Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2008, 03:38 AM
    NK

Why would Obama choose the relatively unknown Huffpo web site to publish this instead of hs favorite MSM publication the NY Slimes ? Barack Obama: On My Faith and My Church - Politics on The Huffington Post

Basically Obama 1st says he was not present at any of the many controversial sermons (extremely doubtful and I'd be willing to bet a video is going to emerge where Obama is present during one of these rambling hate filled sermons) .Even if he wasn't present then how is it that he did not know about the Rev's sermons and their content ?

Then he says that he did not feel it appropriate to leave the church since the Rev married them and baptised his children. If that is the case then it is a lie for him to say he was not aware of the Rev's racist and hate America comments.

And I can't help but wonder what his white mother thinks of the "it's all whitey's fault "rhetoric ?

He then says that now that the Rev is retired he looks forward to continuing his relationship with the church. But the church's philosophy is there for all to see regardless of who the pastor is. Obama needs to let the public know if he believes in the 'black liberation theology 'and what it means to him.

I also wonder about the media coverup of this . Surely they knew about the Rev and his Church of hate . Why are they now only vetting Obama after he has all but locked up the nomination ? We were posting the screed at the churches web site weeks ago here .
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2008, 05:18 AM
    Yes, Obama finally distanced himself from Wright but as I pointed out earlier MSNBC reports "The Obama campaign says they have no plans to ask the Rev. Jeremiah Wright to step down from a campaign spiritual advisory committee." Why not? If he disagrees with his comments that much, why not?

In his post on Huffpo he says:

Because these particular statements by Rev. Wright are so contrary to my own life and beliefs, a number of people have legitimately raised questions about the nature of my relationship with Rev. Wright and my membership in the church
    Really? Those statements are so contrary to his beliefs? Rich Lowry notes this passage from Obama's book, "Dreams of My Father":

The title of Reverend Wright’s sermon that morning was “The Audacity of Hope.” He began with a passage from the Book of Samuel—the story of Hannah, who, barren and taunted by her rivals, had wept and shaken in prayer before her God. The story reminded him, he said, of a sermon a fellow pastor had preached at a conference some years before, in which the pastor described going to a museum and being confronted by a painting title Hope.

“The painting depicts a harpist,” Reverend Wright explained, “a woman who at first glance appears to be sitting atop a great mountain. Until you take a closer look and see that the woman is bruised and bloodied, dressed in tattered rags, the harp reduced to a single frayed string. Your eye is then drawn down to the scene below, down to the valley below, where everywhere are the ravages of famine, the drumbeat of war, a world groaning under strife and deprivation.

“It is this world, a world where cruise ships throw away more food in a day than most residents of Port-au-Prince see in a year, where white folks’ greed runs a world in need, apartheid in one hemisphere, apathy in another hemisphere…That’s the world! On which hope sits!”

And so it went, a meditation on a fallen world. While the boys next to me doodled on their church bulletin, Reverend Wright spoke of Sharpsville and Hiroshima, the callousness of policy makers in the White House and in the State House. As the sermon unfolded, though, the stories of strife became more prosaic, the pain more immediate. The reverend spoke of the hardship that the congregation would face tomorrow, the pain of those far from the mountaintop, worrying about paying the light bill…
    Yeah, Obama is just now learning about the garbage the man preaches.
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2008, 05:24 AM
    Steve a morning update is that the Rev has stepped down from the advisory committee .
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2008, 09:06 AM
    I would just remind you Tom that much of the Ugly stuff that is voiced by Obama's mentor about America is proudly and openly expressed opinion, since the mid-1980s, of a majority of the vocal members of the Democratic Party.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2008, 12:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    Steve a morning update is that the Rev has stepped down from the advisory committee .
    Yep, he did step down. I don't think all the questions have begun to be answered though. Think maybe 20 years of being under Wright's pastoral leadership is why Michelle could only recently find something to be proud of America for??
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2008, 05:11 PM
    He says he is an uncle he does not always agree with
    But he also claims he never heard the racist anti American stuff either.

I DID hear Obama say about a month or two ago something about if and when he beats Hillary he WILL wear the American flag pin and pledge allegiance to the flag.
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Mar 15, 2008, 07:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx
    Bobby, I got no love for Hagee, but would you compare Wright's nonsense to Hagee's? Oh yeah, and Wright is on Obama's African American Religious Leadership Committee. Doing anything or not as the campaign says, is that what you want on your campaign? Does that not deserve scrutiny?

As many of you know, with perhaps for the exception of excon whom also is Jewish and active on political discussions, I see Christianity from a bit different perspective. In the case of Wright, a Democratic supporter of Obama with his tangent expressed extreme views based on Black theology, or Hagee, a Republican endorser of McCain and bigamist that sees Protestants as coming out of a whore, whom he thinks is the Catholic church on it's way to hell, I understand both to be strayed religious apostates. More-so problematic, concerning humanity, they miss the overall picture. To me, there is no difference between a "Wright" claimed Christianity and "Hagee" Christianity. To be perfectly straight, Obama, Oprah, and whomever else attends the retired Wright's church should withdraw membership. Same for McCain, he should never been seen at Hagee's church. I could go on to name a few more Christian ministries with rather extreme views that have taken side with McCain, but I think I've made my point. Again no disrespect to Christians, but all these radical styled views make little sense to me in the political realm.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 15, 2008, 08:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BABRAM
    To be perfectly straight, Obama, Oprah, and whomever else attends the retired Wright's church should withdraw membership.
    The problem isn't the church; the problem is the minister. In his senior years, close to retirement, he holds back less and less of his personal philosophy. Obama says he never heard that kind of rhetoric when in attendance at that church. Had he heard such things, he says he would have challenged his pastor.

Wright will soon retire and a new pastor will take over. Things will change, and sermons will be different. As a pastor's daughter, I know that to be true.

Mar 15, 2008, 08:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    The problem isn't the church; the problem is the minister. In his senior years, close to retirement, he holds back less and less of his personal philosophy. Obama says he never heard that kind of rhetoric when in attendance at that church. Had he heard such things, he says he would have challenged his pastor.

Wright will soon retire and a new pastor will take over. Things will change, and sermons will be different. As a pastor's daughter, I know that to be true.
    Yes. To clarify: I should say "Wright's" church, or "Hagee's" church. I'm demonstrating similarities between their views, which I see both as extreme.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 15, 2008, 08:55 PM
    Politics in America, is about slinging mud to see what sticks, and spinning anything to your advantage. As the election gets closer, every pimple not covered by makeup, will be counted. What's new?
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2008, 04:43 PM
    What exactly is it that offends so much in Wrights comments?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 16, 2008, 04:52 PM
    Good point, Skell. I wonder if Rev. Wright has ever mentioned Hurricane Katrina and what happened to the black population. He would have had a field day with that one.

Mar 16, 2008, 05:20 PM
    Wright, an African-American, displays raw emotion, at times lacking tact, and expresses himself using extreme remarks. For example: "G-d damn America" which he implicates judgement upon the United States for misdeeds. In this case the same has been said numerous times by Caucasian doomsday charismatic styled evangelists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skell
    Wright, however advocates a Black Theology. A theology, that was a counter to what I'd describe as hundreds of years of White theology. This stems from a time when slavery was the norm for parts of the US, and black men begin to question what kind of Christians were white slave owners that taught all men were created equal? From this, today, the message still carries liberal implications on the political front. Quite frankly, Black Theology, is mostly misunderstood by many Caucasian nominal Christians and is seen by them, as threatening. Many other churches, mostly with African-American members, also teach Black Theology with much less consequence. Wright though, has adjoined his own opinion taking it at times to an extreme. This is why Obama has said on several occasions, contrary to Republican verbiages and in-spite of their blatant deafness, that he does not agree with the Rev Wright on several of his remarks. Senator Obama, does not solicit Wright for his campaigning advice nor does he give him that exclusive privilege. Obama came out of a family, biological father's side, of partial Muslim heritage to embrace Christianity. He is not a practitioner of Islam, nor is he a Muslim. Wright was one the few that took notice to give Obama a basic Christian understanding of the religion. Obama respected the man's passion and effort like an uncle, although he doesn't agree with some of his views. Other African-American celebrities such Oprah, attend service at Wrights church. I hope this helps.
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2008, 04:22 AM
    He said that the government gives blacks drugs and then imprisons them for it

He said the US created the AIDS virus and gave it to the blacks

He said the attacks on 9-11 were the chickens coming home to roost

These are just the tip of the iceberg . Most of the sermons I've heard condemn white "middleclassness" in a derogatory manner; frequently mentions "white arrogance" and the "oppression" of African-Americans today; and has referred to "this racist United States of America." or the "United States of White America." If Obama agrees with these sentiments he should say so and prove he is not the uniter he pretends to be . If not he should explain why he sat in the church for 20 years "nodding his head in agreement " while the Rev Wright spewed his hate .
    Expert

Mar 17, 2008, 04:41 AM
    He said that the government gives blacks drugs and then imprisons them for it
    That happens to be absolutely true, and if you check your history, specifically BushI, Ollie North And Gen. Noriega, of Panama, that's exactly what you will find, all in the name of stopping communism.
    He said the attacks on 9-11 were the chickens coming home to roost
    Funny how we forget the Shah of Iran, and who put Saddam in power, and how when oil was discovered in the middle east, Britain and The U.S. always had a puppet regime going for a friendly enroad to oil deals. The people there have been exploited for a long time by American, and British oil moguls, and nothing has changed. If you really look that's what this current war is all about, as BushII, was tired of Saddam cutting deals under the table with France, Russia, and China.
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2008, 04:43 AM
    I know you agree with these comments . The question is does Obama ?
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2008, 04:45 AM
    Why would Americans want to turn their country over to a candidate who attends a separatist church that views America with suspicion if not contempt? Look at the church's official literature: it is openly separatist, mirroring "separate but equal" almost perfectly.would America vote for a White candidate that had such views ?
    Expert

Mar 17, 2008, 04:53 AM
    These are just the tip of the iceberg . Most of the sermons I've heard condemn white "middleclassness" in a derogatory manner; frequently mentions "white arrogance" and the "oppression" of African-Americans today; and has referred to "this racist United States of America." or the "United States of White America."
    Visit a few black churches yourself, and see that more than God gets talked about, what would you expect from former slaves, that still have to deal with a blind eye, from the former masters? Most older blacks, from that civil rights era, talk the same way.
    If Obama agrees with these sentiments he should say so and prove he is not the uniter he pretends to be . If not he should explain why he sat in the church for 20 years "nodding his head in agreement " while the Rev Wright spewed his hate .
    Typical election politics, the mans position is well known by now, and any more attempts to put him as some radical, is mudslinging to see what sticks. Rev Wright has been villified enough, and Obama has stated his case. Publicly and has maintained his position in all of this from the start. Is that Hillary sitting in the corner, with her fingers crossed??
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2008, 05:05 AM
    I can't believe he is getting a pass on this ;Again ;it is useful to just reverse the words black and white. Would a white candidate who went to a white separatist church get the same pass as you are willing to give Obama . I think not .

Mar 17, 2008, 05:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    If Obama agrees with these sentiments he should say so and prove he is not the uniter he pretends to be . If not he should explain why he sat in the church for 20 years "nodding his head in agreement " while the Rev Wright spewed his hate .

This is why Obama has said on several occasions, contrary to Republican verbiages and in-spite of their blatant deafness, that he does not agree with the Rev Wright on several of his remarks. Senator Obama, does not solicit Wright for his campaigning advice nor does he give him that exclusive privilege. I'm still waiting for McCain to distance himself from Hagee and some other extreme positioned evangelists that have endorsed and supports him. Think that announcement is coming anytime soon? Don't hold your breath on it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I started my period 2 days after unprotected sex, It only lasted 2 1/2 days. [ 6 Answers ]

I know I've already asked if I could be pregnant because I started my period only 2 days after having sex. I've gotten feed back and that reassured me, but the weird thing is my period only lasted 2 days. I started on Tuesday morning and by late thursdy night I was already finished, which isn't...

B1 (75 days) + L1 (135 Days) + Family = Filing Staus? [ 7 Answers ]

I came to US on L1 visa (Company Transfer) with my wife (non-working) and son (Infant) on L2 Visa on Aug, 11 2007. Located in Dallas/Tx with no state tax and getting US salary with tax witholding based on M5 status. My total stay in L1 visa is <183, but stayed on B1 Visa in Feb-May 2007 for...

14 days late, then it only lasts for 3 days. [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, I was 14 days late with my period I was supposed to have gotten it on the 31st of January, but I didn't get anything until the 14th of this month.. Im still feeling strange... and concerend... but I have heard that its still possible that you get your period with still being pregnant. I know...

Need to give 60 days notice, but rent is increasing in thirty days [ 3 Answers ]

I have rented the condo I am in now for over two years. After the initial lease term of one year, I went on a month-to-month basis. I am required to give 60 days notice prior to vacating the property. My landlord notified me at the end of this month (february) that the rent would be...

View more questions Search