Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CarlyTD Posts: 51, Reputation: 3

Apr 18, 2008, 11:16 AM
    What makes a tenant?
    I have a friend who lives in a building in Washington State, with no lease, and in exchange for rent, acts as the caretaker of the building. The building is being sold or transferred. Is my friend considered a tenant (she has lived there for 18 months) and does the new owner need to provide any notice that she needs to vacate?

Can the new owner shut off utilities while she is still living there?

Thanks
    Alias652 Posts: 8, Reputation: 3

Apr 18, 2008, 12:58 PM
    I'm not familiar with the legal process in Washington state, but I suspect that unless she's an owner of the building, whoever the building is being transferred to can legally determine who stays and who goes, including but not limited to your friend. A tenant is defined by someone who rents OR OCCUPIES space. So, yes, your friend is considered a tenant in that building, just with the absence of a lease. At least in the state of California, tenants can legally be evicted if the apartment building is being converted to condominiums or a family member wants to take over the unit. I imagine similar laws exist. A legally binding lease agreement can't be broken or, technically, is protected by the law and must be honored. But if there's no contract protecting your friend, the new owner isn't breaking any existing arrangements. From what you tell me, your friend is a tenant without the protection of a contract. None the less, the new owner also has rules that he or she must follow. An allotted time must be granted for existing tenants in that building. Usually a legal eviction notice is given. Certain features must exist on a legal eviction notice, though, and what those are in the state of Washington are unknown to me. Your friend can go to the Tenants' Right and find out from the Board of Tenants what those exactly are. For example, in California, there are a number of reasons a tenant can be evicted. A legal eviction notice must contain reasons within those lists. It can't just state, you have to be gone. If a notice isn't presented legally, you don't even have to abide by it because it isn't legally enforced. Well, that's how it works in California. Again, I imagine the same rules exist in Washington state. I suggest doing a Google search to find out relevant information in your state.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 18, 2008, 02:44 PM
    Yes they are a tenant, they are also an employee. So they will have to be notified that their job is ending and a notice that their rental is ending

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tenant vs tenant disputes [ 3 Answers ]

Need suggestions with tenant to tenant disputes HELP!! >Moved from Feedback board<

My boyfriend never makes the first move and makes a lot of excuses about sex [ 14 Answers ]

Well I am a recovered sex addict and I have some emotional issues as well but sex if very important to me and my boyfriend and me never have sex anymore I don't remember the last time we even were intimate sometimes if I start touching on him he will normally just jerk off to finish and its so...

Leasing Tenant evicting another Tenant [ 1 Answers ]

What is required by the court in the state of Michigan for a listed Tenant to Evict a non listed Tenant on a lease/land contract when the non listed Tenant pays the monthly rent, and all utilities are in non listed tenants name at the residents and both have been a resident from day one and the...

Tenant vs. Tenant Dispute [ 2 Answers ]

Hello All, I have recently had an issue arise with a neighbor a few doors down. She has called in noise complaints that are unfair and some that are just plain false. These complaints have caused us issues with our leasing office. If we continue to get these complaints from this neighbor we...

Tenant evicting another tenant [ 2 Answers ]

The Lease is in my name and my husband is listed as a tenant, how do I get him out? Will I have to evict him? If so, how do I go about this, there really isn't a lot of information on one tentant evicting another tenant. Please help.:confused:

View more questions Search