Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NICKNAME Posts: 27, Reputation: 3

May 20, 2008, 03:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    God did not "come" from anywhere, he was always God. The idea of time is a man made creation.
    yeah, that`s right. in our holy book Koran, it says Allah (God) is always a god, he is the only greatest god, the merciful, didn`t born or have any sons or family, the greatest at all and he will never sleep or die. he is holding everything and control it. When he leaves someone in pain, it means he is testing him and know how much faithful is he, so Muslims in Iraq or Palestine who has been killed or hearted they are suffering but never give up , because Allah (God) said, their will be a day, with big war between Muslims and Christians against Jews to release Palestine, and every one in Israel knows that.
    So god is unique never been like him and will never be like him
    mimi03 Posts: 201, Reputation: 45

May 20, 2008, 06:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NICKNAME

yeah, that`s right. in our holy book Koran, it says Allah (God) is always a god, he is the only greatest god, the merciful, didn`t born or have any sons or family, the greatest at all and he will never sleep or die. he is holding everything and control it. When he leaves someone in pain, it means he is testing him and know how much faithful is he, so Muslims in Iraq or Palestine who has been killed or hearted they are suffering but never give up , because Allah (God) said, their will be a day, with big war between Muslims and Christians against Jews to release Palestine, and every one in Israel knows that.
    So god is unique never been like him and will never be like him
    I don't intend for this to be sarcastic in any way but I am curious to know (that's assuming you know) why does your god need to bring about/allow war (which kills many innocent people) to "release Palestine"? I'd like to think there's at least one peaceful alternative and surely an all powerful god could figure it out :)

This is off the OP's original question so maybe you can email me your response?
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2008, 07:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by amberlynn
    in the beginning god created haven and the earth.
    but where did he come from.?
    Hi Amberlynn, you have received many good answers. I can just repeat the Christian view.
    First of all, God was there in the beginning and will be there in the end because God is eternal.

Some people think that the universe was always here. There are two versions to this idea. Some believe the universe, an unintelligent thing existed from all eternity and has created itself. However, the beauty and design of the universe disproves this idea. Only an intelligent being could have created what we see.

Other people think that the universe itself is the eternal intelligent being which created itself. However, that is just another version of God. It isn't Christianity, but it still admits the existence of an all Wise and Divine Creator.

And then there are those who believe that the universe simply appeared out of nothing. But nothing is a concept which man developed. There is no such thing as nothing. Even the emptiness of space is filled with light beams and other forms of matter or energy which we can't see. And that means that something always existed. And that something is God. Because it took intelligence to create the ordered universe which we see today.

Sincerely,

De Maria
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2008, 07:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Credendovidis
    ... The ever-existence of God is belief-based. As a Christian you BELIEVE that God existed forever. What seems so wrong for you to confirm that you BELIEVE that?
    There is nothing wrong with my admitting I believe that God exists. But I believe that because I can prove it from logical inference.

Now, I can surmise that you use your own logic to infer that God does not exist. But if we compare the two syllogisms, I believe mine is superior to yours. And I believe reasonable people will come to the same conclusion as the majority of people have throughout the history of man. Because throughout the history of man, atheism has been the exception and not the rule.

Anyway, I'll be glad to continue this discussion when I return, God willing, in approximately 14 days.

Sincerely,

De Maria
    lobrobster Posts: 208, Reputation: 26

May 20, 2008, 10:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by De Maria
    And I believe reasonable people will come to the same conclusion as the majority of people have throughout the history of man.
    1. You are making a 'weighting' error by using the 'entire' duration of human history and not considering both the sheer volume of people and the insufficient information which was available to the majority of people who have ever lived on this planet. Not that long ago, man didn't know why volcanoes erupted, tsunamis occurred, or even what caused thunder or disease. Of course, early man had a propensity for believing in gods. In fact, there were lots of gods once upon a time. Do you notice any trend? The number keeps dwindling. We are now down to just one god for most people.

2. There is a reason why an overwhelming majority of scientists and post graduates tend to be skeptics when it comes to things like gods, religions, astrology, etc. Don't get me wrong. There are plenty of intelligent religious people. But the fact remains the more educated and reasonable a person is, the less likely he/she is to accept dogmatic teachings.
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2008, 01:00 PM
    Obviously my trip has been delayed for several hours. So I'll participate a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by lobrobster
    1. You are making a 'weighting' error by using the 'entire' duration of human history and not considering both the sheer volume of people and the insufficient information which was available to the majority of people who have ever lived on this planet. Not that long ago, man didn't know why volcanoes erupted, tsunamis occurred, or even what caused thunder or disease. Of course, early man had a propensity for believing in gods. In fact, there were lots of gods once upon a time. Do you notice any trend? The number keeps dwindling. We are now down to just one god for most people.
    You are obviously not aware of the Hindu. And there are many other Pagan religions in the world. And Paganism has been the prominent religion throughout the history of mankind. Even today, the sheer volume of people says that atheism is the minority in the world.
    Adherents.com: Atheist Statistics | Agnostic

Atheism has never come close to being a majority in the world.

2. There is a reason why an overwhelming majority of scientists and post graduates tend to be skeptics when it comes to things like gods, religions, astrology, etc. Don't get me wrong. There are plenty of intelligent religious people. But the fact remains the more educated and reasonable a person is, the less likely he/she is to accept dogmatic teachings.
    Show me some stats or something. Because after I researched the subject, the number seems to be about 40/60 of scientists who claim to be atheist vs scientists who believe in God.
    Why are Most Scientists Atheists If There is Evidence for Belief in God?

But when you delve into the scientiests who claim to be atheists, they are actually agnostic. They admit that they don't really know whether God exists or not.

So, you are either making assumptions from what you believe to be true or you are believing the virulent anti-religious rants of people like Richard Dawkins.

Sincerely,

De Maria
    lobrobster Posts: 208, Reputation: 26

May 21, 2008, 01:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by De Maria
    You are obviously not aware of the Hindu. And there are many other Pagan religions in the world.
    No, I'm very aware of Hinduism and other religions that worship multiple gods. That's why I specified 'most' people are now down to one god. Nevertheless, it was once the case where 'most' people believed in multiple gods. That clearly isn't the case anymore and the number has precipitously trended downward.

Atheism has never come close to being a majority in the world.
    Nor would I expect it to be. Yet... Atheism IS on a tremendous rise however. It seems to go up as the need to postulate gods for unanswered questions goes down. Again, there is a direct correlation between the number of gods humanity has ever believed in, and knowledge. The more knowledge we have, the less reason there is to believe in gods. I'll repeat the number is now down to one for 'most' people.

Show me some stats or something.
    ~Sigh, if you insist I'll look it up. But I'm referring to members of The international academy of Science, where fully over 90% of the most respected scientists in the world consider themselves atheists. To be honest, I'm not even sure I have the name of this group right. If you won't take my word for it, I can look it up by the time you get back from your trip. You can also Google 'Harris poll' and 'theism' for stats on how belief in gods severely declines among people with advanced education or post graduate degrees.

But when you delve into the scientiests who claim to be atheists, they are actually agnostic. They admit that they don't really know whether God exists or not.
    We've been through this before. You don't understand what the terms 'atheist' and 'agnostic' mean. I've told you that I myself am agnostic and you incorrectly charactorize me. The ONLY proper and intellectually honest position to hold is that of agnosticism! NO ONE can or should be 100% certain there is no god. Nevertheless, I do NOT consider myself to be a weak atheist! I'm as sure there is no such thing as god as I am that there are no such things as little green gremlins.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What is god? [ 138 Answers ]

What is god? There is always this clash between science & god.Can God be a huge amount of energy?

No god, and who is god [ 93 Answers ]

If there is no god why is it, and if there is a god who is he?

View more questions Search