Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lwade09 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2008, 08:53 PM
    First time DUI at 17
    Wow...
    Where do I begin.

Saturday night I got pulled over for not making a complete stop at a stop sign. When the cop pulled me over he played it off like he was going to give me a warning (after we had been having a conversation about my step dad because he's a cop to, and they work together). Well, next thing you know he asks me to step out of the car and made me take a breathalyzer . I had two beers 3 hrs before getting pulled over, I blew a .06 and now I have a dui. My mom sold my car the following Monday, so... definitely don't have a car now. I've never been charged with anything before, and to make matters worst my mom is claiming she doesn't want to get me a lawyer.

My question is..
    1. without a lawyer is that just going to make things worse?
    2. with a first time charge, will I do community service?
    3. if the charge gets dropped does it get dropped from going on my insurance as well?
    4. if it is on my insurance, how long will it stay on there and how much will it go up?

I live in Arkansas if that helps with the laws and everything. This dui has been hell I feel like a sex offender and definitely have been treated like one...

Any help is MUCH appreciated.
    4ndr3w5 Posts: 14, Reputation: 0

Apr 1, 2008, 09:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lwade09
    wow...
    where do i begin.

saturday night i got pulled over for not making a complete stop at a stop sign. when the cop pulled me over he played it off like he was going to give me a warning (after we had been having a conversation about my step dad because hes a cop to, and they work together). well, next thing u know he asks me to step out of the car and made me take a breathalyzer . i had two beers 3 hrs before getting pulled over, i blew a .06 and now i have a dui. my mom sold my car the following monday, so...definitely don't have a car now. i've never been charged with anything before, and to make matters worst my mom is claiming she doesn't want to get me a lawyer.

my question is..
    1. without a lawyer is that just going to make things worse?
    2. with a first time charge, will i do community service?
    3. if the charge gets dropped does it get dropped from going on my insurance as well?
    4. if it is on my insurance, how long will it stay on there and how much will it go up?

i live in arkansas if that helps with the laws and everything. this dui has been hell i feel like a sex offender and definitely have been treated like one...

any help is MUCH appreciated.
    1. Not really only because even if you only drank 1/2 bottle of beer it would still show up and they could still arrest you for DUI.
    2. Yes, most likely because they want you to learn you're lesson.
    3. No, it stays on you're driving record for 7 years even if it gets dropped.
    4. I'm not sure how long it will stay on you're insurance, but it will get dropped when you turn 25. All insurance policies are lowered when anyone turns 25.

Hope that helps. My dad works with the county Court house in my county and knows all the cops out here too.

You're lucky you're in Arkansas, if you were in TX and an actual sex offender, you have to put a sign that says "I AM A SEX OFFENDER" in you're yard. That's a state law there!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2008, 04:55 AM
    It really does not matter if you have an attorney or not. Underaged drinking is generally frowned upon. What were you doing drinking in the first place let alone getting behind the wheel of a car? Your car insurance company will know about the DUI in short order and should you continue to drive your premium rates will skyrocket to put it mildly. Start either taking the bus or begging rides from other people. Your mom did the right thing by selling the car. You obviously don't deserve the responsibility of car ownership. Driving is considered a privilege - not a given as most people treat it. As far as being a lawyer, that's up to your mom if she decides not to fund your education. Being a lawyer means that you are a responsible citizen and an officer of the court. Until you prove yourself otherwise, your mom has the right idea. You may or may not get community service, but should you get any kind of probation and court ordered attendance at an alcohol program - go and attend the program faithfully - and pay any fines you may get and don't do anything foolish to jeopardise your probation and you'll learn your lesson. Car insurance for you will be doubly costly until you are about 25 or 26.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DUI, Now what? [ 13 Answers ]

Hi. Well, this is a question I never thought I would ask. But here goes. My husband got a DUI last night. I am out of town visiting family and he was/is going to join me on Saturday. He told me over the phone this evening. Needless to say I was a little shocked. I think driving while under...

? Dui #2 [ 17 Answers ]

:eek: Okay- so to make a long story short, I was arrested for second dui in june- blah blah blah- got my license suspension overturned by dmv so it's valid until I'm convicted- still going to court once a month to try to get this crud straightened out-... Well- I went to my last court...

Is this DUI? [ 2 Answers ]

I was arrested 4-days before Christmas for DUI. I passed the DUI test with a score of .061 which is under the legal limit in Florida. Why was I still arrested? I am mortified. I had 1-drink. Troy :(

Dui [ 3 Answers ]

I got pulled over last night for speeding and I had had a couple of drinks earlier in the night. Even though after taking me down to the station I tested a .06 on the first blow and a .07 on the second blow the officer still cited me for speeding which makes sense but he also wrote "Driving under...

Dui [ 5 Answers ]

I was arrested last night for a dui. I made an illegal you turn and a officer pulled me over. I don't remember what I blew on the breath test, and I failed the soberity tests that were given to me. I moved from Illinois to Arizona. I lived here for a year now. This is my first offense, and the...

View more questions Search