Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Dec 17, 2008, 04:46 PM

A liberal is perfectly capable of saying that he or she should do something and yet will not do so; the conservative... is already moving as soon as the word "should" is pronounced.
    - Bruce Fleming.

Terrorism occurred during the Clinton administration. It escalated and everyone agreed it was bad, but Clinton did nothing.
    9/11 happened and President Bush did something about it, confronted terrorism for the evil that it is, and thank God, another 9/11 has not occurred.

g&p
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2008, 07:17 AM

Besides, do you really think that, as bad as our interrogation techniques may be, we aren't still infinitely better than our enemies in our treatment of POWs
    We have a long way to go . Everyone forget Nick Berg already ?

Bill Roggio describes how the Taliban operates :
    Taliban desecrate body of slain opposing tribal leader - The Long War Journal
    The leader of the tribal resistance was killed and two of his aides were beheaded last weekend after the Taliban overran the region controlled by the opposition.

After Samiullah was buried, the Taliban returned, dug up his body and hanged it in public. The Taliban made an example of Samiullah and those who oppose Fazlullah's rule.

It goes back long before Jackson
    Yeah I know ;but Jackson was fresh in my mind because I'm in the middle of reading 'American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House'.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2008, 07:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Everyone forget Nick Berg already
    Hello again, tom:

More evidence of your belief that we should ACT based upon who THEY are - not who WE are.

I DISAGREE. That ISN'T who we are as a nation... It NEVER was who we are, and it NEVER will be who we are. I don't understand how you missed that.

Frankly, a belief in tit for tat is no better than the Taliban...

excon
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2008, 07:36 AM

Did I say that I wanted a tit for tat response ? No I did not . But from a tactical point of view ;our winning hearts and minds is far less effective than their terrorizing hearts and minds . We will not defeat them with tea and crumpets.
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2008, 06:14 AM

Turns out the office of the President-elect is having 2nd thoughts about restricting interrogation techniques to those codified in the Army Manual . He is willing to entertain some CIA secret techniques . I guess the issue is not as black and white as it appears.
    Print Story: Rollback on Torture? Not So Easy for Obama and the Dems - Yahoo! News
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2008, 06:27 AM
    Hello again, tom:

It IS black and white if you don't WANT to torture. It's grey if you do.

excon
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2008, 09:22 AM

Most of congress should be in jail for allowing what is happening in our country today to occur. I am not bashing one party. I said most of congress. Along with the heads of the major lending institutions who are raping the "bailout" of millions to line their own pockets.
    As far as torture is concerned. Lets put into prospective a bit.
    Lets say your daughter was raped and murdered. You found someone who knows about what actually happened and who did it. What would YOU do to get the information? Remember now there is no police in this scenario, just you to gather the information, find the culprit, and carry out punishment.
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2008, 09:40 AM
    Hello again, 450:

Of course, you point out the Jack Bauer theory of torture... But, it's full of holes if one thinks about it a bit...

THAT'S the problem. We DON'T think about it very much. We just REACT.

And, that's the very reason why we, as a society, give the power to punish to the state. One hopes the state would act WITHOUT emotion.

Course, THESE guys don't think much. Cause, in the example above, how do you KNOW that you found someone who knows what you want to know? Did somebody tell you? If they did, go ask him? How would HE know, anyway??

Of course, the answer in your scenario, is you DON'T KNOW that the guy you're about to torture knows anything - you only THINK you know.

excon
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2008, 09:54 AM

Did not say I would torture them I asked what YOU would do in this case?
    Personally I will do what ever it takes to ensure the safety of MY family. And in my example above I would do only as much as necessary to gain the information I needed to take me to the next step.
    That could mean water boarding ( not torture) sleep deprivation ( not torture) or it could mean that I feed him only food that is forbid by is religion to gain the information. Remember in my scenario I am the judge and jury and excutioner.

Unlike most of the koolaid crowd I have actually been in war. It is not pretty, people die every day. Burning to death is a horrible method of killing people, but War is Hell. But in a War you do what ever is necessary to achieve victory. Otherwise there is no reason to go into battle.
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2008, 10:00 AM
    Hello again, 450:

I think you missed what I said. You usually do.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2008, 07:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 450donn View Post
    Did not say I would torture them I asked what YOU would do in this case?
    Personally I will do what ever it takes to ensure the safety of MY family. and in my example above I would do only as much as necessary to gain the information I needed to take me to the next step.
    That could mean water boarding ( not torture) sleep deprivation ( not torture) or it could mean that I feed him only food that is forbid by is religion to gain the information. Remember in my scenario I am the judge and jury and excutioner.

Unlike most of the koolaid crowd I have actually been in war. It is not pretty, people die every day. Burning to death is a horrible method of killing people, but War is Hell. But in a War you do what ever is necessary to achieve victory. Otherwise there is no reason to go into battle.

You don't think waterboarding is torture?

I don't understand why when people have made themselves very clear your answers boil down to disrespect and "Well, what would YOU do?," followed by some impossible and usually illegal scenario.

Please define torture for me.
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2008, 08:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 450donn View Post
    and in my example above I would do only as much as necessary to gain the information I needed to take me to the next step.
    Hello again, 450:

I ask you again, how do you know the guy HAS the information you need?? I submit, that you don't. Period, plain and simple.

Oh, and by the way, I've been in a few battles mydamnself - koolaid and all.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2008, 09:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, 450:

I ask you again, how do you know the guy HAS the information you need???? I submit, that you don't. Period, plain and simple.

Oh, and by the way, I've been in a few battles mydamnself - koolaid and all.

excon

Well, you know what they say - War is Hell.
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2008, 10:35 AM

Please define torture for me
    The crux of the problem . Some would say making a prisoner uncomfortable is torture. Others like me say that waterboarding ;the most extreme interogation technique used (and on only 3 terrorists )doesn't meet the definition of torture. Others like me say it doesn't come close when compared to... oh lets say the mutilation that was done to the Jews by the jihadists in Mumbai before they were executed .

Like I said "the office of the President-elect " is having a difficult time adequately defining what crosses the line.
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2008, 11:20 AM
    Hello again,

If you want to torture, as this president and his supporters do, you could just redefine it. And, they did. If you didn't want to, the definition is clear.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

With this woman running the House, do you really want a Dem in the White House? [ 9 Answers ]

This woman is frightening. She quotes... ' We need to work toward the goal of equalizing income, (didn't Marx say something like this), in our country and at the same time limiting the amount the rich can invest.' ( I am not rich, are you?) When asked how these new tax dollars would be...

Need definition of natural crime and legal crime [ 1 Answers ]

Am doing a college paper on Natural Crime and Legal Crime and am searching for simple definitions or other research on these two types of crime and what falls under each. Thanks:)

Natural Crime and Legal Crime [ 5 Answers ]

I need some help here I am doing a paper on Natural Crime and Legal Crime I need 1500 word and I am stuck at 895. Can anyone give me their thoughts on the subject?

Natural crime and legal crime [ 2 Answers ]

It appears I am up and have the same class now. I need a little assitance in getting a paper for the topic of natural crime and legal crime. Can some one help a brother out?

Rented House was Crime Scene not Disclosed. [ 4 Answers ]

I am renting a house and subletting 4 rooms to pay for the rent. My tenants and I just found out the house we are living in was used in a crime involving the beating death of 2 children. I rent the rooms by the week and all my tenants have left because of the crimes being committed in the house....

View more questions Search