Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    memere8 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2008, 08:04 PM
    Ending child support
    I live in Connecticut and have 2 children. I am obligated to pay child support until they are 18, or end high school, whichever ends later. The two children are not the same age, therefore having the support ending at different times. How do you stop payment when currently the support is directly deducted from my check. There is no specific amt per child, just one payment. I do not want to have to continue support when it is supposed to have ended. Who do I contact or what action do I take to have the one child's support end at the appropriate time?
    shequitac Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2008, 01:10 PM
    I know in California you would need to apply for supoort modification... get a court date with the help of a self center if possible and they can assist with forms from there.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2008, 01:15 PM
    Are you certain there is no language in the order of support making an allocation for each child? If not, I believe the previous answer will apply to you: you will need to request a modification.
    JAMIET Posts: 73, Reputation: 12

Apr 17, 2008, 04:08 PM
    When I paid child support, same thing, 2 kids, different ages. The state I live in just adjusted it for me in a letter they notified me of the new amount, which just basically cut the amount in half.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Apr 18, 2008, 09:53 AM
    Contact Child Support Service in your area. Bring all documents including court order.
    08_777444 Posts: 111, Reputation: 16

Apr 21, 2008, 10:24 AM
    My husband is divorced and has 2 children who are different ages also. When his oldest graduated, the court made the adjustment to his support automatically. He did not even have to contact the court for this to happen. They sent him paperwork indicating that the support had been modified. However, you could contact the court, just to be sure that this is the same in your state, or county.
    dhensley Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

May 3, 2008, 08:04 PM
    Live in ga. Here you have to request a modification of child support amount. You can have your lawyer draw it up. Then it goes before the judge for approval. No big deal, but you need to do it or check into it several months before you want to stop paying. We ended up having to pay about 4 months extra. Just my opinion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

Ending of Child Support [ 3 Answers ]

I have an 18 year old son who did not finish high school. He ended up going to a charter school (still part of the San Diego Unified School District) because his grades were not good and could not graduate with his class. He was only going 2 days a week. Recently, the teacher informed me that he...

Can you ask for child support on a child if you OWE support for the same child? [ 13 Answers ]

We have had custody of my daughter for 12 years. Tons of things have happened in those years. My daughter has truly shown her true colors. Three years ago she went to live with my mother, who I gave legal guardianship to. She has now done the same things to my mother. She is almost 17 years old and...

Signing over rights & ending child support [ 15 Answers ]

I am a single mom, living in Indiana. I have an 8 year old daughter. Her biological father has not seen her since she was 1. After her birth, he requested a paternity test & was then ordered to pay child support. He has not paid for almost 6 years, but he also has not seen her, so I don't...

Ending child support in VA [ 7 Answers ]

Just want to find out how child support is terminated by the state of VA now that child has turned 18 and graduated high school, actually graduates in 3 or so weeks. Will a phone call by myself or attorney be able to have the court stop the payments or does my employer just stop the witholding...

View more questions Search