Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 28, 2008, 12:07 PM
    Heck, I wish you were my son-in-law, at least you are trying to fix things. Snake and rod are the same animal and both have more force than a garden hose. The hose may help and if the water builds back up to the roof in the stack you got your answer. Lets go with Tom because he's got so darn much experience I want to learn his tricks too. Get you bucket(s) ready and follow Tom's directions, I'd even get two buckets ready just for the fun of it.
    bowhunting4 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2008, 12:08 PM
    Tom I don't believe I would be able to do that. I thought that it would work the way I had it due to the old shower being plumbed in the same way so I have already framed the shower in. I would have to take the whole thing out again drywall included to try this. Sorry. I have no clue what indirect waste is.

Apr 28, 2008, 12:11 PM
    Bow, tell us how your father-in-law installed the drain, some fiberglass shower pans just use a big thick rubber collar around the PVC and they are removalable after your take out the screen.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 28, 2008, 12:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bowhunting4
    Tom I dont believe I would be able to do that. I thought that it would work the way I had it due to the old shower being plumbed in the same way so I have already framed the shower in. I would have to take the whole thing out again drywall included to try this. sorry. I have no clue what indirect waste is.
    You don't have to do anything to the shower. A indirect waste terminates a few inches above the drain,(see image) that's how it should have been terminated in the first place. I still want you to0 pour water down the floor drain to see if you have a blockage and if so how far out it is. Regards, Tom

Apr 28, 2008, 12:25 PM
    The drain that he installed looks a lot like the one posted on the first page. It has threads on the main housing and there is a nut that tightens up under the floor of the shower. I will run down stairs and see if there is a way to take the top off without taking the shower apart and starting over. I will try the garden hose thing due to not being able to make it to town today. I live about 25 miles out of town and am on days off from work with gas at 4.00 a gallon I will try other things and then get a snake. Please keep the suggestions coming you guys are wonderful.

Apr 28, 2008, 12:25 PM
    Bow just do it, Tom walked me through this a few months back and it really helped me.

Apr 28, 2008, 12:27 PM
    Tom I will pour water down the drain and see how much it takes and get back with you. Thanks...

Apr 28, 2008, 12:27 PM
    Bow, we were typing at the same time so my answer is based on posts 1-24 only, did not see #25 until now.

Apr 28, 2008, 12:33 PM
    Just a little over five gallons and it started to bubble inside of the shower and then the water came up around my pvc in the floor drain.

Apr 28, 2008, 12:35 PM
    You have a clog downstream several feet I'm guessing. Tom probably has a chart in his head that says 5 gallons= 6.5' in a 2" drain.

Apr 28, 2008, 12:41 PM
    With this being the problem the snake should be able to fix it if I am not mistaken correct?
    One more question: If it is about 6' from the drain there is a toilet that is only 3 feet from the drain could I take the toilet out and snake it from there or would they be on a different drain line?

Apr 28, 2008, 04:54 PM
    Tried the snake thing through the shower drain. Did not seem to solve the problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vent diagram - does this meet code (see pic)? Vent runs below actual drain [ 4 Answers ]

The schematic below should make it clear the configuration I would like to use. Basically, I would like to keep the vent under the floor for a little ways, so it pops up in a better location. I cannot easily move the 2" drain location going down and would rather not go straight up from the...

Basement shower drain vent? [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a basement shower which was stubbed when the floor was poured. A P trap is in the floor about 3' from the main horizontal sanitary line which goes out to the septic. I can see no vent lines and wonder if I need to vent the shower. If I do need to vent it, the vent needs to...

Shower & toilet drain/vent [ 2 Answers ]

I'm finishing the basement and have to add a bath tub as well as a toilet. My plan is to have a horizontal 3" tee, one side going to the toilet (about 16"), the second side to a 1 1/2" reducer which leads to the tub (about 24") and the third side ties directly into the main (vertical) 3" stack. Is...

Need advice on simple shower drain leak. Pics provided. [ 6 Answers ]

We discovered a moisture leak on the 1st floor ceiling below our master bathroom shower. We had a friend cut out the damaged section of the ceiling and ran the shower water to test where the leak was originating. The leak is coming from the rim of the shower drain. I provided pictures to...

Need quick advice! [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everyone! :) I posted the other day about this guy at work and how I really liked him etc... Well now I need some more advice quick. Me and this guy got together on Monday night and rode around and talked and had a really nice time. We couldn't stay out long because I had to work 3rd shift...

View more questions Search