Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    c7c7 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2005, 09:31 PM
    Hair Extensions
    I have reasonably short hair, but I really miss having long hair, and I want to get extensions. I heard it's expensive, but I was thinking that if I bought the hair myself, I could, or have a friend, braid it in for me? I was just wondering how I go about this, and how long the extensions last.
    lylcoop Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2005, 06:44 PM
    I do my own extensions...
    Hello,

I have been doing my own extensions for about 2 yrs. Now. I don't braid them in though. I glue them in. I have considered learning how to apply them another way, and will buy a fusion kit soon. You have to be careful if you do this yourself. You can cause damage to your hair and scalp if you do this wrong. You should visit plenty of websites and get as much knowledge as possible.

lylcoop
    Nicolle Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2006, 08:54 PM
    I do my own hair extensions too, however I have clip in ones, where you by around 4 clips for each layer of hair and sew them across at the weave at the top, and then clip them in, and you can take them out for showering/sleeping so the extensions last longer :]

Feb 27, 2006, 07:52 PM
    Hi,

I was wondering what you meant by "sew them across at the weave at the top"?
    Nicolle Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2006, 07:58 PM
    They're these special clips which you buy and you can sow them at the top of the extensions where you would usually glue it or weave it in, if you get me?

Feb 27, 2006, 09:54 PM
    Hi Nicolle,

Ok, yes I get you. Do the clips really stay in? What if it is thin, fine hair?
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Feb 28, 2006, 12:56 AM
    I have naturally long hair, down to my breasts with some long layers, but I think short hair is cute. However, most people prefer the long hair look. Extensions are very popular, a lot women are turning to hair extensions, even celebrities wear them. Hair extension uses a variety of attachment techniques. Here are some techniques used when applying hair extensions.

Fusion- This is a process done strand by strand in small sections. Using heated adhesive sticks and glue gun made for hair extensions, extension hair is added directly to your own hair.

Weaving - This is a process which you create a corn row or track around the head and close to the scalp. Extension hair is sewn on the tracks. Your own hair lays over the tracks for a natural look.

Bonding - This is the easiest method. A bonding glue is applied onto the weft of the extension hair and then applied at the root of your hair. This is a temporary method.

Clip ins - Clips have been sewn onto human extensions hair. You may clip these in and out yourself.

Mini-Links - This method uses no glue, no heat, no remover and also no damage to the hair. Small circular links are used. Your own hair is pulled through in small pieces with a tool that looks like a crochet hook then the pre tipped hair is put inside the link and it is squeezed tight.

Tape on and seamless – This is a hot new product. The wefted part of the hair is made from a polyurethane really thin flat strip that is already pre taped with a stick double sided tape. You just pull the backing off and apply the hair.

Extensions are usually applied by a stylist but some women are doing this at home. Ladies, if you can't go to the salon, ask a friend to help you put in the hair extensions.
    justbonds Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2006, 03:42 PM
    I am a hair extensionist and I'll be the first to say that there are ways of applying your own extensions.

The benefit of having them done professionally is that the likelihood of them lasting longer is far greater. However, you can use clips, as mentioned above, or simply glue the extensions in yourself on the weft. This won't last too long but as long as you have the glue to hand you can keep topping it up.

Those that pay for extensions generally want them long term. If it's just a temporary measure then there are plenty of options available to you.

They look great! It never ceases to amaze me the difference that long hair makes on a person. X
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Apr 12, 2006, 11:53 PM
    Personally, I don't recommend that women do their own hair extensions. If someone does not have proper training, many things can go wrong, including some of your natural hair falling out or even being ruined. It's important that the person doing your hair is trained and educated properly in hair extensions. Make sure you do your homework in selecting a stylist. All hair extensions have the potential to cause damage to your hair. The experience of the hair stylist is the biggest factor in positive results.
    justbonds Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2006, 06:19 AM
    I agree that chooosing the right extensionist is vital. But in doing your own extensions, it doesn't need to be damaging. Especially if you're using clips, it's an absolute walk in the park and to cause damage that way would be virtually impossible.
    oneofcser Posts: 4, Reputation: 1
    -

Oct 29, 2006, 07:36 PM
    Comment on PrettyLady's post
    I am from china,supply hair products,I think I can give you some help
    -

Oct 29, 2006, 07:44 PM
    Comment on lylcoop's post
    I am from china,supply hair products,I think I can give you some help,you can contact me via [email protected]
    -

Oct 29, 2006, 07:45 PM
    Comment on Nicolle's post
    I am from china,supply hair products,I think I can give you some help,you can contact me via [email protected]
    -

Oct 29, 2006, 07:47 PM
    Comment on justbonds's post
    purpleroses Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2007, 11:15 PM
    My first post got deleted somehow or I'm just not seeing it so...

Okay so, I'm reading on a lot of sites nowadays that it is not recommended to do your own hair extensions by weaving. This is ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE. I've been doing my own hair extensions for a year and a half now (I'm talking actually corn rowing and sewing the weft to the cornrow, not this clip in crap) Hair extensions can look very natural if done properly. When I first started doing them it took me around five or six hours, this is very dedicating work so don't sit down for an hour and expect them to be done. Please be aware that this may not be the exact professional way of doing hair extensions, I have had no training whatsoever and do not assume responsibility for hair extensions done wrong by you or a friend or for any damage you may have caused to your hair using my method. It’s pretty impossible to do damage to your hair with this method if you follow my instructions. I advise to READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS A COUPLE OF TIMES BEFORE STARTING.

What you'll need:
    1.Hair, European quality is what I use (look for the word Remy) I get mine from a couple of different places down in Metrotown, which is located in Burnaby B.C. These places are right outside the Kingsway exit of the mall and right across the street and to the right a block or two. The closest one is Bijou and then down the street a little bit more in a somewhat hidden storefront is Abantu.

2.Thread, (matching the color of hair) available where you buy your hair

3.A straight or curved needle, about an inch and a half long. (I prefer to use a straight needle, simply because the curved ones like to flip around on you and it's rather irritating) the straight needles are available from any sewing/knitting stores, just make sure that they're NOT POINTY. After all you will be sewing something into your hair and you
    WILL poke yourself if it's pointy believe me. Not to mention this can do a number on your fingers.

4.Proper shampoo/conditioner. I DO NOT recommend any of the Redken products simply because through my own experience it strips off whatever they use to glue the hair into the weft and in turn makes the hair weft not only not last as long but makes the hair fall out all over the place. You can use the leave in conditioner if you must and ONLY spray it on the ENDS but don't get it close to the weft. Shampoo/Conditioner you can use is anything Garnier, Thermasilk (I you like to blow dry your hair) or Got2B products. I especially fancy Garnier Fructis: sleek and shine force and Anti-Frizz leave in soothing serum, Got2B: hottie leave in instant mender and anything Infusium 23 and their new line of (repair)ologie (including shampoos, conditioners and leave in conditioners) When you have extensions, leave in conditioners are your best friends.

5.Little plastic hair ties, I'm talking about the tiny half inch sized rubber ones you get from the dollar store. (it's best if you buy them in clear or if by some miracle, you find them in your hair color that will do too.) You can also buy these where you get your hair but they tend to be thicker and bulkier.

6. A good wide toothed comb or a nice big extensions brush. These are a MUST, you should have both but you can get away with either, the brush is available for around sewn dollars Canadian at any hair extensions store. I know Abantu carries it for seven plus tax.

Now that you have your materials it's time to start. DO NOT CUT THE HAIR ON THE WEFT YET. I will tell you when to do that later.

Some may find it's easier to do with your hair wet, some like to do it dry, it's all about preference. I like to do it with my hair wet but I have very fine, but thick hair so it's easier to soak my hair and tie it up so no little frizzies get caught in your braids.

Part your hair all the way around your head at your temples, making sure to stay even all the way around and taking care to keep the back part of your hair a little bit thicker than the front, as this has to cover the bulk of your weave. So you've done your part, what do you do from here? You braid. Now I'm not talking about your regular everyday braids, I'm talking about corn rowing across your scalp, if you don't know how to cornrow or what it is, you can either get a friend who knows how to do it or you can have someone teach you and practice on a doll or something to perfect your technique. This is the longest part of your extensions, with the exception of sewing in the wefts as a close second. I like to do separate cornrows for the sides of your hair closest to your temples as it is easier to blend and hide when you put it up, but we’ll tackle these last. Start your corn row at a temple on either side of your head and follow the line that you have parted, taking care to make the braids as small as possible, of course as you gather more hair, they will get bigger but try to gather as small a portion of hair as possible. Some will prefer to stop in the middle of your head, if you like to wear pig-tails or double French braids a lot I would recommend this but if you don’t really care then keep going all the way across. Stop just before getting to your other temple and (this is the hardest part about corn rowing your own hair) twist the braid and begin corn rowing underneath the corn row you just finished (told you it was hard, next time I do my hair I will take pictures and upload them so you know exactly what I’m talking about.) Keep corn rowing, decide how many tracks you want, I usually do two or three for my hair but any more than that on me will be hard to hide with the rest of my hair. You will repeat the twist method for each new row. DO NOT, corn row any farther than an inch above your neck hairline or you will see the braids if you wear a high pony tail. Once you are done with this side braid down the hair that is left of the braid in just a normal braid and fasten the end with a plastic hair tie. Let it hang here as you are not done with it. Do the same to the other side.

So now you have these two braids hanging down, Take out your trusty needle and thread and stitch the braids into the cornrow so they cannot be seen hanging down anymore. Now your hair is tracked and ready for the hair. Carefully measure how wide your tracks are and cut the hair weft accordingly. You can add as much hair as you would like, I usually use a whole package, you need to keep about five inches of hair weft for the side pieces. What I’ll do is measure the length of the braids from one side of my head to the other, then fold the hair over and double the weft, it makes your hair look thicker and you won’t have to sew as much. Once you’ve doubled the weft size you cut it and stitch the two layers together and stitch it into your hair, it is easiest to start from the bottom and work your way up. Measuring and doubling and cutting as you go. Take care especially stitching in the parts at the side of your head and all ending parts of the weft as these tend to come out first because they are being pulled up and down and around as you style your hair.

Now for the side parts, cut your five inch strand of weft into two sections of 2.5 inches. Go just above your temple braids but not too far ( you don’t want to see the braids under the top of your hair.) and corn row a small section in a straight of diagonal line (depending on how your hair is parted/grows) I usually do diagonal so it’s easier to put our hair up. You might want to make this section slightly longer or slightly shorter than the piece of hair you have, if there’s overhang you can always stitch it into the braid, attaching to the other corn rows. Tie the braid off with a hair tie and stitch that braid back into your other cornrow. Do the same to the other side and then stitch in the hair. Voilà! You’re done at last!

Upkeep is pretty simple, lots of leave in conditioner mentioned above and shampoo your hair gently every 2-3 days as normal, making sure to condition extensions before shampoo and after. If you have to blow dry(lets face it we are all in a hurry,) then blow dry. Hair extensions will dry a heck of a lot slower than your hair so sometimes they need a little bit of help. They will itch a little bit or a lot, depending on how tight your braids are for the first couple of days. After that you won’t even know they’re there. Braid them before you go to bed or lay down so your hair is above your head while you sleep. Treat them as your own hair and good luck! Any questions feel free to contact me at [email protected] or on here through your comments.
    honesty Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2007, 10:52 AM
    Instructions on how to weave in hair extensions
    purpleroses Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2007, 12:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by honesty
    instructions on how to weave in hair extensions
    Not weave in. Stitch in "weaves."
    Cassondra Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2007, 10:23 AM
    I personally wouldn't do them myself. I would just pay to get them done. It actually isn't that expensive. I've had mine glued in for just about $70 and I've had them Sowed in for about $150 and neither of those prices is bad at all. I've heard of places that charge about $500-$700. Good Luck.
    hairqueen Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2009, 09:19 AM

Removing hair extension glue is a very serious issue, that so many women take lightly. Your hair can become more damaged or thin if your hair extensions are improperly removed.

There is a product called Take Down Remover Cream (Take Down Products) that was specifically designed to get the hair glue out and SAVE your hair.

Also if you leave your extensions in tooo long and your hair gets a bit matted or tangled in the extensions-the Take Down Remover will detangle your hair safely as well.
    Lovenickolette Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2010, 12:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by c7c7 View Post
    I have reasonably short hair, but I really miss having long hair, and I want to get extensions. I heard it's expensive, but I was thinking that if I bought the hair myself, I could, or have a friend, braid it in for me? I was just wondering how I go about this, and how long the extensions last.
    I do hair extensions I'm ranked number two in northern California and I do fusion! The best price in California and 6 years experience. Give me a call.. Nickolette Flynn professional stylist -707-688-9916

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hair extensions and layering [ 6 Answers ]

Hello I just got extensions and they look great! But I need to get them layered in order to look a little less "fake" can anybody post a pic of long (straight) "extended" hair that has been layered? I am going to my own hairstylist (not the person who did the extensions) I'm wondering if regular...

Hair Extensions [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter recently purchased hair extensions and we are wanting to know how to glue them in. Can anyone help?

Hair Extensions [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I am new to this board I came across it while looking to find someone to do my hair extensions. I ordered the preglued keratin tipped fusion hair and the kit to put them in and the person that was going to do them for me had heart problems over the last few weeks and now can not do it. I am...

Hair Extensions [ 1 Answers ]

Gods2003angel: How and what are the steps to apply hair extensions and how to go about starting it. Like if the person wanted the hair extensions sowed into there hair:)

Applying own hair extensions [ 1 Answers ]

Well I am after hair extensions. Heard the best way to apply them is kind of weaving then a loop thing... hmm, I don't know. Not gluing, cliping or heating. Apparently you can do it yourself/or a friend, and it is pretty successful. If any one can help me out, tell me what it's called, how its...

View more questions Search