Feb 10, 2011, 01:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gbgb9 View Post
    I'm in Tennessee.. .
    39-14-202. Cruelty to animals. —
    (a) A person commits an offense who intentionally or knowingly:
    (1) Tortures, maims or grossly overworks an animal;
    39-14-201. Definitions for animal offenses. —
    As used in this part, unless the context otherwise requires:
    (1) “Animal” means a domesticated living creature or a wild creature previously captured;
    (4) “Torture” means every act, omission, or neglect whereby unreasonable physical pain, suffering, or death is caused or permitted, but nothing in this part shall be construed as prohibiting the shooting of birds or game for the purpose of human food or the use of animate targets by incorporated gun clubs.
    Legal Resources

So the definition of "animal" used in the statute, strictly speaking, includes birds (such as ducks), insects, and fish. All of these are "living creatures" or "wild creature" (s). Someone should point out to the legislature that vegetables are creatures too.

Smoothy notes, "Its not illegal to eat critters", but this of course is circular reasoning (it's not illegal because it's not.). I suggest, however, that inflicting some "physical pain and suffering" upon them incidental to the process of eating them would not be considered "unreasonable".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Animal cruelty [ 15 Answers ]

I was just watching on the news how monkeys are being put on treadmills to see if humans need excersise as well as a good diet. Wouldn't it be more realistic to use people. I think people would jump for the opportunity to be involved with an experiment that could improve their health and it just...

Animal Cruelty [ 1 Answers ]

It bothers me greatly to see that there is little or no punishment for animal cruelty. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the government to pass laws that would greatly increase punishment for animal cruelty? I always make donations to the SPCA every year but I would like to do more. A...

Animal Cruelty [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know the percentage of animals hurt by testing products on them ?:confused:

Loopholes [ 5 Answers ]

Hello wingers: I’ve been hearing about how upset you are regarding those corrupt criminal lawyers out there who, single-handedly, are responsible for all the woes of society. Cheer up, dudes - things ain’t so bad. Here’s one you’re going to love. An Ohio inmate named Bowles, challenged his...

View more questions Search