Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2007, 03:20 AM
    Comments on this post
    firmbeliever agrees: Clough, keep writing... I love to read everything on this thread.. such beautiful people.
    Thanks so much for the compliment, firmbeliever!

Are you into music? If so, what kind or kinds, please?
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2007, 03:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    Comments on this post

Thanks so much for the compliment, firmbeliever!

Are you into music? If so, what kind or kinds, please?
    I mostly like nasheeds now(it is religious type songs with out music).

I used to listen to music before... I used to like oldies like Vincent,Donna,Evergreen tree,Bachelor boy... but I used to listen to all types,but mostly those which had deep meaning words in them(nothing vulgar or loud ever took my fancy even then).
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2007, 04:02 AM
    Do you like classical music? Maybe the kinds that don't have any words? I ask about classical music in the broad sense of the term. There are many kinds of music that we call classical.

I am asking because I am thinking about starting a new thread that has to do with classical music, which would include the various types/genres of music from the periods that most people would include under the term "classical" such as early, renaissance, baroque, classical, romantic, twentieth century, and also these other types of music: jazz, folk, maybe some country, blue grass, music in liturgical or other types of churches, etc. But, no rock styles though. Unless the rock style overlaps with one of the above, such as country or jazz.

I am going to be looking for people who might play and/or appreciate the sounds of the following acoustic instruments: guitar, banjo, harmonica, violin, viola, violoncello, string bass, flute, recorder, keyed zither, piano, pipe organ (or, electronic, but as it is used for nightclub or church purposes), trumpet, cornet, oboe, bassoon, French horn, etc. I think that you might get might my point by the list of the instruments.

What I will be looking for are those people who perform and/or appreciate music that is primarily done on the acoustic instruments mentioned above, and also by singing. Discussion as to the concerts that people have attended for those types of music and also what books or pieces they might be playing could also become part of the conversations in the thread.

Just trying to get a "feel" as to who might appreciate that type of thread. I thought that you might be a likely candidate.

I haven't thought of a title yet. Am still working on it.
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2007, 04:24 AM
    Just trying to get a "feel" as to who might appreciate that type of thread. I thought that you might be a likely candidate.

I haven't thought of a title yet. Am still working on it.
    Craig,
    Do start a thread, I am sure there are a lot of people who likes music whether classical or not.

I might not be in there much,but I will surely pop in even if I don't say anything.
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2007, 04:26 AM
    I'm just curious, firmbeliever. Do you play a musical instrument? Do you sing? Just wondering...
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2007, 04:32 AM
    Never played any instruments... singing is not my forte.:)

But I do love nature's sounds
    Like the waves caressing the beach, wind rustling leaves, bird songs, raindrops...
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2007, 05:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever
    Never played any instruments...singing is not my forte.:)

But I do love nature's sounds
    like the waves caressing the beach, wind rustling leaves, bird songs, raindrops....
    Then I think that I will include such a thing in the thread. Thank you for reminding me of the sounds of nature.

Are you by any chance into the type of music that might be called "New Age?"
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2007, 05:22 AM
    Then I think that I will include such a thing in the thread. Thank you for reminding me of the sounds of nature.

Are you by any chance into the type of music that might be called "New Age?"
    I don't know what that means, so I guess I am not:)
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2007, 05:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever
    I dont know what that means, so I guess I am not:)
    We just might not be on the same page here, firm. Where do you live, please?
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2007, 07:49 PM
    By-the-way, I just added you to my Buddy List, jrebel7!
    Thank you Clough! Rightbackatcha!! :)
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2007, 11:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jrebel7
    Hey there Soul Sister!!! You are just a hoot! I love your phraseology! Yep, that was one step we missed! I bet that will make a huge difference. I wondered why I couldn't get the letters to all be dark or all be light. I haven't had a chance to go in and try this with this new information but just know I could not have put anything on there without your first set of instructions, so Didi, you did real good!!! :) It is just uncanny the similarities isn't it??? I was hoping to see more of your art pieces. How about some of the step stools???

I sure hope your health issues get better. Take care of you! I will keep checking for more posts of your work throughout the week.
    Jan
    Oh, by the way, when I referred to the colour black for the text I meant that both foreground and background colours should match. You can use black, white, grey... whatever colour you want. Just make sure that it's the same one. (I use darker colours for lighter graphics and vice versa.)

The only step stool I have kept is very, very old and was one of my first, so really isn't very good. My deceased husband and I perfected a technique, but I haven't made it past cutting the wood since he passed away. All of my step stools were dated and numbered and given as gifts to the eldest 'new' children in the family for keepsakes.

As for seeing more of my art... well, I am ashamed to say this, but as far as paintings go, there are no more. I have only painted 3. Photography has been my focus, I guess, and crafting time has been limited. I will post my most recent crafting result later, though, if the photos turned out okay. I was telling Clough that I am really getting in the frame of mind for another painting, perhaps. I have been studying all the pencil drawings on here trying to pick up some ideas. I am TOTALLY not artistically inclined, really. I think the ones I have posted were just (in the words of Bob Ross) "happy little mistakes". Heehee. I can visualize what I want to do, but I have no idea how to get it there! However, I may just try one in the next month or so.

I can't get over how life-like your eyes and faces in general are! The one that you first posted, I think... the one with the eyes that follow you around. I would love to read (even privately) your 'story' on him. I have a strong urge to write a poem to accompany the picture.

I tend to be more of a thinker than artistic, so I write poetry, short stories and, I am presently working on a book about my experiences during my husband's illness and death. Actually, I'm procrastinating it. Sigh... I have most of it written, in fact, and I started the process to look for an agent but haven't followed through. I've heard that I have a better chance of having it published if I have one.

Anyhow, will try to post a photo or two later.

Hugs, Didi
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2007, 05:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by grammadidi
    Oh, by the way, when I referred to the colour black for the text I meant that both foreground and background colours should match. You can use black, white, grey... whatever colour you want. Just make sure that it's the same one. (I use darker colours for lighter graphics and vice versa.)

The only step stool I have kept is very, very old and was one of my first, so really isn't very good. My deceased husband and I perfected a technique, but I haven't made it past cutting the wood since he passed away. All of my step stools were dated and numbered and given as gifts to the eldest 'new' children in the family for keepsakes.

As for seeing more of my art... well, I am ashamed to say this, but as far as paintings go, there are no more. I have only painted 3. Photography has been my focus, I guess, and crafting time has been limited. I will post my most recent crafting result later, though, if the photos turned out okay. I was telling Clough that I am really getting in the frame of mind for another painting, perhaps. I have been studying all the pencil drawings on here trying to pick up some ideas. I am TOTALLY not artistically inclined, really. I think the ones I have posted were just (in the words of Bob Ross) "happy little mistakes". Heehee. I can visualize what I want to do, but I have no idea how to get it there! However, I may just try one in the next month or so.

I can't get over how life-like your eyes and faces in general are! The one that you first posted, I think... the one with the eyes that follow you around. I would love to read (even privately) your 'story' on him. I have a strong urge to write a poem to accompany the picture.

I tend to be more of a thinker than artistic, so I write poetry, short stories and, I am presently working on a book about my experiences during my husband's illness and death. Actually, I'm procrastinating it. Sigh... I have most of it written, in fact, and I started the process to look for an agent but haven't followed through. I've heard that I have a better chance of having it published if I have one.

Anyhow, will try to post a photo or two later.

Hugs, Didi
    Didi, I can't express to you how nice it was to see a post from you this evening. I had a long hard day, along with a migraine (another similarity-although mine are not cluster and I rarely have them but when I do... not fun) I had to be in Tulsa most of the day today at a doctor's appt. then another errand and we just got home a bit ago. My sister-in-law has cancer in the thyroid bed and it is aggressively active so when we got in, I got a report from her about her doctor's visit from today.

I appreciate the extra tips on the copyright image. I have not had time to get into the program since hearing from you about it the other day.

There are so many more paintings yet to come from you. You mentioned coming out of the darkness. Painting is such great therapy! Could you photograph the step-stools you gave as gifts maybe? I borrowed a drawing that a doctor in town had of mine for a show one time. I don't have prints of it just a photo. The shows I do now have to have all pieces available for purchase so can't hang any just to view only. I don't believe any of your work was "Happy Mistakes". I believe they are part of who you are.

Hey Soul Sis, maybe we can share poems and stories via private for a bit. I haven't had time to put the copyright on any of my stories or poems but when I do, I will post on public forum. I don't believe anyone would do anything or want to do anything with mine but just following Clough's good advice. One thing about this thread is that people are so willing to encourage and to give helpful advice. The new gal that posted her pencil drawings of her and her husband and the second posting of Jolie, sounds so excited about pencil drawing. I am anxious to see more of her posts.

Writing about life's events that are so personal such as death and such, is so taxing since it brings up all the emotion you have experienced. We had death threats on our children and our house was set on fire and her car burned in our drive way at night. It was two years of extreme emotional drain. Anyway, I have 7 journals I kept during that time. I can't even read them, much less write about them so you see why my need is so great to have art in my life. When I was younger, I would think, there are so many more important things I could be doing to help other people and I would put off creating. After this experience, I realized in this ol' fallen world, there is such a need for beauty and art to be all around us. Even now, just writing about this the tiny bit I have, makes my emotions a little crazy.

You mentioned that your photography has been your focus. That IS art!! My daughter-in-law takes amazing photos and just has the gift of timing and capturing the moment! A friend of mine does all of his art from photograhs and then on the computer, makes them paintings. They are all computer art but he sells them right and left. (I think you made your signature and posted earlier with the combination of the two?) I met him through the Utica Show I do each year. My niece helped me with the show and he was very taken with her. They dated for a bit and he also stretched a canvas I had one of my prints on to be the gallery wrap. He is just now getting into having cards and bookmarks made from his work. The first piece I saw you post was a landscape with deep blue color and it would make a beautiful greeting card. Created a real mood for me.

I look forward to many more posts from you! Hope you are feeling better!!

I should never type when I have one of these head vice headaches. Thankful for spell check!! LOL
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2007, 06:00 PM
    Didi, when I "Quote User", I try to remember to delete most of the body of the note. Sorry, I left it on there. Took up more space. May I blame my headache on this?? :)
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2007, 07:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by erlobenauer
    JREBEL -
    I'm going to the library today to get some books, and read on some techniques and what not. Im absolutely embarassed by that last drawing I put up. THanks :)

Where are you E?? I was hoping to see more of your work. Hope to see it soon! :)
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2007, 07:25 PM
    Hi there FB!

I just read your comment regarding the painted footstool. You can borrow it anytime... just let me know when you will arrive! :) Actually, I gave the one you saw posted as a gift awhile back but I have one I have not posted that is here and you can borrow it anytime! Kind words were much appreciated!! :)
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2007, 08:22 PM
    Okay, I took an hour or so tonight to try my first ever (and truly, I mean EVER) pencil sketch. I don't think I have enough skill or patience for it, but it was fun to try and I am fairly pleased with the results. Please don't laugh!! :D

I would be interested in hearing any tips for improvement. I know that I didn't quite get the perspective right on the body and I probably didn't take enough time to do a decent background, but I just didn't feel anything I could do would do it justice.

Here you go! You asked for it! :)

Hugs, Didi
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2007, 08:32 PM
    I also said I would post my most recent craft project. These photos NOWHERE near does this justice. The material has a very light glitter/sheen to it, which looks wonderful in low light, but is not flash friendly. :)

This was made (by me) for a wedding ceremony butterfly release. The couple ordered some extra butterflies and placed them into this 'cage' and used it as a decoration on the gift table. They had their own private buttefly release the next day with the extra butterflies.

I loved making it, but it was a real challenge. I rent it out for a nominal fee. Anyhow, I thought I would show it, such that it is.

Hugs, Didi
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2007, 09:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by grammadidi
    Okay, I took an hour or so tonight to try my first ever (and truly, I mean EVER) pencil sketch. I don't think I have enough skill or patience for it, but it was fun to try and I am fairly pleased with the results. Please don't laugh!!! :D

I would be interested in hearing any tips for improvement. I know that I didn't quite get the perspective right on the body and I probably didn't take enough time to do a decent background, but I just didn't feel anything I could do would do it justice.

Here you go! You asked for it! :)

Hugs, Didi

Hey there! You don't hear me laughing! I love it. I am proud of you for doing pencil. Skill, you are not lacking. You say you are not a patient person. I am not a patient person either, rather hyper most of the time but for some reason, when I do pencils, I am able to almost take on another part of me that I never see any other time! LOL It is a better part of me I think. That may be why I enjoy pencils as much as I do. How did you feel working in pencils as opposed to color? It almost takes on a life of it's own in a black and white world, seeing all the grays, dimensions of black and white. I tend to be an A to Z person and I see life in terms of black and white and don't allow or appreciate the gray areas, yet it takes the gray areas to compliment and complete the drawing. Guess I am getting too philosophical here tonight. I am hoping E will post more of her drawings. She is working on another one. I think this might be your forte. Look at the expression in the eye and the interesting texture in the background. So many artists, myself included tend to do a subject and leave the background white. There is certainly a time for that but with this drawing, I love the background! Keep doing more and let me know if it sort of grabs you. Don't get me wrong... I love working in color also. Each offers its own rewards.
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2007, 09:25 PM
    Didi, I have never heard of such! I love it. When the butterflies migrate, we can drive to Tulsa and they just come in droves. When I lived in California, a couple wanted us to go see where they gather on the trees and cover the trees but we were not able to go. I was sad to have missed that.

Had you heard of this type of centerpiece being done before? I had not. Great idea and you did a great job! Where did they get the butterflies? Special order?

Are the butterflies visible all the time until their release? Oh, I just reread your note. It was a centerpiece and they were released later so they were visible for all the guests to admire? That is fun!
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2007, 09:39 PM
    I actually enjoyed doing the elephant's head. I had no idea I could do anything like that! Up until tonight, the only thing I have ever drawn with a pencil is a stick figure or the very most, a two dimensional house! :P I found that I was getting discouraged, the lines on the trunk didn't quite look right, etc. Then I thought I should try shading, and it made a huge difference - especially around the eye. I was very pleased. I was shocked at the way the eye turned out. I did NOT enjoy doing the body. I just couldn't pull it together. Maybe if I had of had an elephant posing for me?? Hahaha! By the time I came to the background, which I originally wanted to do in leaves and vines, I just felt so incompetent (thanks to the body!) so I just tried to capture the hint of jungle with my shading and scribbles.

Thank you for your comments. I think I would like to try more, but I don't have a clue for a subject. The elephant hit me when I was responding to a post and came up with some ideas for a savannah-like living room, so I just ran with it. I will say that this thread has definitely increased the flow of my creative juices.

Thank you FB for starting this thread, and thank you to everyone who has posted here - whether it be to post their art or comments.

Hugs, Didi

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Need the name of the artist [ 1 Answers ]

Who sings the song and/or the name of the song with the lyrics "tell me if you want me to"

Name of artist [ 1 Answers ]

its goes something like: it was me and you i thought we could nananana. something like that. HELP!:confused:

Where can an artist go... [ 1 Answers ]

Where can an artist go to interact with other musicians online? My girlfriend is an amazing singer/songwriter who also plays acoustic guitar but doesn't really know where she can find band members, etc. I was hoping that someone on here may know. She's got an amazing voice and can really put some...

Name the artist [ 2 Answers ]

I have just downloaded,f**k it(dont want you back) by eamon. I want to know the full name of his ex misses and the songs title she produced in reply to the above.

Need artist name [ 4 Answers ]

The song's name is Angel Its kind of a remake of madonna's It's a dance/electronica version

View more questions Search