Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2007, 11:57 AM
    QuoteI will be walking him before I leave to work and I have installed a baby gate to keep him only in the living room when I am gone with him food, bed and water and a selection of toys including a machine which dispenses a kong for him every hour while I am gone. Does this sound like a good set up?end quote. Pookiechi Try that and see how it works, also leave him out a blanket my chi mix gets cold and my mother- in-laws chihuahua does as well and she barks until someone gets her a blanket. I do not have my dogs crate trained either, because they do not tear things up. But my pom mix likes a crate and goes in own her own. As far as getting ready to leave and them going nuts. I would get my keys and just sit down and hold them , while ignoring the dogs. Sometimes I would put on my coat or shoes and do the same thing. When I leave I just leave I do not pet cuddle or or tell them bye. As far as crate training I used to think it was mean, but I have read a lot of advice from LAbman and ruby and have come to the realization that it is better for the dog and safer. If I ever bring another dog into my home they will be crate trained from the start. I just feel that chi/terrier would be to tramuatized due to his past if I tried with him. I am sure that you will get it right, because you are dedicated to your dog and that is the most important thing. Good Luck
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2007, 12:29 PM
    I might not do what you are, but it does sound workable. I seldom crate my dogs when I can watch them. It seems artificial. What you might do as the time to start being away full time approaches, is to absence yourself for longer and longer periods. Take care of things you won't be able to do once working away from home as easily. Take your laptop to Starbucks or the library and work there, leaving the dog alone, so it isn't such a big change when it comes.
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Jul 29, 2007, 04:51 PM
    Hi RubyPittbull-

Thank you for a respectful disagreement. "Dogs are pack animals"... you have that correct. What's normal (and I hope you understand) is that people do leave there dog for at least eight hours plus a day, often longer. Sometimes circumstance are such unless you can afford otherwise. I try to be realistic with my advice and perhaps the owner may not want to take the responsibility or can afford another pet. Another solution is to drop the pet off at a relatives or a friend's house that might also have a pet and see if they can get acquainted. I'm really beginning to wonder about this board. Now if I'm stepping on someone's toes that need a "sticky" endorsement (see above) to get paid for giving advice or wants this board to themselves, my apologies. I thought it was shared freely? I speak from my own personal experiences. Barnes and Nobles, Borders, the public libraries are full of books on pet training and if you have local cable watch the "Dog Whisperer."

Bobby :)
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Jul 29, 2007, 05:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Just because something is commonly done doesn't mean it is right, or even acceptable. It used to normal to leave dogs chained to a dog house. It used to be normal to feed them table scraps. It used to be normal not to spay/neuter them. It used to be normal to let them run loose. I hope nobody considers any of the above acceptable, although all of it is still all too frequently done.

This is quite the tangent! BTW while I have not endorsed table scraps, but what did you think dogs ate before Purina?

Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Leaving a dog outside all day by itself can lead to problems, barking, escaping, destroying the yard, being abused, stolen, or killed, etc.

You mention the backyard as if it's infested with crocodiles. You can make adjustments for having a pet in the backyard and it's not rocket science.

Bobby:)
    amberandfrank Posts: 48, Reputation: 2

Jul 30, 2007, 11:33 AM
    Have you tried peanut butter filled kongs we use them for our dogs and it keeps them occupied and quite calm

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is separation anxiety real? [ 2 Answers ]

My 17 week old Bichon Frise gets so freaked out when he is put in the crate and left alone that it makes him poop. He is given ample opportunity to go before I leave and generally he is only left in the crate for 1 hr a few times a week, other than sleeping. He has learned to be in the crate at...

Separation [ 1 Answers ]

My husband is a Canadian citizen. I am an American. We have been married for about a year but separated for more than half that time because of the immigration laws. We married in the US, but 7 months ago when I went to go meet his parents in Canada we found out he could not come back into the US...

Separation anxiety [ 3 Answers ]

Last year we rescued an abandoned golden retriever. He is a terrible listener and so needy that drives you crazy. We give him lots of attention but now he became so attached to us that every time we let him out to go to the bathroom he thinks he is going to die because he is alone outside. We...

Separation [ 9 Answers ]

Hello I am new to this site. I have made up my mind that my marrige is over. I have been married 5 years. I have 2 children by him and two from a previous relationship, that they call him dad. Out of the 5 years we have been married he has only worked maybe 1yr. He refuses to work or do...

Separation [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm from Massachusetts, and I'm wondering how do I go about getting a separation on my own without a lawyer. Is this even possible? Someone told me it was. Not sure what my rights are here, because he doesn't want a separation and I do. Please advise... Thank you, Shadow

View more questions Search