Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 7, 2015, 05:50 PM
    As far as the U.S. system goes if it is the same as when I was in school and the kids too. They call math what it is by the format they are teaching. Example. Algebra or triginomitry etc. It isnt done by 10 or 20.

What kind of math is he attempting to do? If we know that then we can lay out suggestions because it really is not too late if he can have an epiphinay.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 7, 2015, 06:22 PM
    Alty, can you give us an example of one of his homework math problems.

I don't know what Math 10 or 20 is, but I might be able to help if I see one of the problems.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 7, 2015, 06:42 PM
    I'll have to ask him. His math book is at school today, I'll ask him to bring it home tomorrow and post a few of the problems he's dealing with.

Frankly math is the least of his worries though. English is the class he's failing the most. Big time. Don't even want to say his grade, it's that bad. :(
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

May 7, 2015, 06:44 PM
    What other core classes does he have this year? Has the way standards are taught changed this year? When math is taught from just one way to the answer, it can become especially challenging for those students who learn better with a different approach. Since he is struggling with his other core classes as well, something more could be going on.

Does his school offer study groups? Does he have any friends who do well and who could help him? Has he spoken to his teacher (s) for additional support? Do you know if any of the teachers at his school offer tutoring?
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

May 7, 2015, 08:23 PM
    Alty, here is my point of view. A good teacher should teach to all students. Some can hear the explanation and understand, while others need to see it. The last group is kinesthetic, they need to move----use manipulatives, etc. Some kiddos need all three. A good tutor will take the time to figure out the best way to help your child. Have you ever tried the website called Khan Academy? It's free and has great videos of Math lessons. Another piece of advice: Don't wait. See the teacher right away if your child isn't doing well. They can recommend ways to help, including the times they are available to help your child. They also may know an upper grade child who can tutor and help your son for a great price. Good luck and don't give up!
    Pets Expert

May 8, 2015, 05:59 PM
    Thanks all for your advice.

TJ, I have talked to the teachers. The main issue with math this year is that Jared has had a student teacher for the entire semester. The student teacher is obviously very good at math, but not very good at teaching it. He writes the question on the board, then the answer, says "there you go, that's it" and that's literally it.

Only a few kids in that class are actually passing math. I brought that up when I went to parent teacher interviews, and was told that Jared should simply take Math 10 again next year. I guess I have to hope that he won't have a student teacher again next year, or at least hope that if he does, this person will actually learn how to teach before experimenting on my kid? Don't know.

We've decided to look into tutoring over the summer, just so that he has a leg up next year, and has a firmer grasp on what he needs to know. He's a lot like me. I'm visual, I need to see the question, understand what's being asked, and then see how to solve it. You can't just tell me the rules, I have to know what's being asked and why, and I need to see the steps to solve it. Sadly there are many ways of teaching, and not all kids do well with only one method. They need to be taught the way they learn, and not all teachers can do that, especially in High school.

I'll definitely look into Khan Academy. Videos would most likely work for Jared. :)

On a side note, Sydney is excelling in her classes. She wasn't doing so well, then in the middle of the school year we had a meeting with the principal and put a plan in place. She's now all caught up, getting help every day after school, and she's doing great.

Big difference between Junior high and High school.

It's hard being a mom! :(
    Education Expert

May 8, 2015, 09:21 PM
    Khan Academy may help him. It is really good. Have him look it up online. We have student teachers here, but they work under their Master teacher. They are never alone until they are in their last semester of schooling. I've had lots of them over the years. I am sure the school won't hire this guy for a permanent position. I'm glad to hear one of your kiddos is doing well.:)
    Being a parent is tough! Son #1 is getting married in 4 months.:) Son#2 is in year 2 out of 3 of his program to become a Dr. Yay!
    I'm not sure how I got through it all, but we survived! It'll get easier, Alty.
    Expert

May 18, 2015, 08:41 AM
    On June 8 I will be starting a new chapter in my life. Tonight I will be turning in my notice at the hospital to move on to a better facility. I've spent my entire nursing career where I am, but that hospital is getting so dangerous that I find it is time to move on.

In the last year we have lost 65 employees. Labor and delivery is down to 8 nurses who work labor, nursery and postpartum. These 8 nurses are split between two 12 hour shifts 7 days a week. While I am loyal, I can't do it anymore.

I will get a major salary increase and only work 3 nights a week. No weekends. Did I say NO WEEKENDS?! Oh, and the sign on bonus is oer $4,000!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 18, 2015, 08:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    On June 8 I will be starting a new chapter in my life. Tonight I will be turning in my notice at the hospital to move on to a better facility. I've spent my entire nursing career where I am, but that hospital is getting so dangerous that I find it is time to move on.

In the last year we have lost 65 employees. Labor and delivery is down to 8 nurses who work labor, nursery and postpartum. These 8 nurses are split between two 12 hour shifts 7 days a week. While I am loyal, I can't do it anymore.

I will get a major salary increase and only work 3 nights a week. No weekends. Did I say NO WEEKENDS?! Oh, and the sin on bonus is oer $4,0x00!
    Congratulations on the super career move J ! I will always have to work the mandatory every second weekend !
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

May 18, 2015, 09:02 AM
    Congratulations, J. Sounds like it will be a good change for you. :)
    Expert

May 18, 2015, 09:11 AM
    Thank you both!

Tickle, this facility has a "weekender" program. Nurses work only weekends, they get paid the big bucks though, so that this of us who want full time get weekends off.

I'm tired of being taken advantage of where I am right now. Tired of being called at 1900 and told "you know you are on the schedule tonight?" Only to find out that they changed my schedule that morning so I can cover a different department that is short. Tired of having to work 4 or 5 shifts a week when my contract states I only work 3 nights a week.

Our Director of Nurses recently said, and I quote... " I'm tired of all you nurses complaining about being pulled to other departments. You all took the same nursing boards didn't you?" Well, yes we did, but nurses specialize just like doctors do. You wouldn't want a dermatologist doing open heart surgery on your loved one, would you? So you can't ask an ER nurse to labor and deliver a baby.

I'm really wondering if corporate is trying to close our facility.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 18, 2015, 09:35 AM
    Congratulations J_9. You have to be willing and ready to leave a job... to get ahead because they WILL take advantage of someone they know won't leave on their own. Hopefully this is the beginning of more good events in your life. I managed to double my pay over a couple job moves within just 3 years back in the 80's by finally getting the nerve to do just that.
    Expert

May 18, 2015, 09:41 AM
    Thank you Smoothy! The family is excited because I will be able to be part of the family again and spend time with them rather than just sleep.

Speaking of sleep, I better get to bed. I gave to work tonight, but I have to get up early because HR is going to call at 1600 to finalize the offer. I have one negotiation I forgot today, so hopefully that won't take the deal off the table. My sister is in country once a year, this year it will be the first week of July. All travel plans have been made and everything paid for, so I have to figure out how to negotiate that. I'll still be in orientation so it shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully.
    Education Expert

May 18, 2015, 05:27 PM
    Congratulations! Change can be a good thing!!
    Pets Expert

May 19, 2015, 10:03 PM
    Congrats J.
    Expert

May 20, 2015, 11:35 PM
    I officially turned in my resignation yesterday morning.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

May 21, 2015, 03:10 AM
    Do you feel a sense of relief? Congrats on the new job! Sounds like a good deal all around.
    Expert

May 21, 2015, 07:37 AM
    Do I feel a sense out relief? If having my headphones in and dancing around the house while cleaning at 3:30 am is relief, then yes, I feel a HUGE sense of relief.
    Pets Expert

May 22, 2015, 07:28 PM
    Really happy for you J.

Not to change the subject, but as most of you on my fb friend list probably know, our bunny Kilala passed away last Thursday (well, technically it was Friday since it was after midnight). I was in the bunny/bird/computer room, posting something on fb to a friend, and Kilala suddenly started screaming, literally screaming. I've heard rabbits scream before, in fear, but never mine. I rushed to her cage, grabbed her. She was gasping for breath (rabbits don't breath out of their mouths, only their noses, so if they're gasping, that's a really bad sign). I did CPR as best as I could, but she died in my arms minutes after the scream.

Now we're okay. I'm not posting this for condolences, she was 9 years old, she had a good life, and from the research I've done it sounds like she had a heart attack.

Here's the thing. Sydney is not doing well with this. She wants another bunny. We do not. We still have two, an almost 13 year old, and an almost 10 year old. Adding a younger bunny won't work, adding an older rescue won't work either. It's not fair to any of them.

I've tried telling her this over and over and all she does is cry and say "But I miss Kilala". I know she does. We all do, but having animals means losing them. Unless you get a parrot you'll likely outlive any pet you get.

Part of me wants to go out and get another bunny, a rescue from the shelter, just to make her feel better. But truth told, even though I love bunnies, I know it's not the right thing to do right now.

I'm having a "what do I do" mommy moment. Any advice?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 23, 2015, 01:47 PM
    Congratulations J on your move to a better future.

Alty stick to your guns. Explain to her that it is a dishonor to just get another pet so quickly because she isnt done mourning the last one. That way when she does get to make a choice she can do so with a clear head. Children see the world through a different set of eyes and it is up to us to explain to them the benefits of being patient and showing respect even if it means self sacrifice. It is very hard to say NO when your child is aching but in cases like this there seems to be no reason to rush it. It is part of lifes lessons and growing up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search