Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Just Looking Posts: 1,610, Reputation: 480
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2010, 02:52 AM
    OK, so armless man severs his own arm. He sends it to man 1 and instructs him to send it along to man 2. But man 2 is not instructed to bury it? There is nothing in the solution that tells me man 2 was instructed to bury it.

Have I got that right? Yes

Did man 2 just bury it of his own free will then? That's how I read it. I don't see anything special in the act of burying the arm, except that stinky mess thing. :p

Did anything relevant happen between when man 1 got the arm and when he sent it to man 2? No

Did anything relevant happen between when man 2 got the arm and when he buried it? No

I admit I'm completely stumped at this point. But you're off in bed, so I'll do something else and think upon it a while Well, as usual, I'm awake for a while now.
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2010, 02:56 AM
    I was asleep when all went fast... and had I not stayed at home today, it'd be already probably solved by the time I come :eek: We were waiting for you, Unky. ;)

Was the arm infected by something? No

Is the job of Man 1 relevant? No- Is he a physicist? No- Is he a morgue doctor? No ('medecin legiste'... I forgot the technical name if that's not it)

Was the arm carrying some disease? No

Was it dangerous? No

Was the 'armless' man someone who worked with biohazards? No- Some biological experiments? No- Was he a volunteer for drug testing? No
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2010, 02:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by morgaine300 View Post
    Yea!, someone else is here. I ran out of ideas and am just asking junk for the sake of asking.

And it's a mortician. ;) (A little similar to Morticia, but not quite the same.)

Not at the rate we're going.
    Thanks for doing the summary. I like the way you arranged it.

Yeah, this one is difficult. I thought so, but every time you ask a question - even when you get a No - I'm thinking... oh, she'll get it. I'm glad it's not too easy. :)
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2010, 03:18 AM

Hm... okay.

Would the armless man die of natural causes if he had not sever his arm?
    Would someone kill him if he had not sever his arm?

Was the arm buried because it was then useless?

Did Man 1 expect the arm to be as he examined it?

Is there anything abnormal about the arm besides having been severed?

Did Man 2 examine the arm in the same way as Man 1 did?
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2010, 03:22 AM
    Would the armless man die of natural causes if he had not sever his arm? No

Would someone kill him if he had not sever his arm? I don't think so, but it is in the realm of possibilities.

Was the arm buried because it was then useless? I think that must be true.

Did Man 1 expect the arm to be as he examined it? Yes

Is there anything abnormal about the arm besides having been severed? No

Did Man 2 examine the arm in the same way as Man 1 did? Yes, though examine might be a strong word.
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2010, 03:25 AM

Would the armless man die of natural causes if he had not sever his arm? No

Unky, I think I may have read this question wrong. There was nothing physically about the arm that would have killed him - that is not why he severed it. He would not have died of natural causes if the arm was left on until he was old. I don't know how old he is now.
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2010, 03:33 AM

I was trying to find out why it was severed, as it hasn't been established yet. And I still have no clue as to the reason behind it... I was thinking as about an infection, or something of the sort.

Was the armless man ill in any relevant way?
    Did the armless man want to sever his arm? Was he forced to?
    Did the armless man want to know if he could have his arm attacked to him again?
    Did the armless man got his arm severed at work? At home? Another relevant place?

Ok, I need to go now. See you later :)
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2010, 03:39 AM
    I was trying to find out why it was severed, as it hasn't been established yet. And I still have no clue as to the reason behind it... I was thinking as about an infection, or something of the sort.

Was the armless man ill in any relevant way? No

Did the armless man want to sever his arm? Was he forced to? Hmmm ... how do I answer this? I would say he did it of his own free will, but some more questions along this line may help you.

Did the armless man want to know if he could have his arm attacked to him again? No, he didn't want to have it attached again.

Did the armless man got his arm severed at work? At home? Another relevant place? Where he got his arm severed is not relevant.

Ok, I need to go now. See you later :) Okay. Have a good day.
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2010, 03:46 AM

I don't think this point is important, but I was just reading over the solution again. At first I thought the armless man severed his arm, but the solution reads that he had it amputated. Slight difference - he had it done vs his doing it himself. Could you even do it yourself?

Did the armless man want to sever his arm? Was he forced to? Hmmm ... how do I answer this? I would say he did it of his own free will, but some more questions along this line may help you.
    I'm a little troubled about how I answered this - definitely needs more questions.
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Sep 21, 2010, 04:19 AM

Did man 2 have the normal number of body parts?
    Did man 3?
    Was man 1 paid to have his arm removed?
    Was man 1 blackmailed to have his arm removed?
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2010, 04:22 AM
    QLP - We are identifying the men as:

Man 1 - first man to receive the arm
    Man 2 - second man to receive the arm
    Man 3 - We've been calling him the armless man.

Can you re-ask your questions based on this? You've got some insightful questions here.

Okay, I am really tired again, so back to bed. I'll be on in a couple of hours.
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Sep 21, 2010, 04:48 AM

Sorry, ok:

Did man 1 have the normal number of body parts?
    Did man 2?
    Was man 3 paid to have his arm removed?
    Was man 3 blackmailed to have his arm removed?
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2010, 05:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by QLP View Post
    Sorry, ok:

Did man 1 have the normal number of body parts? No
    Did man 2? No
    Was man 3 paid to have his arm removed? No
    Was man 3 blackmailed to have his arm removed? No
    Turns out I still can't sleep. It's going to be a long day. :(
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Sep 21, 2010, 05:43 AM

Were Man 1 and Man 2 also one-armed?

Were all three men together when both Man 1 and Man 2 lost their arm?

Were they, in fact, in a shipwreck (or similar) and cut one arm off each man for food, but were rescued before needing to do so by the third man? Did he send/sacrifice his arm because their arm sacrifices kept all three of them alive? Was the examination simply to verify that the arm came from Man 3?

(yeah, I know--I went weird again. But that scenario popped into my head, and I had to go with it)
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2010, 08:32 AM

Would Man 3 gain anything in having his arm amputated?
    Would any of Man 1 or Man 2 benefit it?
    Was Man 3 amputated as a form of punishment?
    Does Man 1 usually examine body parts of people?
    Has Man 2 ever done similar things before? (ie received, examine and buried body parts)
    Is Man 3 kept captive?
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2010, 08:39 AM
    Were Man 1 and Man 2 also one-armed? Yes

Were all three men together when both Man 1 and Man 2 lost their arm? Yes

Were they, in fact, in a shipwreck (or similar) and cut one arm off each man for food, but were rescued before needing to do so by the third man? Did he send/sacrifice his arm because their arm sacrifices kept all three of them alive? Was the examination simply to verify that the arm came from Man 3? Yes, Yes, Yes

(yeah, I know--I went weird again. But that scenario popped into my head, and I had to go with it) Well, this time you got it. I think I even referred to the puzzle as weird.
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2010, 08:43 AM

Wow, good job Synn! :)
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2010, 08:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown008 View Post
    Would Man 3 gain anything in having his arm amputated? Not really - except he kept his word.

Would any of Man 1 or Man 2 benefit it? Only in the sense they were getting what Man 3 sweared by oath to do.

Was Man 3 amputated as a form of punishment? No

Does Man 1 usually examine body parts of people? Haha - so many things I could say, but no.

Has Man 2 ever done similar things before? (ie received, examine and buried body parts) No

Is Man 3 kept captive? No
    Synnen got it, but I'll answer these anyway. I'm glad in that your questions were kind of hard to answer, but now that you know the puzzle they make sense.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Sep 21, 2010, 08:44 AM

It disturbs me a lot when some of the weird things that come to me turn out to be the answer... I mean, really... what does that say about me?
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2010, 08:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    It disturbs me a lot when some of the weird things that come to me turn out to be the answer...I mean, really...what does that say about me?
    We won't tell anyone. :p Oh wait... I know... it's just because we've done a few of these puzzles and we know they are strange. Nothing to do with your mind at all.

The official solution:
    The three men had been stranded on a desert island. Desperate for food, they had agreed to amputate their left arms in order to eat them. They swore an oath that each would have his left arm cut off. One of them was a doctor and he cut the arms off his two companions. They were then rescued. But his oath was still binding so he later had to have his arm amputated and sent to his colleagues.

This is often told with a further twist whereby a doctor pays a tramp a large sum in order to amputate the tramp's arm which the doctor then sends to another man who inspects it etc. This variation can make for a long night of questioning!

Can you imagine how much tougher that variation would be?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

And yet another lateral thinking puzzle [ 72 Answers ]

Deep in the forest was found the body of a man who was wearing only swimming trunks, snorkel and facemask. The nearest lake was 8 miles away and the sea was 100 miles away. How had he died? I'm new at this, so we'll see how it goes. I think it is a lot easier than Morgaine's train puzzle :)

How about some MORE lateral thinking puzzles! [ 213 Answers ]

OK, Adam wants more puzzles. :D OK, first one is not really the yes/no question type. It is a lateral thinking puzzle, but more of a riddle and you just need to try to think of the scenario. There may be more than one logical explanation, but you have to guess the right one. A woman has...

New Lateral Thinking Puzzle [ 69 Answers ]

I decided to start a new thread cause ones that get really, really long start making me nutso after a while. This one shouldn't be as difficult as the albatross one was. (But I didn't say it was easy.) I flipped the tent flap open and surveyed the scene. On the floor, in the center of the...

Lateral Thinking Puzzle (Restaurant) [ 174 Answers ]

I brought this idea up on a different thread and a few said they were game, but anyone who cares to participate can. (Since this is games, is it OK to post it here, or should this move to the lounge or something?) The idea is that a scenario is given with very little detail, just a little...

Lateral knee pain [ 2 Answers ]

recently my dad exercised on the elipitical for 40 minutes and following this particular exercise session felt extreme knee pain when kneeling/squatting. On a scale of 0-10 (0=no pain/10=excruiating pain) he said the pain was about an 8 or a 9. the pain is sharp and increases so that its almost...

View more questions Search