Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suddenImpact Posts: 175, Reputation: 23

Apr 4, 2008, 06:20 AM
    Shared Printer
    I share an office with a co-worker, we recently got our own inkjet printer for our office. I have it hooked up to my computer using a USB cable, and shared so she can use it. If I send something to the printer, it takes maybe a second or two. If she sends something to it, it takes almost a minute to send. Anyone know if there is a way I can speed this up?

Another co-worker was telling me to try to install the printer using the generic/text only driver, but when I try that, it won't print at all.

Thanks for any help!
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Apr 4, 2008, 07:02 AM
    Since the speed at which she prints is dependent on first sending all of the data through the network to your computer and then sending it on to the printer, there is not much you can do to speed it up.

You can change the way you access the printer by adding a print server. It is a small box that you connect to the USB cable of the printer (instead of your computer) and it is then connected to your network. Instead of you computer acting as a print server, the box does this job. You would then both print directly to the printer.
    suddenImpact Posts: 175, Reputation: 23

Apr 4, 2008, 07:07 AM
    Unfortunately, our company won't let us spend any more money :( The weird thing is, before we got this printer, we used to print into another persons office, who's printer is hooked directly to their computer and shared, and it went fast.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Calling all Lexmark X6570 Printer Owners - Is my printer damaged? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I just purchased a Lexmark X6570 Printer(wireless printing, faxing, photo printing, scanning, copying, and printing all in one). I now need the help of others who own this printer as well because I'm not sure if I purchased a faulty/damaged printer. I have installed the printer and...

Adobe PDF Printer disappears off printer group [ 2 Answers ]

I have been using Adobe Acrobat Professional 6 for several years (have 2003 version) and all of a sudden when I attempt to convert a Publisher Document to a PDF document using the 'printer' the Adobe PDF Printer and/oris missing from list of available printers. I have removed the Adobe Acrobat...

Vista Printer Driver for NEC SuperScript 870 Printer [ 0 Answers ]

Need a Vista Printer Driver for my NEC SuperScript 870 Printer.

Getting out of a shared lease [ 2 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I signed a one year lease in June of 2005 in California. During the year our house was sold, and the new owner apparently assumed our lease as the property manager stayed the same. We have never signed anything, let alone seen, spoken, or communicated in any way with the new...

Network access to one shared printer has failed [ 2 Answers ]

I have a windows network. Computers are Win98SE #1, Win98SE #2, XPsr2 #1 and XP sr2#2. I have USB printers attached to 98SE #1 and XPsr2 #1. Printers are shared. System in place for approx. 2yrs and has worked fine. About 3 weeks ago XPsr2 #1 had difficulty accessing the printer on Win98Se #1....

View more questions Search