Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2008, 10:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    There'd be love and respect, but I think you'd have it even bigger than Clinton. With someone like Obama, I think the whole country, the whole world will coalesce. Every election is about change, and change takes a long time because there are big issues that can't be changed overnight. But the one thing that will change dramatically is how we're viewed around the world. Once Obama is in there, the world will view us in an entirely different light. And that, to me, is a good thing...
    Rob Reiner
    Very nice quote, thanks for sharing. That can only be good for the U.S.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2008, 10:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    But the one thing that will change dramatically is how we're viewed around the world. Once Obama is in there, the world will view us in an entirely different light. And that, to me, is a good thing...Rob Reiner
    Hello again, tom:

Call me a cultist, and I'm sure you will, but what Meathead said is right on.

The fact of the matter is, the United States of America has lost its way under the dufus in chief. The world noticed. Should we find our soul again under Obama, and I believe we will, the world will notice again.

In case you don't know what I'm talking about, as an example, the world doesn't like us BEING the torturers. They liked us a whole lot better when we Condemned the torturers.

excon
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2008, 11:01 AM
    Every President since the cold war began ultimately gets depicted in the Euroweeney press as a cowboy riding on a missile . The minute "the one" increases troops strength in Afghanistan or orders a missile attack that hits an aspirin factory the bloom will be off his rose. He is sucking up to the wrong constituency . But that is a good thing . Let him depict himself as a citizen of the world . The US wants to elect a US President... not a lackey to Germany and France.
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Aug 5, 2008, 11:22 AM
    I agree with Rob Reiner. It will be the first step in a positive direction.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2008, 11:36 AM
    Isn't G DUB a lackey for the Oil Companies.
    purplewings Posts: 145, Reputation: 24

Aug 5, 2008, 01:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spitvenom
    Isn't G DUB a lackey for the Oil Companies.
    Sure he is. The oil companies provide lots of money for our government. Of course, every other president is a lackey for the oil companies too - so we can't expect any different from whomever takes office in January.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2008, 03:50 PM
    Well PW, some are getting closer to not letting big business money dictate too much:
    Political Radar: DNC: No More Contributions from Federal Lobbyists
    It's been less than two days since he crossed the delegate threshold to become the Democratic presidential nominee and Sen. Barack Obama's mark on the party is already being felt.
    On Good Morning America Thursday, ABC News' Chief Washington Correspondent George Stephanopoulos reported "the Democratic National Committee will no longer accept contributions from federal lobbyists, will no longer take contributions from PACs" in keeping with Obama's well-publicized policy.
    purplewings Posts: 145, Reputation: 24

Aug 5, 2008, 04:55 PM
    I don't think so, NK. I think some are just using a different way around it.

Obama would have been correct if he had said he didn't take money from oil company lobbyists or political action committees.

Also correct is that Obama accepted $222,309 from executives and employees of oil companies, according to an analysis from the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics. It's worth noting those donations could be from anyone from the CEO to the janitor. People who donate to political candidates are required to list their occupation and employer. It's important to note that this rule is has far from perfect compliance; sometimes people don't fill it in at all.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2008, 02:13 AM
    the Democratic National Committee will no longer accept contributions from federal lobbyists, will no longer take contributions from PACs" in keeping with Obama's well-publicized policy.
    Not even from trial lawyers and unions ? I find that hard to believe.

Behind those large donations is a phalanx of more than 500 Obama "bundlers," fund-raisers who have each collected contributions totaling $50,000 or more. Many of the bundlers come from industries with critical interests in Washington. Nearly three dozen of the bundlers have raised more than $500,000, including more than a half-dozen who have passed the $1 million mark and one or two who have exceeded $2 million, according to interviews with fund-raisers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

An analysis of campaign finance records shows that about two-thirds of his bundlers are concentrated in four major industries: law, securities and investments, real estate and entertainment. Lawyers make up the largest group at about 130, with many working for firms that also have lobbying arms. At least 100 Obama bundlers are top executives or brokers from investment businesses - nearly two dozen work for financial titans like Lehman Brothers, Goldman Sachs and Citigroup. About 40 others come from the real-estate industry.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Obama has pledged not to accept donations from federally registered lobbyists or political action committees. But some top donors clearly have policy and political agendas. Hedge fund executives, for example, have bundled large sums for Obama at a time their industry has been looking to increase its clout in Washington.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Even as Obama seeks to contrast himself with McCain as a political outsider, updated bundler lists released recently by their campaigns show they have a similar number of high-dollar fund-raisers.

Big donors are the key to Obama's record haul - International Herald Tribune

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fun at the DNC convention [ 5 Answers ]

Come join the fun folks of "Re-create 68" in Denver during the Democratic convention as they attempt to re-create the glory days of the 1968 Democratic convention in Chicago. Activities include The Festival of Democracy, the Food Not Bombs sponsored Community Feeds and the End the Occupations...

Individuals rights and liberties prior to the constitutional Convention [ 4 Answers ]

Please help me with the body of my essay that is related to the title

Fiscal year convention [ 1 Answers ]

I am preparing financial projections for a business plan. Would a fiscal year from Jul 1, 2004 through June 30, 2005 be properly designated as 2004 or 2005? Thank you.

View more questions Search