Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Biggie Posts: 99, Reputation: 10

Sep 26, 2007, 04:05 PM
    I'm not married so that isn't an issue.
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

Sep 26, 2007, 04:31 PM
    I think the gathering concept of church is a good idea. Humans originally lived in tribes of about 150 people. A church gives you a tribe, it a way to deal with the faceless, nameless thousands we see in our life. Also 150 people may not sound like a lot but an extra 150 people can be thousands of extra level 2 and 3 contacts. The chances of you finding someone who wants your services, goods or friendship greatly increases with that extra 150 people. Dealing with people is just something you have to do, you need to address the issues with why you don't like being around people and well a church is a good place to start.
    silentrascal Posts: 194, Reputation: -2
    -

Oct 19, 2007, 04:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie
    I can see why most people go to church. They like to be amongst fellow believers and fellowship with them. I've been a Christian for quite some time, but have never been one to attend church. I haven't attended since the late 1980s. I'm a single guy that doesn't like to be around people, no matter what the circumstances are. People tell me that I need to find a good church to go to. I just don't see the point. I'm saved and that's what really matters in the end. I'll be judged on my faith and acceptance of Jesus Christ, not some building I went to every Sunday.
    The Bible lets us know the benefits of attending services as opposed to trying to serve God from home. Just turn to Hebrews 10:24, 25. We're encouraged by the Apostle Paul to not forsake the gathering of ourselves together, but continue to meet with one another regularly. It's at these congregation meetings that we're spiritually encouraged through Bible discourses and a consideration of the Bible itself and where we are able to strengthen our fellow worshipers and be strengthened by them. With Satan roving about the earth "like a roaring lion seeking to devour someone" and our living "in the last days" with its "critical times", it's more imperative than ever that we don't shut ourselves away from meeting with the congregation or by being able to offer encouragement and upbuilding association to our fellow believers.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2007, 03:04 PM
    It is important for a Christian to attend regular services in order to learn from the sermons!

It is rather grandiose to think that one has all the good answers inside one's head without lots of input from expert outside sources, including the pastor! What? Born again, that's the end? It is just the *beginning* of your walk with Christ. :)
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Oct 19, 2007, 05:32 PM
    Several good answers here for attending and being a part of a church. May I present one not yet mentioned? Just before Jesus went back to the Father, He commissioned His followers to go everywhere and carry the Gospel to the whole world. This is a team effort that is difficult to impossible without the support of other believers. When we support a church that is missions minded, we help obey that commission. Every Christian should realize that they must either go or send. If not, we will be found to be an unfaithful servant, and that is not what I want to be.
    savedsinner7 Posts: 412, Reputation: 52

Oct 20, 2007, 02:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie
    I can see why most people go to church. They like to be amongst fellow believers and fellowship with them. I've been a Christian for quite some time, but have never been one to attend church. I haven't attended since the late 1980s. I'm a single guy that doesn't like to be around people, no matter what the circumstances are. People tell me that I need to find a good church to go to. I just don't see the point. I'm saved and that's what really matters in the end. I'll be judged on my faith and acceptance of Jesus Christ, not some building I went to every Sunday.
    Psalm 104:28
    What You give them they gather in;You open Your hand, they are filled with good.
    Isaiah 40:11
    He will feed His flock like a shepherd; He will gather the lambs with His arm, And carry them in His bosom, And gently lead those who are with young.
    Isaiah 43:9
    Let all the nations be gathered together, And let the people be assembled. Who among them can declare this, And show us former things? Let them bring out their witnesses, that they may be justified; Or let them hear and say, “It is truth.”
    Matthew 18:20
    For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.”
    Acts 14:27
    Now when they had come and gathered the church together, they reported all that God had done with them, and that He had opened the door of faith to the Gentiles.

We are commanded by the LORD to do so.
    Onan Posts: 55, Reputation: 4

Oct 21, 2007, 09:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux
    It is important for a Christian to attend regular services in order to learn from the sermons!
    What can we learn from a sermon that we can't learn from reading the Bible ourselves?
    RustyFairmount Posts: 165, Reputation: 40

Oct 26, 2007, 07:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Onan
    What can we learn from a sermon that we can't learn from reading the Bible ourselves??
    Everything! Listening to the sermons from people who have dedicated their lives to religious study can be fantastic. At our church, we have what we call Monsignor Moments. That's when our Monsignor is giving his sermon and touches on a point that makes you cry. He helps relate the right scripture to current events just the right way. You cannot, no matter how hard you try, get that by yourself.

I once heard someone say: Going to church does not make you Christian any more than going to a garage makes you a car.

The point being: How we choose to lives is more important than going to church. But it can add a huge-huge value if you let it.
    sncube Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2011, 07:12 AM

You disconnect yourself from the body of Christ(fellow brethren)the devil will devour you.

Sidumiso
    Riot Posts: 130, Reputation: 29

May 16, 2011, 06:33 AM
    Here is a story that's relevant:

A guy stops going to church and several weeks later his pastor visits him. They both sit by a fire in the guys house. The pastor gets an iron rod and pulls one of the coals from the fire. Soon the coal turns from being red hot and burning to being cold and black. He puts the coal back on the fire with the rest and again it heats up and burns a bright orange.

You are apart of christs church, he is the head, his people are the body. What happens when you cut off part of a body? It affects it. No matter how big or small, or "important" each part of the body plays a role.
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2011, 08:01 PM
    An answer from recent experience:

I've been out of the church scene for some time, mostly because I've been traveling a lot with my wife. So I haven't had any real connection with other Christians since I landed in Seattle.

Then my wife moved out and filed for divorce.

My life has pretty well fallen apart. You can bet I'm feeling that lack of connection with other believers right now! I'm sort of scrambling to find something, because there's a big hole in my life. I NEED that support system, prayer backing and just somebody to talk to. The sense of God's presence that can be felt in a good worship service is essential in a time like this. Those are just a few advantages to being part of a church, but just attending once a week isn't going to do it. Being part of a church means getting involved, getting to know people outside of Sunday service, and opening up to other believers in a way that can be, frankly, scary.

You can "get along" without being connected to a church as long as things are going well. When life turns to crap, you'll be glad you've got those other believers in your corner! Start building that support NOW.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Advantage and disadvantage [ 4 Answers ]

I am doing an assignment on unions. What are some advantages of being in a union? And What are some disadvantages of being in a union?

Taken advantage of [ 7 Answers ]

I am a bisexual female, and I have many problems but one of the most frequent and hurtful problems is that I am always getting taken advantage of by guys. I like talking, I like experimenting, I like being different and actually listening to what they have to say, and so far that hasn't worked for...

Why do Union members vote for candidates that opposed the Border Fence? [ 5 Answers ]

I'm curious. It seems as if the same politicians that want amnesty for illegals seem to be endorsed by the unions. It doesn't make sense. Those same illegals would soon take their jobs. Politicians seem to have taken the unions for granted. So my question is : Why do Union members vote for...

View more questions Search