Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jun 18, 2006, 07:59 AM
    In a free society where we might not want to risk using our jobs for moral statements, we certainly can use the businesses we own for statements. In a capitalist society, it is the right of a business owner to conduct business any way they wish, as long as its within the law of the land. It is the built-in capitalist-based protection of economic survival of the fiittest that prevents a businesses imposing unwanted or unsupported personal views on their customers simply because those customers can either take their trade to the competition or create competition should none or the right kind exist. :p

Where it gets sticky is when business grows to the size of non-competition or when government gets involved and tilts that playing field. It is for this reason that I feel we should be as wise in spending our dollars (since its essentially a vote for whoever you are buying from) as we are in selecting where we work. Its all connected so its good to look closer at what each of us is actually involved in to ensure its what we want. I call that mindful living and it seems too many around me are sleep walking instead! :eek:

Raises my cup of coffee to the interesting thread excon started - cheers!
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Jun 18, 2006, 05:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassie
    So you are saying if you owned your own pharmacy, should you be required to sell all medications. Such as birth control if you do not believe in it. Refusal to sell something because of your beliefs, (something legal of course)
    in a business that sells those products is no different than a certain religion or government pushing their belief system on you. The big question is where is the line drawn between asserting our rights versus infringing on others rights.
    I can't quite make that leap in logic from the original question.

If you OWN a pharmacy--as you stated--and you don't want to sell certain drugs, there's no one there to fire you. Of course, if market demands something you won't sell, you may not be in business long.

If you just WORK for a pharmacy and you refuse to sell the products that the owner wants you to sell, you're fired.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2006, 05:23 PM
    This is the correct answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwind_Dagas
    I can't quite make that leap in logic from the original question.

If you OWN a pharmacy--as you stated--and you don't want to sell certain drugs, there's no one there to fire you. Of course, if market demands something you won't sell, you may not be in business long.

If you just WORK for a pharmacy and you refuse to sell the products that the owner wants you to sell, you're fired.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 18, 2006, 05:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello:

I don't drink coffee. It has caffeine in it. I am opposed to drug use. I work in a coffee shop. Should I be able to refuse to serve coffee to my customers on moral grounds?

excon
    Gosh, I don't drink coffee either, quit 13 years ago. But, I drink fruit tea, take Midol and other over-the counter meds - and they all have caffeine in them. I also hope you don't eat chocolate either, it has a drug in it that makes you high if you eat 100 bars at one sitting. The bittersweet is the strongest.

I hope it's not a religious thing because you are still inhaling the vapors.

So, in essence, I guess we sometimes keep or morals to ourselves, especially if we want to keep our jobs. It's all in our choices.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 18, 2006, 05:57 PM

Can I invite all to my house to continue this debate, please..

Please place your order for beverages when you RSVP.

I just l o v e it!

Enjoyed spending time and reading from all of you on this thread.

This one would take days of joy and laughter in a 'coffee shop' in Amsterdam, Holland...
    ndx Posts: 79, Reputation: 21

Jun 18, 2006, 06:09 PM
    Im sorry, the post is actually quite humourous. In the same way as someone who hates kids working at a play ground would be humourous, I think you should keep your job, and refuse people the sale of coffee. Just for the sake of it. I think you should also buy up the worlds supply off coffee, and then, burn it all in front of people doing an anti coffee dance. Again, just because.

Your post made me smile, I owe you a drink. ;)
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 18, 2006, 06:13 PM
    Pass the pint

Jun 18, 2006, 06:14 PM
    Also, if we didn't have coffee, we wouldn't have the "coffee mug".

And I love mugs. They are the perfect drinking utensil.

Indirectly you don't like mugs. That makes me :(
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 18, 2006, 06:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ndx
    Also, if we didnt have coffee, we wouldn't have the "coffee mug".

And i love mugs. They are the perfect drinking utensil.

Indirectly you dont like mugs. That makes me :(
    Got a question... Does anyone know where the name 'mug' for coffee mug came from? If this came from a copy-cat that switched from beer to coffee, then that's cheating. Not very original at all...

Is this a sign of lack of... or too much?

Jun 18, 2006, 06:37 PM
    Haven't got a clue where the word comes from, however, I like to think it was invented when coffee was, so I can be :( at excon not liking them, and be morally upset at his morals.

Jun 18, 2006, 06:40 PM
    Interesting mug fact.

A mug or coffee mug, sometimes called a beaker in Britain, is a sturdily built type of ceramic cup often used for hot beverages, such as coffee, tea, and hot chocolate. The mug is usually used in less formal settings. In polite society, a tea cup is the preferred method of serving tea and sometimes coffee (then called a coffee cup). Mugs are usually made of porcelain (china) but some are made of Pyrex and some (usually intended for campers) are made of plastic.

Cool. :eek:
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jun 18, 2006, 06:41 PM
    I think this calls for a poll about how many of us drink out of mugs as opposed to cups? LOL

Main Entry: 1mug
    Pronunciation: 'm&g
    Function: noun
    Etymology: origin unknown
    1 : a cylindrical drinking cup
    To a : the face or mouth of a person b : GRIMACE c : MUG SHOT
    3 a chiefly British (1) : FOOL, BLOCKHEAD (2) : a person easily deceived b : PUNK, THUG
    - mug·ful noun

Courtesy of www.m-w.com
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 18, 2006, 06:42 PM
    Gotha, ndx. What type of mugs do you collect?

I favor Garfield, and those that used to anger my boss at work.

I also have mugs of the entire Zodiak in cobalt blue with gold lettering.

Jun 18, 2006, 06:47 PM
    I like those big mugs, those really big mugs. REALLY big ones, the ones that could "look like breasts if they had nipples on".

The pokadot ones are my favourite. They are a pleasure to drink from.

I also like mugs with big handles. A mug has to feel good in your hands, and not dribble when you go to sip.

I don't like cups.

Do you like cups chery?
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 20, 2006, 04:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ndx
    I like those big mugs, those really big mugs. REALLY big ones, the ones that could "look like breasts if they had nipples on".

The pokadot ones are my favourite. They are a pleasure to drink from.

I also like mugs with big handles. A mug has to feel good in your hands, and not dribble when you go to sip.

I dont like cups.

Do you like cups chery?
    I don't use them much, but I collected cups a long time ago in Japan. I have some rare demi-cups with tortoiseshell inside them. Am saving them to pass on to my daughter. The other cups I collect have to have a special style to them to get my interest. Nothing 'plain' for me.
    Stormy69 Posts: 290, Reputation: 98

Jun 20, 2006, 05:24 AM
    I like big cups and I can not lie... Wait how did we get off topic and on to mugs> LOL

Jun 20, 2006, 05:48 AM
    Im sorry, I think it was my fault ¬_¬
    Cassie Posts: 150, Reputation: 46

Jun 20, 2006, 09:37 PM
    Big thick mugs so the coffee stays hotter longer. Especially the ones with those good morning happy sayings on them
    pc0g601 Posts: 4, Reputation: -1

Jun 21, 2006, 04:21 PM
    [QUOTE=excon]Hello:

I don't drink coffee. It has caffeine in it. I am opposed to drug use. I work in a coffee shop. Should I be able to refuse to serve coffee to my customers on moral grounds?

Stop your complaining and find a new job that does not interfere with any of your beliefs.
    Landrail Posts: 10, Reputation: 0

Jul 11, 2006, 12:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello:

excon
    I have an idea. Become a coffee gourmet! Taste any coffee with fantastic taste and you will be the best worker of this shop. I advise to taste Javaberry. Drinking of it is seventh heaven. Complete taste and flavor, complete aftertaste. Taste it and you will change your opinion about coffee. Just taste.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Coffee [ 2 Answers ]

Is it true that coffee is fatteing? A friend of mine says that coffee is not fatteing itself but it slows down metabolism and therefore makes u fat. She reckons tea is the opposite (ie. Speeds up metabolism). My other question is this: I don't like the taste of plain milk so I usually put some...

Coffee Shop [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to start a small coffee shop but I have no idea how to start to find the information I need. Can anyone help to start me on the right path?

Coffee [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I have this question. Is drinking 4 cups of coffee daily bad for your sex.

Tea/coffee [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I just wanted to know some myths about coffee I want you to help me compare coffee with tea , since I have 2 to 3 cups Of either tea or coffee , or both (total) 1) I have a stammering problem , will consuming coffee increase it ? 2) does coffee cause acne , pimples 3) does coffee cause...

View more questions Search