Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    antipode12 Posts: 248, Reputation: 8

Apr 18, 2008, 10:30 PM
    Patchy Lawn
    Hey guys -- I posted in the fall about seeding my lawn.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/lawn-g...-121434-2.html

Now, my newly seeded areas have sprouted some decent grass, but I may have been too light with the seed, and it's all thin and patchy. I'd say the new lawn areas are about 60% grass, 40% soil.

How do I correct?

A) Seed some more and top off lightly with topsoil?

B) Rake deep into my new grass and re-seed more thoroughly?

C) Another option?

Thanks,
    Justin
    tomterm8 Posts: 76, Reputation: 8

Apr 19, 2008, 12:36 AM
    This link Royal Horticultural Society - Gardening Advice: Repairing Lawns should help you. Basically you should use pre-germinated seed, with a bit of sand.

Apr 19, 2008, 06:46 PM
    How do I keep birds from eating it?
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2008, 06:57 PM
    I've had luck with "A", but I'm midwest, not NY, and not an expert. If anything, thisll bump your post up in the new posts line...

I seed again with starter soil or, as mentioned, soil with some sand, and care to water well. I tend to throw down some light straw to help with moisture in the fall, but in the spring it might not be needed.

Get through the spring, see how the summer goes, and if you still have issues, seed in the early fall... I really prefer this to ensure good results in the following spring.
    tomterm8 Posts: 76, Reputation: 8

Apr 20, 2008, 05:35 AM
    Well, in my experience, if the soil is reasonably covered with grass, the birds aren't going to find anywhere near all your soil. If it's completely patchy and unusable , the best thing is to put sharp sticks on top of it - I use hawthorn cuttings, holly etc.

Guess you could also net the ground for a coulple of weeks to be 100% sure. Pre-germinated seed isn't going to take all that long to get past the "bird" phase.
    josh1987 Posts: 18, Reputation: -1

Apr 20, 2008, 06:45 AM
    Lightly rake the area where you planted and then spread another good amount of seed. Then like you said sprinkle some topsoil on top so your seed doesn't run away. You might even use a turf builder fertilizer on the newer grass too.

Apr 21, 2008, 08:47 PM
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried to just throw the seed down, but the birds went wild.

I bought some netting and staked it above the grass. Seems to be working.

KP, I took you advice and topped off with soil, too. I figured it'd help stabilize and keep moist.

I'll let you all know how round 2 goes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lawn chief riding lawn mower forward and reverse [ 4 Answers ]

The lawn mower will not go forward or reverse, What should I check to fix this problem?

Faux finish to cover patchy drywall [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. I have a very small half bath on my first floor. No exterior walls. I gutted it and redid the drywall myself. I must say, I did a pretty bad job finishing the drywall. It's pretty patchy in spots and in the corners. Can anyone recommend a faux finish technique that would work well in a...

Patchy beard growth [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm 18 years old and am able to grow almost a full beard however I get a patch on the left jawline of my face maybe 2-3cm in size that no hair will grow at all, apart from that I am able to grow a full beard, is there anyway to help this grow, e.g medicines from doctors or any type of tratment I...

View more questions Search