Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2010, 11:14 AM

He's out of the Country and I didn't think the Police would bother chasing him down wherever he is - but I've been wrong before and I could very well be wrong now.

Suppose it depends on the charges.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2010, 11:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Suppose it depends on the charges.
    Hello again, Judy:

Yup.

excon
    FloridaFisher Posts: 121, Reputation: 5

May 7, 2010, 10:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by inhaLe View Post
    I have court in 2 weeks for a charge that was issued earlier this year (theft under 5k). I had an interview yesterday and they said everything looked good, but they have to submit a background check (not sure what type; bondable, child abuse, etc.). I was just wondering that since it's not a conviction, I'm sold it won't show up. But, I'd like to hear it from someone with a little more experience than me.

Basically the question is, Will pending charges for a theft under 5000 appear on a background check?

Thanks!
    No, I know first hand that they will not. Even for a felony charge.

I moved from KS to FL with a charge pending and found a job and nothing ever popped up on my background. Then I went back and was convicted and sentenced to 12 months probation.

Now, that being said they can find out of course if you a) go to jail/prison or b) are sentenced to probation. Both will result in your job finding out. Trust me.

Here's the tricky part. Depending on your states laws, you may continue your job regardless or may be fired. Some states have a "fire at will" law in place so the employer can drop any employee at any time for no reason what-so-ever. However, if your state doesn't have this and you're not working a bank job or something then you technically never lied on your application or during the interview and cannot be terminated based on false information.. Although, they may not be too happy with you lol.

Good luck, dude.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 7, 2010, 10:29 AM

I am surprised by your experience - I actually do background checks and pending charges do appear. I am in NY and it may vary from State to State.

It also depends on the extent of the background check.

And, yes, if it's an employment at will State "you" can be dismissed at any time for no reason whatsoever.

In my experience employees who don't make full disclosure are far more likely to be terminated than those who do make full disclosure, followed by a plausible explanation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Background check [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I am natalija. Have a record of shoplifting and received provincial offence notice, and I plead guilty and paid the 500 Dollars, but should not appear in the court. Now I got a job offer from the private company but according to them ( a private and a very company) "once you have...

Background Check? [ 5 Answers ]

Hey, I have a theft charge. I got defered ajudification if that's how you spell it well that means I never get convicted charged and it will only say pending for a year then dismissed for two years then completely gone after 3 years. But I Want a job and I am not sure what will come up when they...

Background/Criminal Check [ 6 Answers ]

I posted a few months ago about a man my mother has started dating. The whole situation with him is so suspicious that I'm worried. He recently got arrested for something that he supposedly went to jail for in Florida a few months ago. Since he wouldn't be arrested for the same thing twice, I...

Background check? [ 2 Answers ]

Please help, how do I go about a background check on a private school for my 6th grader? I find it strange there is only 52 kids 1-12 grade?

Background check; concerned... [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, For the past year I have worked in HR as an assistant. I graduated from college last year. (05) Recently I applied for a position at a big company, and rec'd the offer for a recruiting coordinator. I accepted the offer and I have about 2 weeks until I start. The company is VERY thorough...

View more questions Search