that time because of the immigration laws. We married in the US, but 7 months ago when I went to go meet his parents in Canada we found out he could not come back into the US...

Separation [ 9 Answers ]

Hello I am new to this site. I have made up my mind that my marrige is over. I have been married 5 years. I have 2 children by him and two from a previous relationship, that they call him dad. Out of the 5 years we have been married he has only worked maybe 1yr. He refuses to work or do...

Separation [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm from Massachusetts, and I'm wondering how do I go about getting a separation on my own without a lawyer. Is this even possible? Someone told me it was. Not sure what my rights are here, because he doesn't want a separation and I do. Please advise... Thank you, Shadow

View more questions Search