Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Feb 29, 2008, 08:44 AM
    “If someone is too tired to give you a smile, leave one of your own, because no one needs a smile as much as those who have none to give.”

“It's possible to forget how alive we really are. We can become dry and tired, just existing, instead of really living. We need to remind ourselves of the juice of life, and make that a habit. Find those places inside that jump for joy, and do things”

“Though patience be a tired mare, yet she will plod.” (Shakespeare)

Yes, my friends, I'm tired today. Tired of surviving, tired of singing, tired of standing. Tired of smiling when I don't feel like it, tired of being strong, tired of trying to move on. I'm just simply tired. I'm going home for the weekend, to curl up in my canopy bed and let my Mom pamper me. When I return, I'll be ready to face another countless days of standing, surviving, and being strong, but I'm going to allow myself to be weak this weekend. To be weak and just be me. There is just so much going on in my head these days - relationship unknowns, family heartaches, job frustrations, personal struggles - that I'm just ready to rest. Ready to put down my sword and sit under my shield for a while, letting the battle wage around me. I'm simply tired.
    jolienoire Posts: 917, Reputation: 166

Feb 29, 2008, 08:51 AM
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs
    Ultra Member

Feb 29, 2008, 01:18 PM
    “Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one” (C.S.Lewis)

“It is by chance that we met, by choice that we became friends.”

“Friendship is like vitamins, we supplement each other's minimum daily requirements”

:)
    jolienoire Posts: 917, Reputation: 166

Feb 29, 2008, 01:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HistorianChick
    “Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one” (C.S.Lewis)

“It is by chance that we met, by choice that we became friends.”

“Friendship is like vitamins, we supplement each other's minimum daily requirements”

I love that one! Great quote... :-)...
    in a state Posts: 80, Reputation: 12

Mar 1, 2008, 05:34 AM
    The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
    -Horace Walpole (1717 - 1797)

Love is not blind - it sees more, not less. But because it sees more, it is willing to see less. -Rabbi Julius Gordon

But when a young lady is to be a heroine, the perverseness of forty surrounding families cannot prevent her. Something must and will happen to throw a hero in her way.
    -Jane Austen
    life1973happened Posts: 322, Reputation: 109
    -

Mar 1, 2008, 06:32 AM
    ~ Trying to forget someone you love is like trying to remember someone you never knew.

~ I don't miss him, I miss who I thought he was

~ I’m going to smile and make you think I’m happy, I’m going to laugh, so you don’t see me cry, I’m going to let you go in style, and even if it kills me- I’m going to smile.

~ There's a girl in my mirror crying tonight, and there's nothing I can say to make her feel all right.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2008, 11:29 AM
    life1973happened
    ~ There's a girl in my mirror crying tonight, and there's nothing I can say to make her feel all right."

I liked the above.

Here are some more I like...

"Don't seek anything other than contentment, because therein is the bliss and the comfort of your body. Then consider the case of a person who possesses the whole world, can he take with him in the grave more than cotton and a shroud?"
    - A poet

"The hallmark of courage in our age of conformity is the capacity to stand on one's own convictions--not obstinately or defiantly (these are gestures of defensiveness, not courage) nor as a gesture of retaliation, but simply because these are what one believes."-Rollo May

"Truth is Timeless, and returning to Truth is better than continuing in Falsehood."
    - Umar ibn al-Khattab (radiAllahu anhu)
    topladyj Posts: 323, Reputation: 13

Mar 1, 2008, 11:34 AM
    -

Mar 1, 2008, 12:15 PM
    "You've got to stand on your own two feet. Even when you don't think your strong enough. You've got the strength God gave all women to survive. You just have to tap into it."

~ A line from the, The Diary of a Mad Black Woman.
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2008, 02:30 PM
    "There's no place like home." :)

(There's nothing like a good friend, too. Thanks K... )
    -

Mar 2, 2008, 07:19 AM
    The hottest love has the coldest end.
    ~ Socrates

I was never one to patiently pick up broken fragments and glue them together again and tell myself that the mended whole was as good as new. What is broken is broken -- and I'd rather remember it as it was at its best than mend it and see the broken places as long as I lived.

~ Margaret Mitchell
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Mar 2, 2008, 07:23 PM
    I can't forgive myself for not having seen this before. I feel remiss for not participating.

Here's my beginning offering:

If you always do what you always did,
    You'll always get what you always got.

Don't let what you can't do interfer with what you can.

If you think you can or if you think you can't,
    Either way you're right.

Live before you die, or you'll die before you live.

Life is like long division, only your pencil hasn't got an eraser.

Nothing worth doing is worth doing only half-way.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time,
    How are you going to find time to do right the second time?

Perfection is an abstract, coldly rigid and impossible to attain
    "ideal"-- but beauty exists all around us, it's only standard is that
    It touches and move the ones who take time to truly behold it.
    Walk in beauty, my friends ~ Van Gogh

I will do my ever best to lighten your load,
    Lest mine seems to be all one should carry.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Mar 2, 2008, 07:28 PM
    Be kinder than is necessary...
    Everyone is enduring some kind of battle.
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2008, 07:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich
    I can't forgive myself for not having seen this before. I feel remiss for not participating.
    LOL... Welcome to the thread Captain :-)
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Mar 2, 2008, 07:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by friend4u178
    LOL.............Welcome to the thread Captain :-)
    I'm only on page ten, or so...
    Still trying to catch up with all that has been shared so far.
    Some very good stuff! I especially like the Lincoln quotes, he is my hero!
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2008, 07:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich
    I'm only on page ten, or so....
    Still trying to catch up with all that has been shared so far.
    Some very good stuff!! I especially like the Lincoln quotes, he is my hero!
    You have a ways to go then , enjoy. And yes some real good stuff. I've really enjoyed this thread.
    friiendz_r_4eva Posts: 11, Reputation: 4

Mar 2, 2008, 07:54 PM
    My name is a quote- friends are forever. And it's true. Your true friends, by what I mean... your true friends are the ones that are always sticking up for you, invite you to most places, share your thoughts and keep your most deepest secrets... never lets a boy get between you and her/him. You can say anything you want to them but yous till have boundries... she respects what you believe in (religion, beliefs etc), she/he doesn't care what you look like on the outside because they think that you're the most beautiful when you show your tru self (aka- personality)... the list is endless and I love my friends so much. Even though there gone they'll always be apart of me :)
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2008, 12:25 AM
    I remember a number of years ago, I was having a very hard time in my life. I posted a bunch of inspirational quotes all around my back door so that I would see them when I was leaving to do whatever for the day. It did help having a visual of them!
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2008, 07:38 AM
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I would not follow,
    I would be at the bottom to catch them when they fall."
    - Unknown

In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit. ~Albert Schweitzer

Friends are those rare people who ask how you are and then wait for the answer. ~Author Unknown

When we honestly ask ourselves which person in our lives mean the most to us, we often find that it is those who, instead of giving advice, solutions, or cures, have chosen rather to share our pain and touch our wounds with a warm and tender hand. The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not knowing, not curing, not healing and face with us the reality of our powerlessness, that is a friend who cares. ~Henri Nouwen

If you're alone, I'll be your shadow. If you want to cry, I'll be your shoulder. If you want a hug, I'll be your pillow. If you need to be happy, I'll be your smile. But anytime you need a friend, I'll just be me. ~Author Unknown

Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion. ~Steel Magnolias

LEAN ON ME (Bill Withers)

Sometimes in our lives, we all have pain, we all have sorrow.
    But if we are wise, we know that there's always tomorrow.
    Lean on me, when you're not strong and I'll be your friend.
    I'll help you carry on, for it won't be long 'til I'm going to need somebody to lean on.

Please swallow your pride, if have things you need to borrow.
    For no one can fill those needs that you won't let show.

You just call on me brother when you need a hand.
    We all need somebody to lean on.
    I just might have a problem that you'll understand.

Lean on me when you't not strong, and I'll be your friend.
    I'll help you carry on, for it won't be long 'til I'm gonna' need somebody to lean on.

You just call on me brother if you need a friend.
    I just might have a problem that you'll understand.

If there is a load you have to bear that you can't carry.
    I'm right up the road, I'll share your load if you just call me.

Call me ( if you need a friend)
    Call me
    (REPEAT AND FADE)
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2008, 07:59 AM
    I find myself at the close of an emotional weekend. A true roller coaster of emotions. By going home, I traveled not only distance, but also time. On Saturday morning, I left as a broken, hurting, sad woman - one that bore what I thought was the weight of the world on my tired shoulders. All I wanted to do was curl up under my shield and let the battle rage 'round me. I learned something this weekend. I learned a little more about myself and my resolve. I learned that my pain is not only mine, that my sorrow was shared, that my hurt was only the half to an unknown equation... and that equation was friendship.

I needed the time at home, the time walking the college grounds where I fell in love with my ex-fiance', the moments reliving my past, the quiet tears at my Father's grave, the pointless laughter at Mrs. Doubtfire with my Mom, the home-town church service, the reality check of being in my single canopy bed again, the reminder that although my past is laced with tears, sorrow, pain, and loss, that it is also colored with joy, happiness, fulfillment, and unimaginable hope.

Sitting in Newlin Hall at Centre College, listening to the beautiful strains of Yo Yo Ma's chamber music - sitting in some of the very seats that I once shared with the love of my life - I realized that, just as some of the notes were dissonant, resounding, and clashing against the plush tapestry of an Ivy League school, other notes floated above the audience, whispering of hope and resolution amidst the chaos of a modern chamber piece. I found myself lost in its strains, following the perfectly ordered randomness of the music... listening for the moment when it would change from its passionate dissolution to quiet peace.

I've found my balance once again. My balance between the ache and the peace, the pain and the healing, the sorrow and the joy. Long may it live in my heart, reigning over my emotions and outlook.

I only hope that I can give just a smidgen of my resolve and contentment to my dear friend who has found herself drowning in the chaos of her symphony. The difference between the music I heard yesterday and the dawning of today is that I am not simply sitting in the audience of her life, I'm sitting next to her, taking my bow to the strings of life and urging her on to a beautiful resolution and the sweet strains of peace.

(Forgive my ramblings, my friends, but I needed more than a few quotes this morning... I needed to paint a tapestry of my life before you, show you its colors, and let its chaotic beauty stand for you to see.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Has technology influenced our customs and ethics? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm not very clear about whether technology has changed our customs or ethics. If so, please present some examples. Thanks.

Need Quotes [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to make some cute christmas gifts by having shirts made from an online site, but I'm stumped on what to put on them. On mine the front will say, Because... And the back will say, I'm the Bride and That's Why I'm looking for one of the mother of the bride (my mom) thought about...

? About quotes [ 8 Answers ]

Hi , I am new to the new construction cleaning business and want to know if anyone can tell me if when the quote for a job by sq footage , is the garage included, or should be included/? Doing a job now and his quote did not add garage which is an extra 800sq ft. this doesn't seem right , that he...

View more questions Search