Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2008, 01:13 PM
    Does anyone think that the Demorcratic Nom would pick Edwards as a running mate?
    Or is it possible that Obama and Hillary would pick each other? I doubt it, but do any of you think that would happen?

Fr. Chuck, who do you think the Rep. ticket would be?
    clinton mccoy Posts: 47, Reputation: 15

Feb 5, 2008, 01:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Allheart
    I have to agree. I think the experience thing is something that some want to hang their hat on.

He can surround himself with those who do have experience. What I like is maybe he is not jaded as much as the others who have been around longer.

I, at this point am not sure who I am voting for - I just hope and pray that we as a Country get the best one ...no matter what party affliation, gender or race.
    I look at it this way: How much experience did he have in running a presidential campaign? He made sure he had good advisors and the personality to get theses people to believe in him.

Feb 5, 2008, 01:22 PM
    Does anyone think that the Demorcratic Nom would pick Edwards as a running mate?
    Or is it possible that Obama and Hillary would pick each other? I doubt it, but do any of you think that would happen?

Fr. chuck, who do you think the Rep. ticket would be?
    The stronger tickett would Hillary Obama in any order( my opinion)
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2008, 01:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by clinton mccoy
    the stronger tickett would Hillary Obama in any order( my opinion)

That would be so powerful. I also did like Edwards though, but your right, the real weight would be combining Obama and Hillary. Oh the media would love it as well.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 5, 2008, 01:24 PM
    Barack has said he would chose a Cabinet and others to help who are experienced and from any political party, as long as they have what the country needs.

Doris Kearns Goodwin wrote a book called Team of Rivals. In it, she offers "fresh insights into Lincoln's leadership style and his deep understanding of human behavior and motivation. Goodwin makes the case for Lincoln's political genius by examining his relationships with three men he selected for his cabinet, all of whom were opponents for the Republican nomination in 1860: William H. Seward, Salmon P. Chase, and Edward Bates. These men, all accomplished, nationally known, and presidential, originally disdained Lincoln for his backwoods upbringing and lack of experience, and were shocked and humiliated at losing to this relatively obscure Illinois lawyer. Yet Lincoln not only convinced them to join his administration--Seward as secretary of state, Chase as secretary of the treasury, and Bates as attorney general--he ultimately gained their admiration and respect as well. How he soothed egos, turned rivals into allies, and dealt with many challenges to his leadership, all for the sake of the greater good, is largely what Goodwin's fine book is about. Had he not possessed the wisdom and confidence to select and work with the best people, she argues, he could not have led the nation through one of its darkest periods." (amazon.com)

I can easily imagine Barack Obama doing the same thing. He has already done something similar in bringing together his campaign staff as well as voters.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 5, 2008, 01:29 PM
    That would be so powerful. I also did like Edwards though, but your right, the real weight would be combining Obama and Hillary. Oh the media would love it as well.
    A friend told me that, since the VP job is usually so "nothing," Hillary wouldn't accept the #2 position and just be a pretty face. Obama would have to offer her major duties and allow her to do the things that she is very good at. This friend said he can better imagine a Clinton-Obama ticket that would give Obama the "experience" that many say he needs. Hillary would definitely need Barack to soften her style.

Feb 5, 2008, 01:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    A friend told me that, since the VP job is usually so "nothing," Hillary wouldn't accept the #2 position and just be a pretty face. Obama would have to offer her major duties and allow her to do the things that she is very good at. This friend said he can better imagine a Clinton-Obama ticket that would give Obama the "experience" that many say he needs. Hillary would definitely need Barack to soften her style.
    I think that also says something about Obama ego, or perception of that he would be vp to help the party. And Hillary? Do you like team players?
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2008, 01:46 PM
    Comments on this post
    Fr_Chuck agrees: tell you more after tonight, but I like one of the one that already droped out

Sounds Good Fr. Chuck. I would love to hear. You know, I did like Juliani, actually very much at first. Mostly, for how well he cleaned up New York and his incredible leadership during 9/11, but I think he didn't come off too well during this go around and I found myself a bit disappointed.

Feb 5, 2008, 02:09 PM
    Comments on this post
    Fr_Chuck agrees: tell you more after tonight, but I like one of the one that already droped out

Sounds Good Fr. Chuck. I would love to hear. You know, I did like Juliani, actually very much at first. Mostly, for how well he cleaned up New York and his incredible leadership during 9/11, but I think he didn't come off too well during this go around and I found myself a bit disappointed.
    Gay rights , immigration, obortion , and divorces hurt him. Too much a lawyer.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2008, 02:16 PM
    I think because we still feel racial tension even when it is hidden. I have asked 5 blacks that question today if they feel there would be a genuine attack on Obama and everyone said yes. I work on a college campus, and I also attend, so these are not uniformed blacks. We are ground zero so we see it for what it is, while maintaining hope for what it might can become. Hopefully it is just social paranoia, but I doubt it. What say you?
    Clinton, I do understand and no doubt racism is alive and well, but I do not believe it is as bad as many fear. You said "because we still feel racial tension even when it is hidden." What does that mean? Do you see or experience a lot of racial tension or do you just sense it?

I've been a white minority in a Hispanic neighborhood for most of my 47 years so I really don't know what racism is like. Almost all of my friends growing up were Hispanic or black so I honestly don't get why anyone looks at race as an issue... which is why I'm alternately puzzled and pi**ed when I see charges of racism fly at the slightest perception of a wrong.

What I'm getting at here is because of that atmosphere many of us at least subconsciously feel we have to watch our every step or we'll be called racist. It's like we can't just relax and be friends... like there HAS to be tension. A recent example was the University of Delaware’s residence life education program which taught “[a] racist is one who is both privileged and socialized on the basis of race by a white supremacist (racist) system. The term applies to all white people (i.e. people of European descent) living in the United States, regardless of class, gender, religion, culture or sexuality.”

Why would anyone ever believe that way let alone teach it to college students? I ask, Why Can't We Be Friends? :)
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2008, 02:19 PM
    Gay rights , immigration, obortion , and divorces hurt him. To much a lawyer.

I see. His demeanor wasn't the best either. I saw a news story where each of the candidates was assigned a student reporter to be with the 24/7 and follow there every move. Julliani was the only candidate who refused to have the student around him 24/7. He said the student could only be around him when the other press was. I was a little disappointed with that as well.

**** Now keep in mind, not sure how true it was, but I did see it on one of the special reports.****

I am sorry and very sorry if it is inaccurate.

Feb 5, 2008, 02:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx
    Clinton, I do understand and no doubt racism is alive and well, but I do not believe it is as bad as many fear. You said "because we still feel racial tension even when it is hidden." What does that mean? Do you see or experience a lot of racial tension or do you just sense it?

I've been a white minority in a Hispanic neighborhood for most of my 47 years so I really don't know what racism is like. Almost all of my friends growing up were Hispanic or black so I honestly don't get why anyone looks at race as an issue...which is why I'm alternately puzzled and pi**ed when I see charges of racism fly at the slightest perception of a wrong.

What I'm getting at here is because of that atmosphere many of us at least subconsciously feel we have to watch our every step or we'll be called racist. It's like we can't just relax and be friends...like there HAS to be tension. A recent example was the University of Delaware’s residence life education program which taught “[a] racist is one who is both privileged and socialized on the basis of race by a white supremacist (racist) system. The term applies to all white people (i.e., people of European descent) living in the United States, regardless of class, gender, religion, culture or sexuality.” Well that is the key you are the white majority minority. Listen I am not a whiner it does not bother me to try 3 times as hard, becase the winner has to try 5 times as hard. I just call as see it. I have since asked 12 blacks they same question, some professors, and trust me it is real to blacks people. Would I rather live in another country H*** NO, but it is what it is.

Why would anyone ever believe that way let alone teach it to college students? I ask, Why Can't We Be Friends? :)
    Well that is the key you are the white majority minority. Listen I am not a whiner it does not bother me to try 3 times as hard, becase the winner has to try 5 times as hard. I just call as see it. I have since asked 12 blacks they same question, some professors, and trust me it is real to blacks people. Would I rather live in another country H*** NO, but it is what it is.
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2008, 02:49 PM
    Do you think Edwards will use his 58 delegates to be a kingmaker and leverage his way into a VP or Cabinet position?

To the OP I really hope the US is ready for a black president. What I see of Obama is inspiring. He is so refreshing and one of the best speech makers I have heard in a long time. I know that doesn't necessarily make him a the best man for the job but even with what very little I know he sure would be my pick. He has an auro about him that I don't see in any of the other candidates.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2008, 02:57 PM
    Am I ready? Sure.

Period.

I honestly think for the first time we are willing, as a whole, to look past race and gender.

I think if hillary didn't have the clinton baggage, she might not be struggling so much with the dems.

I think if colin powell had run before, he have had support.

I think obama is drawing in support from a lot of areas.

I am "white bread, middle class" based on location, Iowa... though I did grow up upper-lower class in a mixed neighborhood, and I had actually more black, hispanic, and laotian friends in the neighborhood than white as a kid...

At the caucauses I saw three young, white, registered republicans switch party affiliation so they could support obama.

I'm not saying I am for or against him. I'm saying I think this election year is unique.

If a republican is elected I think it will be because of his positions. If a democrat is elected, female or black, I think it will be mixed... some who agree with what is said, and some who are excited about a historic change, right or wrong.

As for the comment about assassination... I fear that isn't unrealistic. Hatred does still exist. All it takes is one person.

Part of obama's appeal is that he isn't pushing them/us... it more about we.

I don't care if you agree with him or not... the perception is that he isn't dividing based on his skin.
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Feb 5, 2008, 03:03 PM
    Some might say that MLK Jr. was a man that America was not ready for since he gave his life for the cause of equality, just some forty years ago. Personally I think he was right where G-d wanted him. The most American thing we could do is have fewer J. Edgar Hoover types amongst our society. That being said we need to welcome more people of color running for highest office in the land. We are a diverse nation and representation doesn't necessarily come from the same skin color. I'm a born US citizen (Jewish Caucasian) and very few American presidents have ever represented the vast majority of the middle and lower classes of our populace, white or black.

Bobby
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2008, 03:20 PM
    Well that is the key you are the white majority minority.
    Technically, that's not correct. I live in a state where the minority is the majority. Even if that weren't so it's irrelevant, in my formative years I knew I was the minority and felt like the minority. You don't think I felt out of place at times or sensed some racial tension? I did and I didn't like it... then I went right out and had fun with my friends anyway.

Listen I am not a whiner it does not bother me to try 3 times as hard, becase the winner has to try 5 times as hard. I just call as see it. I have since asked 12 blacks they same question, some professors, and trust me it is real to blacks people. Would I rather live in another country H*** NO, but it is what it is.
    I don't doubt it's real to you, but believe it or not what I referred to earlier about the seeming necessity of some to keep the fire stoked makes some of us try harder, too. It's like we have to be overly cautious... when I'd rather just sit down and share a couple of beers and chat football.

Feb 5, 2008, 05:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Skell
    Do you think Edwards will use his 58 delegates to be a kingmaker and leverage his way into a VP or Cabinet position?

To the OP i really hope the US is ready for a black president. What i see of Obama is inspiring. He is so refreshing and one of the best speech makers i have heard in a long time. I know that doesnt necesarily make him a the best man for the job but even with what very little i know he sure would be my pick. He has an auro about him that i dont see in any of the other candidates.
    That is what drew me in. How can someone I have never met, or even been close to radiate such feelings of trustworthiness, inspiration, and hope. I am an independent voter. If someone else made me feel that way I would vote for them Dem. Or Rep. I wonder I feel this way and have never met Obama how people around him might feel?

Feb 5, 2008, 05:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx
    Technically, that's not correct. I live in a state where the minority is the majority. Even if that weren't so it's irrelevant, in my formative years I knew I was the minority and felt like the minority. You don't think I felt out of place at times or sensed some racial tension? I did and I didn't like it...then I went right out and had fun with my friends anyway.

I don't doubt it's real to you, but believe it or not what I referred to earlier about the seeming necessity of some to keep the fire stoked makes some of us try harder, too. It's like we have to be overly cautious...when I'd rather just sit down and share a couple of beers and chat football.
    Do you know I have not watched t.v. since the cowboys lost, lol! It is not an issue that slows me down but it is real, on all sides not just black & white. It is not just me, ask 10 people from any race you know and see what they say? Listen I do not care if some is a racist or not, that is up to them, just as long as I am treated the way I present myself. For example> If bush is racist I still respect that he has put blacks into higher position in government than any other president> .

Feb 5, 2008, 05:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kp2171
    am i ready? sure.

period.

i honestly think for the first time we are willing, as a whole, to look past race and gender.

i think if hillary didnt have the clinton baggage, she might not be struggling so much with the dems.

i think if colin powell had run before, he have had support.

i think obama is drawing in support from a lot of areas.

i am "white bread, middle class" based on location, iowa... though i did grow up upper-lower class in a mixed neighborhood, and i had actually more black, hispanic, and laotian friends in the neighborhood than white as a kid...

at the caucauses i saw three young, white, registered republicans switch party affiliation so they could support obama.

im not saying i am for or against him. im saying i think this election year is unique.

if a republican is elected i think it will be because of his positions. if a democrat is elected, female or black, i think it will be mixed... some who agree with what is said, and some who are excited about a historic change, right or wrong.

as for the comment about assassination... i fear that isnt unrealistic. hatred does still exist. all it takes is one person.

part of obama's appeal is that he isnt pushing them/us... it more about we.

i dont care if you agree with him or not... the perception is that he isnt dividing based on his skin.
    What if a republican were to choose colin powell as running mate would that shake things up for the Dems? Wow!
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2008, 05:33 PM
    What if a republican were to choose colin powell as running mate would that shake things up forthe Dems? Wow!

How awesome would that be!! ( Meaning having Colin Powell as a running mate)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Best president [ 20 Answers ]

Who gets your vote as the best U.S. president during the past 50 years? Why?

President [ 10 Answers ]

Is it possible for Bill clinton to become president again?

If you were president [ 9 Answers ]

If you were president what would you do to fix the Untied States problems.

View more questions Search